prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
A place I'm sure many of us know well:

http://www.lfgss.com/thread47965.html

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Those photos do not look good. Hope the cyclist lives to tell the tale.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Boris scrapped the pedestrianisation of PS.

It's an eyesore now, a traffic-infested blot on what is I think a UNESCO Heritage Site.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    underneath cab, going southbound.... pics do not look nice,

fingers crossed for cyclist!! :(
  • prj45
    on what is I think a UNESCO Heritage Site.

It's not. Boris has been spinning that line recenty in regards to the peace camp protesters though, but it's not a world heritage site. It is surrounded by one on two sides though.

Here's an article about the canned project:

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/buildings/tec ... 11.article
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Oh dear. Go through that junction every morning and it is always dicey as cars coming from two directions try to pick their way through one of three routes out. Fingers crossed for the victim.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Don't think the pedestrianisation of the square would have made a blind bit of difference to this accident. If the cyclist was heading south, and the truck was heading east towards the bridge, as has been suggested, then one of them must have jumped a light. Obviously, this is based on sketchy information, but the lights at that junction do not allow people out of the end of Whitehall at the same time as people heading towards W'minster Bridge.

All of which is rather beside the point for the poor cyclist. Don't imagine the truck driver is feeling that great about it either.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Yes, not good. Esp as the cement lorry wasn't turning anywhere. It was going straight on.

So HTF did it get a rider under the cab? Either the driver simply ran into the back of a cyclist who was waiting in the ASL box and pointing towards WB, or a cyclist turned right across the front of the lorry (cyclist going from WB exit to turn right up Whitehall) and misjudged it.

Not a nice sight. I ride through that junction, in that direction, and usually in that lane every morning, as do a lot of regulars on here I suspect.

_________

On the pedestrianisation, I'd rather Boris didn't do it. Having to avoid Pt Sq puts a big kink in my route. When it shuts down for the opening of Pt, it's a right PITA.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • prj45
    Pufftmw wrote:
    RLJ?

By the cyclist?

Doesn't look like it, if they were struck coming down whitehall and crossing onto the square the lorry would be much further forward.

Most likely scenario to me is that cyclist stopped but lorry didn't.

But we don't know.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    prj45 wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    RLJ?

By the cyclist?

Doesn't look like it, if they were struck coming down whitehall and crossing onto the square the lorry would be much further forward.

Most likely scenario to me is that cyclist stopped but lorry didn't.

But we don't know.

There's another way: buses and bike can come off WB and turn right across those lights to head up Whitehall. Conceivably a bendy bus could have pinged an amber (as if!) with a cyclist tailgating it through the red. The lorry driver would have not been able to see the cyclist until quite late, then the back end of the bus passed in front of him.

However, looking again at the pics though, I'm not sure that the lorry is far enough forward past the front of the ASL for that to make sense. Perhaps the rear ending option is more likely after all.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ooh, that's not good. Cycle through there every day :cry:
    Greg66 wrote:
    However, looking again at the pics though, I'm not sure that the lorry is far enough forward past the front of the ASL for that to make sense. Perhaps the rear ending option is more likely after all.
    We don't know but that looks most likely scenario. Most cyclists enter the ASL box from the left. There's not much of a gap and the lane is squeezed a bit by the traffic island. Not sure any cyclists at the left of the ASL would be visible to the driver of the cement lorry. It would only take a slow getaway from the lights to get tagged...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • All speculation & probably not a good thing. Relative of victims find these threads so it is worth being sensitive to that. Wait for facts....
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    All speculation & probably not a good thing. Relative of victims find these threads so it is worth being sensitive to that. Wait for facts....

+1
  • prj45
    Saw aftermath of bike/cement mixer accident in parliament sq earlier. London Ambulance says man in 50s taken to hospital with leg injuries.

http://twitter.com/helenandchips/status/19660266319

Phew, doesn't sound like a death.
  • prj45 wrote:

Quote it for those of us wasting company time?
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    prj45 wrote:

Quote it for those of us wasting company time?

"Saw aftermath of bike/cement mixer accident in parliament sq earlier. London Ambulance says man in 50s taken to hospital with leg injuries."
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo