Boardman Road Bike Comp - anyone own one? Thoughts?

GarethB
GarethB Posts: 11
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
I've been riding a Charge Plug single speed (until it got stolen). I didn't use it that much but I would ride it to and from work sometimes. 11 miles each way.

I'm looking to get a bit more serious with my cycling , riding further, getting out into the country.
Maybe building up to entering some serious distance rides.

However, I still need it to do the commute on.

Does anyone own one of these bikes? What are your thoughts?
Any other recommendations around the £700 mark?

Comments

• Ive got one, and I love it.

I rode the focus and the carbon boardman and a Trek and prefered the Comp.

Best thing is to try one and see, although Halfords don't have a specific test ride policy my store let me run it up and down the road.

I have been fortunate to own some serious bikes when i was a bit younger and competing seriously and I reckon this easily measures up to them!
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    The Comp is a damned fine bike - it will easily cope with longer rides and you'll be able to take about 10 minutes off your commute.

The only caveat I'd have is that the tyre clearances are pretty close (although this will also apply to a number of 'race' orientated bikes) - so you will be a little restricted in your choice of mudguards for commuting. Crudguards or raceblades will fit though.
    Cycling weakly
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I don't own one - If you can put up withthe fact that the bike screams 'i got it from halfords' - and that the build by the halfords staff isn't always great - then youre sorted - those two points aside a great VFM bike.

The only thing that may rival it - is if you leave near a Decathlon store - they have some damm good budget bikes.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got one as my do everything bike it's great. Quick enough comfyish and handles well.

The wheels are carp tho, I've swapped mine to some cheap handbuilts as the rear hub and freewheel died. It's not been quite as sprightly since. I've put nearly 8000 miles on it in 18 months and apart from the back wheel it's been great.

I'll echo the above though there's always the niggle in your mind that you're bike is from halfords but I can't afford to spend another couple of hundred quid for a different badge.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I have one and think its fantastic VFM. I have received lots of positive comments from peers too.

Ive not done as much mileage as prawny above, but my 4000 or so miles so far is all still on original stuff apart from tyres, inner tubes and bar tape. Had it just over a year and would definitely recommend it.
  • Ive had a Giant FCR, then Tarmac Elite, then Langster SS, Boardman Comp, Now a CAAD9,
    So I feel Ive got some experience to compare.

It all depends on what you expectations are? What you can afford? and What you have ridden before?
  • Garz
    Why not share some of that experience 0boz0?

Stating you have ridden them all (for whatever time period) then not commenting is edging towards sadistic for the poor man!
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    im also lookin to see how good these bikes are, its in my budget aswell.... what are the components like?? iv heard the gears and wheels are great for the price of the bike:)
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2010
    Sorry if I came across sadistic. :twisted:

It depends on lots of factors thats why I didnt go in to detail.
    If I were to rank them in order from Best to Worst.

Comfort : Tarmac, CAAD9, Langster, Boardman, FCR.

Stiffness/Performance : Tarmac & CAAD 9, Langster(Within its 1 Gear), Boardman, FCR.

Quality (Gears, Frame, Finish) : Tarmac, CAAD 9, Boardman, Langster, FCR.

Fun Factor : CAAD 9 & Tarmac & Langster, Boardman, FCR.

Overall it might not be fair too compare a Boardman to a CAAD9 or Tarmac, but my overall view of the boardman is that its a very competent bike, not soft (like the FCR), or super stiff but very neutral in its power delivery. Out of the aluminum bikes Ive had its one of the least comfy as you do tend to feel the bumbs and road vibration more than the langster, and the CAAD feels almost as smooth as the Carbon Tarmac except over really rough roads.

But if its your first road bike and that's you price limit it has no serious vices and is well put together, and as long as you don't try more expensive bikes you would probably never realized what you are missing. :shock:

Any specific points I might have miss just let me know.
  • Garz
    0boz0 can you list the price points you purchased these bikes for to also help. I mean if your comparing a circa £1300 CAAD to it then its only fair that it is £600 more so in value terms I would put the Boardman higher.

Or just add " Value: " to your ordered summary and he's all set! :D
  • if you fancy something a little bit different you could try some good old fashioned cold steel. the genesis equilibrium is a fantastic bike. it comes with 105 groupset which is silky smooth. i own a genesis flyer (fixie) and its rides like a dream. but that said you cant beat getting out and trying these bikes yourself. the boardmans are great machines. you get value for money, and you can always take it to your lbs for servicing and repairs. you dont take out a contract with halfords when you buy one. :wink:
  • GarethB
    GarethB Posts: 11
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

To give a bit more detail.....

This would be my second bike purchased on a cycle to work scheme.
    So I believe the limit is £1,000 for everything. As I need a lock (or two) and some lights the bike the £700 Boardman was effectively my budget.

Where I've really struggled is what I'll use the bike for as it will be my only bike.
    The previous single speed Charge was fine for the purpose I used - 22 mile daily commute through London - but would have it's limitations elsewhere.
    I don't want or need a serious off road / mountain bike

Longer term I'm looking to ride further - usually roads, but possibly towpath / track - and get into serious distance rides when I'm fit enough.

I looked in Halfords Mile End at the weekend and despite the poor merchandising, indifferent staff and lack of test ride - except for up and down the aisles! I was impressed by the Boardman Performance Hybrid Pro at £849 but Performance Hybrid Team fits the budget. (Even though I don't like the colour as much)