Fixed vs Float

Jordan93
Jordan93 Posts: 336
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Since having an operation on my right leg just before Christmas and being non-weight bearing on my right leg for 3 months i obviously lost abit of strength. Its been 3-4 months since i've been allowed to bear full weight and participate in any exercise. When i pedal i can tell still that my right leg is still weaker. Which cleat would be better for getting that strength back? Would fixed help more due to less leg movement?

Comments

• robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    You'd find that with any training your strength will come back very quickley to the level it was before. I was off weights for 3 months following a motorbike crash and lost loads of strength especially in my right shoulder. Started weights agin and its coming back very quickley.

I doubt it'd make much difference really. If you've had any knee/ligament damage then prehaps flat pedals would allow your leg more freedom... but if theres no resitriction in movement i'd stick with clipless

:)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Fixed or float cleats will make no difference to getting the strength back. Only time and training (and perhaps some gym work) will do that.
    Re the merits of both I can not see any real advantage of fixed cleats. They are harder to set up as they must be spot on. The risk of accidental un-clipping when sprinting or otherwise heaving about is greater. I would stick to float ones.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    John.T wrote:
    The risk of accidental un-clipping when sprinting or otherwise heaving about is greater.
    Exactly! It confuses me why Cavendish (and a few other sprinters) used fixed cleats. :?

I'd maybe try doing some work in the gym to get the strength back. Maybe do some weird intervals on the bike where you unclip the good leg and go balls out with the weak leg for a bit. :lol:
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Horses for courses. I've always used fixed cleats and hate the feel of floating cleats. I've never found them hard to set up (Look delta cleats leave an impression in the sole to aid positioning of new ones). Plus I wear the same shoes 95% of the time.