Is Phil Liggett ok?

RichardFcp
RichardFcp Posts: 155
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Watched most of the tour via Eurosport this year and only caught the Phil and Paul show on Channel 4 for the last stage. I was shocked to see how gaunt Phil looks. Has he just been training too much or is there somehting else going on?

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I'm guessing but all that suction draws the cheeks in :wink:
  • :D
    Dan
  • rich_pcp
    rich_pcp Posts: 113
    I seem to remember that he was suffering from a nasty attack of LA* fever which was incurable even when exposed to a dose of overwhelming evidence.

*Lick Arse

or

*Lance A

you choose
  • RichardFcp
    RichardFcp Posts: 155
    Am I to infer from the above, of which I know not, that Phil walks lightly in his cycing moccasins? :shock:
    I don't know of any problems - he's 67 years old, and as an active cyclist it appears he's gone for the thin old man look rather than the fat old man option. At that age thin and gaunt are pretty close together, so that probably explains it.

As to being 'light in his moccasins' I've no clue, you should probably ask his wife Trish.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Looks OK concidering that he's ancient!
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    Don't worry about Phil: he is...

too+liggett+to+quit.jpg.jpg
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    his commentary was particularly deranged this year... i did wonder if he wasn't 'all there' at points.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    patchy wrote:
    his commentary was particularly deranged this year... i did wonder if he wasn't 'all there' at points.

He does seem to be suffering a little from Secondary Murray Walker Disease*, where he needs a co-commentator who knows what's actually happening and what people are called to keep him in line.

*(Not to be confused with Primary MWD, where the commentator curses the commented upon to painful impacts at strategically important moments. I've heard rumours that Liggett is no longer allowed to say Jens Voigt's name, just in case.)

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    verloren wrote:
    patchy wrote:

He does seem to be suffering a little from Secondary Murray Walker Disease*, where he needs a co-commentator who knows what's actually happening and what people are called to keep him in line.

*(Not to be confused with Primary MWD, where the commentator curses the commented upon to painful impacts at strategically important moments. I've heard rumours that Liggett is no longer allowed to say Jens Voigt's name, just in case.)

Bit of a bugger they gave him Sherwen then :shock:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    looks in pretty good shape to me...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    This year was dreadful performance.

I understand the Lance fixation, but he just can't identify riders. Sometimes he's not even close and Paul seems embarrassed.

His best moment though was when he refused to give an inch in chaingate. It just shows that you can be clueless and correct all at once.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Pross wrote:
    verloren wrote:
    patchy wrote:

Bit of a bugger they gave him Sherwen then :shock:

You betcha !
    Of the two, I think I get the impression more often from Sherwen that he's commentating on a different race to the one I'm watching...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    You can't say that - he rode the Tour himself you know :wink:
  • ligget.jpg

http://www.bike-eye.com/endorsements.html If the image does not come out, here he endorses a cycling product.

In this photo he does have a tummy but I have long marvelled at how lean Phil looks. Looks a bit like a winter/autumn picture as well.

I've read Phil's Cycle Sport for years, I didn't notice a marked change, he confuses some riders names every year.

What I have not seen addressed because I have not kept up with Phil that much is how he and Bob Roll believed Landis through Floyd's remonstrations that he was innocent of any doping use. For too long, to keep politics out of it, all things seem to centre on LA with many, I have felt they blindly defend some of these people and of course, they have a financial stake involved.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    He could be a good signing for HighRoad... :D
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    He's just 67 years old and doesn't look any diff. than he did at 64:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Philliggett.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Bakunin wrote:
    This year was dreadful performance.

I understand the Lance fixation, but he just can't identify riders. Sometimes he's not even close and Paul seems embarrassed.

His best moment though was when he refused to give an inch in chaingate. It just shows that you can be clueless and correct all at once.

atop the tourmalet was my favourite....

"Alberto Contador will definitely contest the stage win, he wants a stage win, few yellow jerseys have won without a stage win, he needs a stage win...

Oh he let Schleck take the stage, well he definitely should have done that, it's the descent thing to do!"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • He may be suffering from a touch of Walkerism, but at 67 he's not doing too bad?

Fair play to you, Phil.
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned......
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    His face last year compared to 2008 was very different. I reckon he's had a facelift...