thanks

Comments

• ridelikeapro
    ridelikeapro Posts: 139
    Tuscany - it's ab fab!!!
    Click link under menu (left side): www.gregarios.co.uk
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Trouble is where do you start/finish? Lots of places in both countries.

The Dolomites are pretty spectacular. With lots of choices eg the Via Claudia Augusta. Busy enough, but not too busy. Lots of attractive small cities and towns to visit but not touristed out. Plenty of hotels and campsites. Lots of local cyclists so pretty bike-friendly. Easy access from Treviso airport etc (or IIRC sleeper to innnsbruck).
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    I've done a few tours in Italy (Marche, Umbria, Tuscany, Dolomites).
    The Marche is a great place to tour. If you like quiet, visit places like the Piano Grande, Castelluccio - population about 40 and very isolated.

Some write-ups of those tours here which might give you some ideas...

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/

Cheers... Allan.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Pyrenees.

Went there two years ago, did the Alps last year, going back to the Pyrenees in Sept (see Pyrenees Coast to Coast thread for route). Quieter than the Alps and they felt more compact, less long drags between Cols.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Ditto re Pyrenees. Quieter than the Alps & less expensive too. And if you want the odd 'recovery' day, it's easier to get out of the mountains onto gentler terrain.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    edited July 2010
    http://www.explore.co.uk/Explore/UI/Dos ... rs/CCM.pdf
    Canal du Midi is on my wish list.but maybe its too easy going...DIY if you want to do more mileage or dont like a group ride (..and save money of Course!)but as a company I think theyre ok.for anyone else who wants a very easy bike ride.
    jc
  • andymiller
    Oh and when it comes to France, don't forget Corsica. Spectacularly beautiful. should be on everyone's list of places to ride at least once in your life. I've not been in the main season, it's pretty quiet in May and June (and no doubt September/October a well).
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Or Sardinia. Both these islands have some spectacular riding but are quiet in terms of traffic.
    M.Rushton
  • The sardinia regional government has just published a road book for road cycling touring as well as some nice promo videos of the island
    Peter
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    3rd the Pyrenees. Did the Eastern section in Sept, v quiet, fewer tourists than the bigger central region but local riders out in force. Flights from Stansted.
    You would expect a mediterranean terrain which you get on S faces nearer the coast but it is suprisingly alpine.
  • shawman
    shawman Posts: 76
    Yes to the Pyrenees.
    Cycling the Lavedan Valley is the best!!!!
  • andymiller
    The sardinia regional government has just published a road book for road cycling touring
    Peter

Great - thanks for that.
  • DTH
    DTH Posts: 303
    Have done the pyreanees "Raid" and Alps Geneva to Monte Carlo.Both where fantastic. Thought the Alps were more spetacular, depends what your after?? We looked for the big climbs, just to say you've done it.

Were ever you go you'll have a great time

We are off to Italy next sept. Innsbruck to Venice via the hillest route we can find!!
    if it\'s not dripping of your nose, your not trying!
  • Have a look at "the grand traverse of the massif central", a Cicerone guide: it is a signed mountain bike route but the book has full road bike and walking alternative suggestions. IThe route runs from Clermont Ferrand to Montpellier and Sete in the south. The massif central, Auvergne and the Cantal, is one if not the least populous parts of France. I've never been but am looking into doing this next summer. The length varies according to the route followed but will be around 500 miles. It is a hard life in this area as winters are very cold and the land not very productive. It is mountanouus, the high point mounrt Aiguol at 5133 feet.
  • andymiller
    Have a look at "the grand traverse of the massif central", a Cicerone guide: it is a signed mountain bike route but the book has full road bike and walking alternative suggestions. IThe route runs from Clermont Ferrand to Montpellier and Sete in the south. The massif central, Auvergne and the Cantal, is one if not the least populous parts of France. I've never been but am looking into doing this next summer. The length varies according to the route followed but will be around 500 miles. It is a hard life in this area as winters are very cold and the land not very productive. It is mountanouus, the high point mounrt Aiguol at 5133 feet.

I have the GTMC on my wishlist as well. I don't know how it compares with the Cicerone guide, but you might want to check out this one as well (assuming you speak French)

http://www.chamina.com/dossiers/gtmc/default.asp
  • Had a very quiet 2 weeks in Britanny at the end of September. I was glad that I spent a bit of time plotting the campsites which were still open on my map though. www.campingfrance.com invaluable.
  • Andy miller. just checked that out; the Cicerone route is the same mountain/road route but where the signed route goes off road Cicerone gives an alternative road route. You could of course use the map to find your own route based on the mountain/road bike route, but the Cicerone guide does have a lot of background information that it is worth having if you are going.
  • I'm biased, but there are some excellent (and quiet) areas of Languedoc, France to cycle in. Try Lozere first, if you like mountains. It is the least populated area in France and ideal for riding. The Pyrenees and Aude are also excellent, if you do it out of season a little.

I have a cycling site devoted to the region, if you're interested on finding out more:

http://cyclinglanguedoc.com

Bonne Route!
  • If you haven't already planned your route, try the Deux Sevres in Poitou Charents. I live here and run a small cyclist friendly B&B. I am a cyclist and enjoy the undiscovered countryside - rolling hills,quiet roads. No mountains but there are some good climbs. Have a look at the website: www.bluebicycleholidays.com