First commute as roadie

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Successful morning so far.

Hadn't cycled in for a couple of weeks after wanting to rest a sore ankle.

MTFD from fixed for the first time this morning. Only 3rd time riding it after tweaking said Achilles first time I used it.
SCR to 6 from 8 (Saddlebag ~= Pannier right?)

Still not quite used to the position, not as upright as flat handlebarred Langster.
Think I wobbled a bit out of my road and looked a little green in front of a pretty girl on a pretty Bianchi.
Going along at what I thought was a respectable pace until a red fixed and a Specialized roadie flew past, then remembered I had legs too, MTFbackU and gave chase. Kept pace (around 24-25mph according to phone gps) and took back my scalp just before London Bridge.

Couple of minutes faster than normal fixed commute time. Good start.
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    nice one.

i did my first commute for about 20 years this morning. 6 miles to the station. 35 minutes (included 2 stops, 1 to adjust seat height and 1 to buy ciggys) on hilly roads (Epping). My only previous cycling experience in the last 20 years before today, was a 4.5 mile 'learn the gears' ride yesterday, and a 1 mile 'round the block' on sunday.

The journey takes 30 mins by car - 15 mins drive, 5 mins parking, 10 mins walk to station. So 30 by bike (without the 2 stops i made) plus 2 mins locking up is acceptable i think.

Will aim for 25 mins...
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • dhope
    dcurzon wrote:
    nice one.

i did my first commute for about 20 years this morning. 6 miles to the station. 35 minutes (included 2 stops, 1 to adjust seat height and 1 to buy ciggys) on hilly roads (Epping). My only previous cycling experience in the last 20 years before today, was a 4.5 mile 'learn the gears' ride yesterday, and a 1 mile 'round the block' on sunday.

The journey takes 30 mins by car - 15 mins drive, 5 mins parking, 10 mins walk to station. So 30 by bike (without the 2 stops i made) plus 2 mins locking up is acceptable i think.

Will aim for 25 mins...

No hills for me, pretty flat in SE London. Plenty of traffic and lights though. My commute is 6 miles too. May aim for 20mins :)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Wow. More people getting out there. That can only be good.
    Riding on 531
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Another SE Londoner. Where do you ride from and to? What route do you take? I'll look out for you as I pass...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dcurzon
    dhope wrote:

No hills for me, pretty flat in SE London. Plenty of traffic and lights though. My commute is 6 miles too. May aim for 20mins :)

how i envy your flat-ness!

my slowest mile took 10 minutes...
    B'Twin Sport 1
  • dhope
    Another SE Londoner. Where do you ride from and to? What route do you take? I'll look out for you as I pass...

From Greenwich/Maze Hill
    Trafalgar Road, through Deptford, along Evelyn St and Jamaica Rd, onto and over London Bridge and finish just before St Pauls.

Either on a fixed green Langster or Boardman Team Carbon
    Carradice saddlebag often with a flashing red light on it.

Say Hi when you pass and I'll try not to look like it bothers me :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:

From Greenwich/Maze Hill
    Trafalgar Road, through Deptford, along Evelyn St and Jamaica Rd, onto and over London Bridge and finish just before St Pauls.

I go from Brockley to Chancery Lane. Sometimes I head along Old Kent Rd but if I want a slightly faster, longer ride I go down to Deptford then along Evelyn Rd, Lower Rd, Jamaica Rd to London Bridge then through the City. I'm usually passing along that way between 8 and 8.30am. If I see you I'll say hi! I'm usually on a blue Ribble with Pro Lite wheels...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    dhope wrote:

From Greenwich/Maze Hill

I go from Brockley to Chancery Lane. Sometimes I head along Old Kent Rd but if I want a slightly faster, longer ride I go down to Deptford then along Evelyn Rd, Lower Rd, Jamaica Rd to London Bridge then through the City. I'm usually passing along that way between 8 and 8.30am. If I see you I'll say hi! I'm usually on a blue Ribble with Pro Lite wheels...

Im another that comes form that way, down shooters hill across black heath then right after deptford bridge then the same as you but drop down to lower thames street after going over london bridge.

I go through there about 8:30/9:00 ish as my starts change at work.

On a spesh sectuer with aksiums on it and a saddle bag
  • Headhuunter
    Paul E wrote:
    dhope wrote:

From Greenwich/Maze Hill

Im another that comes form that way, down shooters hill across black heath then right after deptford bridge then the same as you but drop down to lower thames street after going over london bridge.

I go through there about 8:30/9:00 ish as my starts change at work.

On a spesh sectuer with aksiums on it and a saddle bag

I'll look out for you, however I'll probably be passing along that route earlier than you...
  • dcurzon
    24 minutes for the same route today. Thats 6 minutes quicker than driving. 15mph average. Whoop! k, still slow by many others' standards, but improving each time out!
    B'Twin Sport 1
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    What makes one a roadie?

I mean I've got a drop barred bike (Caad9) but I wear plain cotton t-shirts and I have flat pedals.

I do have a beard, but I don't shave my legs, and I loath wearing clothes with advertising on them, nor do a wear a stupid bit of polystyrene on my head.

I do travel at 20mph +, but I don't go out at weekends in a pack (well rarely).

What am I?!

Frankenroadie?
  • prj45 wrote:
    What makes one a roadie?

I mean I've got a drop barred bike (Caad9) but I wear plain cotton t-shirts and I have flat pedals.

I do have a beard, but I don't shave my legs, and I loath wearing clothes with advertising on them, nor do a wear a stupid bit of polystyrene on my head.

What am I?!

Ooh this is like Going for Gold with Henry Kelly!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208

Yup, with a question that only someone from the UK could ever get right!
  • dhope
    prj45 wrote:
    What makes one a roadie?

What am I?!

Frankenroadie?

I don't know the OED definition, I just assumed as I was using the road bike rather than fixed then it'd put me in the roadie category (but the hairy roadie rather than with the serious shaved folk.
    I've got a drop barred carbon Boardman, clipless pedals and cheap £10 cycling top, no logos and very much just starting out. Can travel relatively quickly with a following wind, downhill on a good day and never been out in a group. Is there a fake roadie category?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Look, being a roadie has nothing to do with the speed you travel at

So let's ignore that factor

The question is, are you on a proper road bike with drops and thin tyres? If yes, are you wearing a cycling jersey with pockets at the back and/or lycra cycling shorts?

That's a roadie, that is
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    dhope wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    What makes one a roadie?

I assume that:

Faux Single Speeds (fakengers, dirty/functional bikes, silly egg beater gear)

Covers Fakengers on SS and "normal people" on "normal" bikes- just dirty and/or functional ones.. ie they don't lovingly polish & lube in a slightly fetishistic way (tarty/shiny... shaved legs etc), but nor are they weighed down by using a touring bike with full 'guards, pannier racks front & rear, lights, bottle cages & wide-range gears, that was built for fast descents of the Karokorum Highway with a tent strapped to the top of the rack...
    Is there a fake roadie category?
    Not as such.. these categories are for genuine roadies who don't join clubs, race, train at weekends etc...

Cheers,
    W.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    dhope wrote:

From Greenwich/Maze Hill

I join you're route at deptford, usually there around 7:10am and 5:30pm ish.

And I ride a specialized, but probably wasn't me this morning :D
  • dhope
    nich wrote:
    dhope wrote:

From Greenwich/Maze Hill

I join you're route at deptford, usually there around 7:10am and 5:30pm ish.

And I ride a specialized, but probably wasn't me this morning :D

I know the route, used to live in Anerley (fine, Penge) and was heading from West Wickham through Beckenham to Greenwich on Sunday morning about 1.30am (no SCR at that time funnily enough)
    Ah, Back-in-'Nam, the memories...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    vorsprung wrote:
    The question is, are you on a proper road bike with drops
    Yes
    vorsprung wrote:
    and thin tyres?
    Yup
    vorsprung wrote:
    If yes, are you wearing a cycling jersey with pockets at the back
    Uh huh
    vorsprung wrote:
    and/or lycra cycling shorts?
    Not lycra, but looks like I have one and a half feet in the roadie category already.
    Roadie it is then.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    prj45 wrote:
    What makes one a roadie?

What am I?!

"Who am I"?

-- "HENRY KELLY"!

"What am I"?

-- "YOU'RE A C...."!

Ah, student life...