Winter road cycling expedition - where to go?

Garrigou
Garrigou Posts: 145
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
Got a 4-5 week break coming up this winter (Jan/Feb) and am considering a longish 'expedition'/tour. Guess the Southern hemisphere is where the weather might be kindest, but mega air fares to Australia/South America would be out of budget. Want to ride Road tourers rather than MTBs. Any suggestions on places that might be viable weather, decent riding & not too expensive to get to? Oh, and 'her indoors' won't want us to be riding through war zones / areas with high threat of kidnapping etc! And nor would I. Cheers for any suggestions/practical experiences.
Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Kerala South India is one I fancy myself.that time of year.Also Cuba who everyone raves about for cycling.Should be charter filghtsprices avaiable. but in Havana its carnevale time midto late febraury..We Brits Eat Pancakes instead!..Nice carnivale (same time as the Venice one) is one of the more famous ones in Europe
    jc
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Lots of countries in Africa would fit the bill - I can recommend Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zambia, Namibia and Botswana (and Ethiopia, but you'd need MTBs) from personal experience. You wouldn't need a MTB, but you would need a pretty robust bike if you wanted to really explore. Something like a Dawes Galaxy with Schwalbe Marathons would be fine.
    More problems but still living....
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Flight research already underway on a few of them. But any other bright ideas still welcome. Cheers.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.