WSJ - Part 3

BikingBernie
BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Prosecutors Step Up Armstrong Probe

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 15552.html

An GQ wade in too. The press is getting bolder. :lol:

Lie Strong.

If you're reading this, Mr. Armstrong, it should be clear that "you" in this instance doesn't actually mean you; as anyone from your hometown of Austin will gladly confirm for you, you've always been an arrogant prick out for no one but number one. How else to explain the odd fact that your glory and fame have always been separated from the sport of cycling, and that the vast majority of your admirers can't name another pro bike racer? Oh, wait—they probably know who Floyd Landis is now.

lance-armstrong_628x434.jpg

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20100 ... ontroversy

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited July 2010
    The materials may allow the government to seek perjury charges against Mr. Armstrong, who gave sworn testimony in the case in which he denied ever using illegal and banned performance-enhancing drugs or methods.

Prosecutors "aren't going to charge somebody with doping," said Mike Straubel, an attorney at the Valparaiso University Sports Law Clinic in Indiana, who represents athletes. "They are going to charge somebody with a secondary offense of fraud in some fashion—perjury or lying to a federal investigator."
    That's what it boils down to. No doping charges from the Federal Authorities but a possible perjury charge.

Marion Jones is a good example here. She got a criminal sentence from this and jail time. This was enough for the sporting agencies to act and in an agreement, a lot of her wins were stripped away.
  • BikingBernie
    And it will be poetic justice if it his testimony in the SCA case that finally brings him down.
  • BikingBernie
    By the way, that ABC news interview with Landis is available on cyclingtorrents.nl

http://cyclingtorrents.nl/details.php?id=2401
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    There is another good piece by the mainstream media on Forbes.com:

"The tragedy of Lance Armstrong is that he competed in an age of rampant doping and sloppy testing standards. This fact will complicate Lance’s legacy regardless of whether Lance's actual doping is ever proven or not.

Did Lance dope? Did he use performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions during his seven Tour wins from 1999 to 2005?

I think so. This year’s Tour de France produced some intriguing data that adds weight to this accusation .... "

http://blogs.forbes.com/digitalrules/20 ... s-tragedy/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    That's a pretty strong article from Forbes, particularly given the preponderance of 'business people' in recently taking up cycling - particularly attracted by the 'miracle' or 'hype' of the Armstrong story - depending on your take. I guess the marketing guys at Trek are getting increasingly worried too?

No doubt someone will be along shortly to argue the case against and accuse me of being a 'cancer lover' for being a non-believer. Trouble is, I wasn't a believer in 1994 and nothing I've ever seen since will make me see otherwise. I'm not expecting a 'doping conviction' either, just the opportunity for people to understand that 'miracles' don't happen and that dramatic improvements in physiological performance can wholly be attributed to just one cause - the use of PEDs. The fact that this was done cynically on an organisational basis with the complicit compliance of the sport's governing body only compounds the fraud.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    It's sad that a post which supports any evidence against Armstrong has to be given such a detailed disclaimer. Just goes to show the sort of arguments that are brought out time and again
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I guess the marketing guys at Trek are getting increasingly worried too

I'll still ride a Trek. Can't wait to get my new one. I like the look of them, and never had a problem with my other one (unless you count the aluminium frame buckling after hitting the side of a car at 30mph a "problem") so I'm sticking with them.

Plus, I can't stand the way some bikes look- all curved frames and all. Bleurgh!! At least Treks look a bit like a bicycle!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I guess the marketing guys at Trek are getting increasingly worried too

I'll still ride a Trek. Can't wait to get my new one. I like the look of them, and never had a problem with my other one (unless you count the aluminium frame buckling after hitting the side of a car at 30mph a "problem") so I'm sticking with them.

Plus, I can't stand the way some bikes look- all curved frames and all. Bleurgh!! At least Treks look a bit like a bicycle!

i'll still ride mine too, maybe i'll even dust off the USPS jerseys I have and put them on too :D

Can't really see anyone changing bikes based on this but I think it might have an effect on future sales, shame they didn't have a great tour to showcase the bikes this time
  • All of this is so much marketing, you make the most out of marketing and Trek, I'd believe made a big kill, even if I heard a lot of Lemonds were being sold off, almost dumped on the market.

A few years ago, I'd walk into a cycling store, Trek roadbikes were the absolute rage and for many of these bikes, they went for exorbitant amounts, a marketing bonanza, even TdF videos playing up on a tv screen in the bike shop.

About 6-9 years ago, Road bikes were the rage and surpassed the mountain bikes. Our local store "an authorised Trek dealer", how often have you heard that?

Then, Lance retires, the Rivendell/Bridgestone/Univega people and other influences such as Cruiser Bikes by Electra or in fact, Raleigh come to the fore, now you walk into the store, there's what we call "Cruiser" bikes on the showroom floor. I even picked up physically one the other day and it was a rather light bike. "RetroGlides" are what these Raleighs are called here:

retroglide_m_green-lrg.jpg

Which are actually very American/Schwinn looking bikes in my opinion, some call 'em Beach Cruisers, nowadays, it's not so unknown to just go out and 'cruise' to be seen and I don't think that's that bad.

Plus, Raleigh did a double take and has come out with these Touring Bikes, in a way, I think it has been a good change, everything was "Road" it seemed for awhile, ride out on the road, see some guy wearing a yellow jersey.

Now, you've got a few different outfits and touring, cruiser and comfort bikes seems to be the rage, get a good Brooks saddle on.

But I do think this is a more practical change. Even a local cyclist got busted for doping when he went on the National circuit.

Just one more note, City Bikes, I guess is even tapping into this too, This is due to a Dutch/Amsterdam influence like Gazelle.

ElectraAmsterdamClassicGr.JPG

Of course, Salsa Caseroll bikes, etc. really aren't much different than some classic Raleigh Road type bikes and the Cruisers, Electras, Town bikes are not all that different than your traditional three speed.

But I think the whole outlook is rather positive, a whole different thread but to sum up, Trek must have done fine marketing road and must have done very well for a few years and some of those bikes cost princely sums.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Not worth getting worked up over now. The case against Roger Clemens for perjury has been going on for over 2 years and is making very slow progress.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The funniest bit of all of this is imagining BikingBernie going to the Wall Street Journal and Forbes websites
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    iainf72 wrote:
    The funniest bit of all of this is imagining BikingBernie going to the Wall Street Journal and Forbes websites

You do know that he has a leather bound print out of the internet at home?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Does it include thumb-the-corner stop animation for YouTube?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Ive heard he's been subpoenaed to give his evidence (for evidence read conjecture)
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon