New Bike, New To Road Biking

CaseyJ70
CaseyJ70 Posts: 6
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Hey all,

After looking for a road bike for a while and getting sized at a local shop, I ended up buying a bike off a local biker. It's a 2004 (I think) Cannondale R800 54cm. He had won the bike and never ridden it. Now, please don't flame me as I'm very new to cycling and trying to learn the basics before I join a club in hope of learning more. I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the bike. I bought it for $500 CAD. I'm hoping it is worth that amount?

Also, what accessories would someone recommend to a new cyclist? Also, are there any things that someone would recommend me doing to the bike? I've heard road bikers usually take off the reflectors/piece of plastic by the rear cogs? Also, I bought that blackburn hand pump, but it seems too large. Are there other alternatives? The bike also had a sigma sport computer on it but I'm thinking of changing it over to a wireless one. Any thoughts? Finally, I've ridden it a few times and am starting to get used to riding clipless. However, I'm not a fan of the current pedals it came with. I've heard many good things about the Look Keo Max 2? Would it be worth it to put a pair of these pedals on the bike or is that overspending?

Any help you guys could offer me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

BTW - Here's a pic of the bike.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2955/dsc00699cy.jpg

Comments

• Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Just saw your post. Can't elaborate on anything at the moment as I have to go to work. A decent pair of cycling shorts will make life more comfortable. Reflectors and "dork disc" should go as you say. Carry a minipump on your frame or the back of your jersey pocket as well as a spare tube and some patches.

Most of all....we're CYCLISTS!!! ..not bikers matey :wink:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • CaseyJ70
    CaseyJ70 Posts: 6
    Does anyone else have information to share about the bike itself? Thanks a bunch.
  • evilollie
    evilollie Posts: 148
    Reflectors are a no no .... Spokey dokeys are the way forward haha

Can't comment on the bikes value , however a saddlebag with a multitool , tyre levers , spare inner tube

Some tyre patches & a pump are some of the things that you will need

Learn to change an inner tube at home incase you puncture miles from home
  • Hiya

I've only had my bike for 12 days and have already got:

Spare inner tube
    Mini pump (to get me home in case of a puncture - will never get up to 125pi)
    Decent pump (for getting up to 125psi at home)
    Repair kit (you'll definately need tyre levers at least)
    Decent helmet
    Fingerless, padded mitts
    Bib shorts / padded undershorts
    HIgh vis rucksack (for commutes)
    Bottle cage + bottle
    Glasses
    Lock
    Bike cover (I don't have a shed)
    Wireless computer
    Small saddle bag for mobile / cash / spare inner tube etc

One thing I would say is that you'll get a lot of advice to spend a lot on various accessories. It is NOT neccessary if you're on a budget. All of my bits were new but very cheap (sports shop sales / online / ebay). Wiggle is a great site as they've got loads of cheaper alternatives with plentiful user reviews.

No idea about your bike or pedals but it looks damn good to me!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Is your lock good enough..? A good brand U lock like Magnum with a high antitheft rating not a cheapo cable one even though many look thickish..They saw through em so easy..Maybe think about insurance.Your home insurance may cover it..Cheapo lock is ok while you nip into a shop
    jc
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    $500 Can = £309 GBP
    ...yes, it's worth that and then some. :D
    See: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/r800-9511

The pic of the bike seems to show a frame pump already in-situ? Nowt wrong with that.
    What's the problem with the current pedals, other than you're only just 'new to riding clipless' - persevere. Just get a good pair of bibshorts and ride!!! :D
    Cycling weakly