Isle of Mull

NFMC
NFMC Posts: 232
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
Going on a family holiday to Mull (staying in Dervaig) in August. I seem to remember a route in a Cycling Plus magazine a few years ago.

I'm taking my bike with me anyway. Can anyone recommend a good route for a tubby hill averse commuter on a hybrid???

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hill averse?

Nae chance! :twisted:

Just been to "Ballamory" on a weekend family trip and thought some of the roads would make for a superb weeks cycling break.
    After Salen though it is mostly single track and the island ranges from fairly hilly to very hilly :P

PS:- Am Birlinn outside Dervaig is a highly recommended seafood restaurant! Mmmmm 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    There isn't really much choice to recommend a route - you will find your own. That said, a trip to Iona is worth your while (though not much in the way of roads there - the Abbey or the west coast). The main road from Tobermory to Craignure is good for cycling (but there are some speedy motorists) and you may as well keep going and do a circular back home. Watch the kye (coos).
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Mull is pretty good for cycling if dry! The west side, passing Calgary Bay, etc. is very scenic & at the north end you can do a loop & get in some good hill training around there and Dervaig. I take my trusty Cannondale tourer as it's robust and won't rust.
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    I was there last year and had a great time - except when my rear hub went belly-up on me halfway across the island.

Here are some photos and a write up...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 39742&v=KP
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • NFMC
    Thanks...much appreciated. I went to Mull as a kid (last there in 1982...I think) and can remember the hills. Think I'll just have to get on with it!
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    craignure to tobermoray road I found a bit irritating recently because there was quite a bit of traffic on it and it gets so narrow that you seeem to be stopping eevry half mile.

There seems to be a circular route that goes craignure, toberm, kilchoan, strontian,lochaline back tocraignure and oban and as the ferries discharge a dozen vans and 4x4's are released to charge round it. evryone was good natured, though.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Mull is beautiful. Unfortunately for you, the road to Dervaig is hilly. If you get the chance to go to Iona, it is worth taking a late ferry and staying in the hostel. That way, you miss the hoards of bus trips.
  • RonL
    RonL Posts: 90
    As you know by now you have possibly chosen the most hilly location. Calgary Bay is close and there is a lovely tea room there. A trip back to Salen slightly hilly but then out to the tip of the peninsula is superb. Care required for wandering sheep however. You shouldn't miss Iona and if you can stay overnight all the better, there's lots to do. Fingals cave is also well worth visiting.
    Have a great time.
    Pedaling spans generations.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    The wee island of Ulva, 100 yds off the coast, is a gem. When I went there there was a little bar that sold Guinness & local oysters. Kind of place where they grew tomato
    plants in the public telephone box. Trips to awesome Staffa go from there.

Also, while I'm here, for sheer variety, the best 3 day cycle trip in Scotland is:

day1: Ballachullish to Lismore island then ferry to Oban
    day 2 ferry from Oban to Caignure on Mull. Cycle to Tobermory
    day 3; ferry from Tobermory to Ardnamurchan. Cycle to Strontian ferry then
    back to Ballachullish.
  • NFMC
    An update on this - I took my bike ( and so did the wife and the kids but they didn't get used!). You were all right about the hills...wow! Even going down to the (one) shop in Dervaig for milk and the papers meant an epic battle back up the hill.

From my cabin in Dervaig I basically did a few rides around the days out with the kids ( so rides to Calgary Bay) and one to Tobermory and back. Now I'm far from an experienced hill-cyclist (commuting in Manchester and then Sunday rides around the rolling hills of Cheshire are about the extent of my rides nowadays) but going from Dervaig to Tobermory nearly killed me. Col du Mull!

But...the rides were beautiful and I was barely trroubled by traffic. Some amazing scenery and I certainly enjoyed my beer that night.

Thanks for the advice. If (when) I go again I'll take the bike and do a bit more riding.

Never did get to Iona or Ulva. After driving all that way I couldn't be bothered getting back in the car for mega drives across the island to get the ferry.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Alain Quay wrote:
    The wee island of Ulva, 100 yds off the coast, is a gem. When I went there there was a little bar that sold Guinness & local oysters. Kind of place where they grew tomato
    plants in the public telephone box. Trips to awesome Staffa go from there.

Also, while I'm here, for sheer variety, the best 3 day cycle trip in Scotland is:

day1: Ballachullish to Lismore island then ferry to Oban
    day 2 ferry from Oban to Caignure on Mull. Cycle to Tobermory
    day 3; ferry from Tobermory to Ardnamurchan. Cycle to Strontian ferry then
    back to Ballachullish.

Not bad.... but too many ferries, and you should really throw in GlenCoe and a circuit of Loch Leven!! I am just back from Glasgow - Ardrossan ferry to Arran, over string. Ferry to mainland, up through Oban to Port Appin. Next day Loch Leven circuit and Glencoe, Rannoch Moor, night at Bridge of Orchy, then back yesterday down Loch Lomond. Excellent 3 days!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    NFMC wrote:
    An update on this - I took my bike ( and so did the wife and the kids but they didn't get used!). You were all right about the hills...wow! Even going down to the (one) shop in Dervaig for milk and the papers meant an epic battle back up the hill.

From my cabin in Dervaig I basically did a few rides around the days out with the kids ( so rides to Calgary Bay) and one to Tobermory and back. Now I'm far from an experienced hill-cyclist (commuting in Manchester and then Sunday rides around the rolling hills of Cheshire are about the extent of my rides nowadays) but going from Dervaig to Tobermory nearly killed me. Col du Mull!

But...the rides were beautiful and I was barely trroubled by traffic. Some amazing scenery and I certainly enjoyed my beer that night.

Thanks for the advice. If (when) I go again I'll take the bike and do a bit more riding.

Never did get to Iona or Ulva. After driving all that way I couldn't be bothered getting back in the car for mega drives across the island to get the ferry.

Glad you enjoyed Mull, I love it to bits.... go there in the spring and go out to the islands - Staffa, Lunga etc., and see the birds nesting - it really is awesome. However, I cannot believe you went to Mull and didn't visit Iona, it is a lovely drive and is quite a magical place.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"