3 frames broke

sheepshifter
sheepshifter Posts: 115
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Help what the hell am i doing wrong within the last 18 months ive managed to brake 3 hardtail frames .My style of riding is xc singletrack and the odd blast around one of the many centres dashed around.The bikes broke were 2 fishers and now a pace 305 , all broken in the same place,where the seatpost tube meets the top tube just above the weld.I,m not a bad rider i dont get pinch blowouts or buckle wheels just break frames including a burly hard hitting long travel in the way of the 305.Still waiting on the outcome with the pace the fishers were gladly replaced under warranty.
PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Perhaps you are running with your seat post past the max level, Therefore not having enough post left in your frame for its own safty, this will possbly break the area you have mentioned.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Seems likely, do you buy frames on the small side?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    that would be the obviouse logic.... try running a longer post inserted futher into your frame..... or a Droppy post run all the way in so as to retain the dropability
    I like bikes and stuff
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    What he says ^^

How much do you have the seat post hanging out by and what length is it?
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    edited July 2010
    ^+1, it's normally the main reason for damage in that area, most seatposts have a min insertion depth from around 70mm-80mm for shorter posts (200-300mm) and 80mm-100mm for longer posts (300-400mm).

Doubt anyone would warranty it if that is the cause of the damage,owners fault.
  • sheepshifter
    I run a thomson layback 367mm with 200mm inserted which goes beyond the min insertion line on the pace.Has for frame size im only 5ft 8" surely a medium of any brand is more than big enough .Thanks for your replys im slightly mythed perticaly with the pace hope they feel fit to chage under warranty.
    PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS
  • -liam-
    Often, the safety marks on the seat post are for the seat post only and are not specific for any frame...

Common sense says that you need at least 1.5 - 2 inches of seatpost past the centre line of where the cross bar is welded to the seat tube. If you're not hitting that then you will split the frame.
  • sheepshifter
    Yes the mark on the pace frame im a good 2 inch below that
    PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS
  • -liam-
    Either you are 33 stone or it is just bad luck then ;)
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Or you're sitting while storming through rock gardens.
  • Do you ride sat down all the time?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have seen many fail in the same place - I thought it was a known problem to Pace.
  • sheepshifter
    My style riding is very much out the saddle after back surgery my knees tend to absorb the rocks.My body weight is 13 stone and im 41 years of age so getting air off every keep is slowing leaving me.Didnt know this was a general problem with pace i hope to god the customer service there is a1 has ive always sworn by their products, none made in england anymore perhaps the quality has dropped.Thanks for all your comments keep going with suggestions.
    PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    On the gary fisher front my dad and a mate have both broken their Tasajaras (sp?) when the seat tube/top tube meet and both got a Big Sur frame under warranty as it was a design fault. What Fishers did you have?
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • supersonic
    It is becoming more common, and I blame it on sloping top tubes and relativley longer amounts of seat tube jutting out. Add in a long post and it simply can't cope. Needs bracing properly. A few carbon Zaskars have done it too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Konas have had sloping top tubes since the dawn of time though, and haven't had a problem.
    I reckon the root of it is that frames are being aggresively lighened to tick more marketing boxes.
  • supersonic
    That is what I meant, they are not bracing them properly or making them thick enough at the top.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you can't sleep either, huh?
  • sheepshifter
    The fishers that broke on me were hoo koo e koo, and a big sur the last replacement a 2009 big sur hydroformed tubing and beefed up around the seat tube.No probs yet no quibble under warranty either not even a charge for rebuild.Still waiting on pace no chance of a upgrade there i bet and build up charge.I tend to find the neash smaller brands tend to protect thereselves prior to the consumer,hoping to be proved wrong on that shout ill have to wait and see.
    PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS