essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Nice one. Thanks.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    ....followed by 'Death on the Mountain: The Story of Tom Simpson'
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    ...then followed by 'Thoroughly Modern...The Bicycle'
    Documentary series about objects the Edwardians either invented or advanced. One of the most important inventions of all time, the improvements made by the Edwardians meant the bicycle allowed the city dweller to escape to the country, provided a truly democratised means of transport and is even credited with widening the gene pool.

Thanks Dalton, I wouldn't have spotted any of those!
  • iplod
    iplod Posts: 83
    preceded by Britain by bike.
    SOLITUDE. It's not for everyone.

Trek 5.2 madone 2007
    Ribble audax/winter 2010
    Bianchi infinto 2012
  • Sky box set to record it 8)
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Missed the first 25 mins but thoroughly enjoyed the rest. Now watching the Tom Simpson story. Could be a late night (by my standards) :)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Well, that was bike geek heaven.
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Thoroughly enjoyed that!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Interesting programme, he talked to some interesting people, but the inaccuracies (had he not heard of Super Record?) & to my mind somewhat strange product choices annoyed me a bit. He likes Continental tyres and Brookes saddles, fair enough. Brian Rourke's a frame building legend. But carbon bars on a steel frame? Why, on your very best bike, Record & not Super Record, and then a (relatively- $360) cheap wheel set- and why not go to a British wheelbuilder? Nonetheless, enjoyable enough.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • prj45
    It was a shit bike in the end, looked awful!
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Was worth watching just for the part where they showed the Chris King factory. Especially the part where the headset cups were laser written 8) that looked really cool.
    I don't think he liked Shimano as he wouldn't even name them, calling them the giant Japanese company.
    Also enjoyed the bit with Joe Breeze & Charlie Kelly on their clunkers.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I grew up in Stoke on Trent and was proud to see Brian Rourke as the framebuilder of choice. Enjoyed the programme. The missus did not.
  • prj45
    Gussio wrote:
    The missus did not.

Man, you wanna hear how much mine griped about me watching an hour long program about bicycles at 9pm?!

I think if I had insisted on watching the one after I'd be dead by now.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    prj45 wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    The missus did not.

Man, you wanna hear how much mine griped about me watching an hour long program about bicycles at 9pm?!

I think if I had insisted on watching the one after I'd be dead by now.

I wasn't even allowed to record it! She's going out tonight tho, so I'll watch it on iplayer followed by the Tom Simpson story which i was allowed to record because she knew about him
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • pinkertigs
    pinkertigs Posts: 31
    Loved the show but too many foreign parts what about hope hubs and royce BB mind you he only had an hour to fill so he had to sacrifice somewhere. I agree the bike looked a bit of a mess but he is true bike geek like us all, great program.

Wife loved it too, lucky me
  • prj45
    prawny wrote:
    I wasn't even allowed to record it! She's going out tonight tho, so I'll watch it on iplayer followed by the Tom Simpson story which i was allowed to record because she knew about him

F***g hell, we're such WUSSES!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Great evening in! Bit of a coincidence that I'd ordered the book about Tom Simpson yesterday morning. I didn't read this post beforehand so was lucky that my mum called and didn't switch over until well gone 8 :cry:

Fingers crossed it'll be on catch up TV.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • es330
    es330 Posts: 46
    prj45 wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Ditto! My missus said, "three bloody weeks of the tour and now this?!! Enough!" I retorted by saying I have to put up with Casualty, Holby City and Eastenders ever bloody week of the year! We appeared to find common ground after that.
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • prj45
    es330 wrote:
    Ditto! My missus said, "three bloody weeks of the tour and now this?!! Enough!" I retorted by saying I have to put up with Casualty, Holby City and Eastenders ever bloody week of the year! We appeared to find common ground after that.

Ah fair enough, I don't watch the tour, so can understand where your missus was coming from now!
  • benno68
    I just said I'll pop upstairs to watch it, being the considerate soul that I am :wink:

"No No - watch it down here", I really would have preferred to have watched it upstairs in the piece and quiet but there we go.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    prj45 wrote:
    prawny wrote:

WTF, men?

Seriously. Man up. Wriggle out from under that thumb. :shock:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    prj45 wrote:
    prawny wrote:

WTF, men?

Oi! We get nagged enough at home. Don't need it on here as well!
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    prj45 wrote:
    prawny wrote:

WTF, men?

But make sure she doesn't see you watching the topless "body-art" burd in Portland.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    It might be just me, but I found the Tom Simpson documentary pretty tragic. It might have been largely self-inflicted, but someone basically riding themselves to death is still difficult to watch even in grainy black and white footage. Most of his contemporaries still seemed to find it difficult to talk about over 40 years later.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • benno68
    rjsterry wrote:
    It might be just me, but I found the Tom Simpson documentary pretty tragic. It might have been largely self-inflicted, but someone basically riding themselves to death is still difficult to watch even in grainy black and white footage. Most of his contemporaries still seemed to find it difficult to talk about over 40 years later.

I'm with you rjsterry - sounded like it was part of the cycling culture for many of the riders in those times and he put himself under so much pressure to win - a very sad end.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Seriously that was weird, I'd just picked up my new commuter from Brian Rourkes literally HOURS before this was on.

My missus disappeared upstairs for an hour doing god-knows-what while it was on, so no moaning, especially about surprise boobage. She wanted Eastenders on after though, so i'll have to watch Death on the Mountain on catch-up.
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    She was wearing tape over her melanin patches so she wasn't even topless!
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • prj45
    snailracer wrote:
    But make sure she doesn't see you watching the topless "body-art" burd in Portland.

That pales into insignificance alongside the risk of absent mindedly leaving the TV on channel 954 when you go to bed and have her get up early in the morning and switch the TV before you get to it...
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Before the Tom Simpson doc I was watching a doc on American college basketball about a guy Hank Gathers who died on court during a game.

Not the most fun evening I've had in front of the telly :(
    <a>road</a>