Why are MTBers friendlier than roadies?

Stoneboy
Stoneboy Posts: 20
edited July 2010 in MTB general
When out riding if I happen to be on a bit of road and pass roadies coming the other way I reckon only 10% will nod/say hello/etc

If i'm out on a trail I reckon at least 90% of MTBers will nod/say hello, and of those a good portion will want to stop and chat.

How come we are so much nicer?

Everyone else seeing the same, or do I have this all wrong?

Is it a dual purpose gene that inclines you to going offroad at the same time as being a good sort?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Middle aged dog walking women seem to be the unfriendliest.
    Also, quite a few runners don;t say "hello" back. BUT, having done some running myself, I can sympathise, since a few people gave a quick hello to me, but I just didn't have any spare energy to say anything back, even though I wanted to acknowledge them :oops:
  • ALF H
    ALF H Posts: 1
    no mate it's cos a lot of roadies are a bit sniffy
    What what :)
  • Anonymous
    Oh, just thought, maybe the reason MTBers are generally cheerier, is because we generally ride for fun.
    I've come across several fitness obsesses XC riders, who behave exactly like roadies.
    I don't think they're enjoying themselves as much as the rest of us.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    are they?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've come across several fitness obsesses XC riders, who behave exactly like roadies

Meh, I usually say hello to everyone on bikes, some respond, the least likely group to do so are the freeride-rad-core-gnarl-fest folk, who often just give a slightly confused look.

Some people are friendly, some aren't, I don't think it really matters what type of bike they're riding, if at all, I find it rather odd that it bothers some people!

Do you say hello to people you walk past in the street? You are both walking after all!
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Untrue.

I'm an mtb'er and I hate roadies!! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I never get the speed roadies. Head down, all about speed, not looking at the surroundings. Why not just go to a gym?

Myself, half the point of MTB is to explore and be outdoors. I'd rather not be staring at tarmac and breathing in fumes.

But yeah, it's all about fun really, and meeting others who just like to have a laugh. I don't class myself as any category, it's just find like minded people, go explore, do something dangerous, fall, have a laugh :D.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    Do you say hello to people you walk past in the street? You are both walking after all!
    Actually, yes I do. It's quite a friendly place round here.

Freerider types tend to be friendly too, I've found (apart from one rather obnoxious bunch of cnuts in Llandegla)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why not just go to a gym?

Because it's soul-destroyingly boring, whilst a long summer road ride is a very pleasant activity!
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:

Because it's soul-destroyingly boring, whilst a long summer road ride is a very pleasant activity!
    Oh dear. I think someone needs to ban you from the MTB forum for something like that.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    They're too busy looking out for tiny objects on the road that will damage their spindly little wheels :lol:
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    find that less mtb people say hello these days, on tarmac it's as good as zero.

roadies are generally weird.
  • i dare to do both road and mountain biking, and i find that as a rule, MTB riders are freindlier, probably because they go out for the fun of it. :shock:
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    This thread is sinking into the pathetic.

Are you really discussing the merits of who or who doesn't say hello to you when riding? And why is it that other styles of cycling come in for such vitriol?

C'mon boys - grow up

By the way - "Hello" :wink:
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • I think its the Lycra, i mean i wouldnt speak to anyone wearing that just incase i met them while in normal clothes and they laughed at me.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I actually don't think it's cos their being rude I think it's cos most of the people you see on the road (if you ride at a certain time of day) are commuters who are only on a bike to get to work and back.

I've nodded at loads of people as I pass them who fit into this category and got no response back. I only acknowledge people on road bikes now who look like they are properly into biking. People on-road on mtbs don't tend to fall into that category.

Before I get shot down in flames for this attitude, I'm a mtb'er first and a roadie second! Actually, I'd class myself as a biker.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    On the whole I’ve found that “trail/xc” types are really friendly, with the exception of (as some have said on here) the hardcore XC “training” types. We often see a few of them out on our club rides, often have had them tut at slower group members, which inevitably results in us faster riders chasing their roadie on MTB asses into the technical bits at a speed much faster than they would like.......

Interestingly though, I’ve noticed a trend for some pretty surly attitudes from downhill/dirt jump types but I’m wondering if some of that is because they’re mainly teenage or early twenties boys?
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    I think it's partly an outdoors thing. When you're out for a walk in the countryside it's quite common to say hello to people you meet, when walking down the pavement less so!

I pass a mixture of cyclists going the other way on the longish countryside-ish bit on my commute, and generally give them a glance and a nod - probably about a third to half of people acknowledge it, the type of bike doesn't seem to make much difference.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'd say there's no difference between roadies and MTBers that I meet.
  • ALF H wrote:
    no mate it's cos a lot of roadies are a bit sniffy
    What what :)
    -Liam- wrote:
    Untrue.

I'm an mtb'er and I hate roadies!! :lol:
    njee20 wrote:

Oh dear. I think someone needs to ban you from the MTB forum for something like that.
    They're too busy looking out for tiny objects on the road that will damage their spindly little wheels :lol:
    I think its the Lycra, i mean i wouldnt speak to anyone wearing that just incase i met them while in normal clothes and they laughed at me.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Anonymous
    The irony content in this thread is so high that you could create a set of weights with it!
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    dodgy wrote:
    I'd say there's no difference between roadies and MTBers that I meet.

Same here, they're all pillocks, i wouldn't waste me breath talking to any of 'em
  • nicklouse
    so which of you nutc s want to have a disagreement?

the rest of you normal people have fun and smile :P :P
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    Because roadies are always being beaten by MTBers and are always pissed off because of this, so every time you see one they're all grumpy :roll:
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:

(necks a whisky and slams glass down theatrically)
    Them's fighting words, buddy

:lol:
  • Anonymous
    edited July 2010
    This post never happened
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

(necks a whisky and slams glass down theatrically)
    Them's fighting words, buddy

:lol:

jus got in fam the pub so wat you expect.

(PS I am soberish and can type quite normally if required).

:wink:
  • _ _ _
    ( ) _ ( ) ( )
    | | ( ) | | _ _ ___ | |/') __ _ __ ___
    | | | | | | /'_` )/' _ `\| , < /'__`\( '__)/',__)
    | (_/ \_) |( (_| || ( ) || |\`\ ( ___/| | \__, \
    `\___x___/'`\__,_)(_) (_)(_) (_)`\____)(_) (____/

wtf is that supposed to be?
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    _ _ _
    ( ) _ ( ) ( )
    | | ( ) | | _ _ ___ | |/') __ _ __ ___
    | | | | | | /'_` )/' _ `\| , < /'__`\( '__)/',__)
    | (_/ \_) |( (_| || ( ) || |\`\ ( ___/| | \__, \
    `\___x___/'`\__,_)(_) (_)(_) (_)`\____)(_) (____/

wtf is that supposed to be?

I think it was a roflcopter, but it's crashed....
  • Anonymous
    I don't think it's dawned on him that ASCII art doesn't work on this 'ere forum.

and on that talk of Whisky, Hmm, I've just got found a bottle of Jack!