Cav in Yellow in 2011 Tour....

2»

Comments

• daveecp
    daveecp Posts: 15
    I'd be surprised if they had a summit finish on the galibier as well as alpe d'huez
  • perhaps they want to DQ him on stage one?
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Pross wrote:
    TTT?

FFS :roll:

Why? It balances things out a bit as it doesn't favour teams loaded with mountains doms.

Will Cav be likely to end up in yellow if it finishes at the top of a hill?

I hate them. They're dull, irritating, and make perfectly good riders who have poor teams suffer even more then they should already.

They warp the GC, and allow one team to easily dominate a race by having plenty of cards high up GC to play with.

Not everyone can have a massive team to play with, so why punish those who can't?

Most people prefer a man against man fight, and TTTs work to do the opposite.

Above all though, they're so BOORING, unless the crash, which seems to happen a lot, thus permenantly ruling them out of the GC completely, since there's no time to 'get back in the peloton' or the such like.

It's a waste of a stage.

Not sure I agree here.

"Man against man" only comes into play in the last 5km of a mountain-top finish (once all the worker bees are burnt out), which in itself can be rather dull and predictable. Likewise, flat stages are controlled by sprinters teams - equally dull and predictable. I'd like to see a Tour with a bit of everything - like anything in life!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I would have thought Alpe d'huez is likely to make a return this year. I wonder if we might see an ITT up a climb this year? Shame the Tour doesn't visit Mont Ventoux all that often, it's such a beautiful spectacle.

I wouldn't count Cav out too soon if HTC can bring the field back together and drag him up the hill. He seemed to cope pretty well with the run into Revel this year which included a 3rd category climb.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Think he struggled a bit towards the top of the climb (HTC dropped off the front and allowed Vino to go) before getting back into position for the finish. He wouldn't have been in contention at the top although that climb would appear to be a bit tougher than this finish.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Pross wrote:
    Really hope they make more use of the Massif Central, some good climbs and some of the most beautiful scenery in France.

Totally agree. Been to most departments in France and cycled through a lot of them, but very impressed with the Massif Central when I went through it this year. Big terrain.