short chain(ged)

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited July 2010 in MTB general
:cry:

in all the excitement of putting a new chain on after 3 weeks without riding I cut it too short
25072010136.JPG
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can't really see from that!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    front and how big at the rear can you go?

just dont go too far.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    I had a short chain for a bit. It drove me nuts having to keep in mind that I shouldn't use certain gears as it locks you in and won't change without removing the rear wheel first. I just don't want to think that much about what gear I'm in.

Maybe I'm being dense, but what's stopping you bunging the extra link or so back in?
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    BigShot wrote:
    what's stopping you bunging the extra link or so back in?

thats what i did. i now have 3 powerlinks in my chain :oops:
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Powerlinks are the answer to an over active chain splitter. :)

One big issue is the old debate on what 1 chain link is........

Is it 1 inner and 1 outer = 1 link, or is it 1 inner and 1 outer = 2 links....

Obviously, you can't remove just one inner or outer on it's own, however, if someone says remove 4 links, is that 8 peices of chain or 4 peices of chain. I made that mistake a while back I asked how many and was told how many, but we both worked on different formulas, spares box is minus a powerlink. :roll:

SRAM's specifications show an inner and outer as 2 links they come with quote "114 links", however, a lot of people I know would count 1 inner and 1 outer as 1 link.

Supersonic and Nicklouse, be interested to see what you work from! :)
    Craig Rogers
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    I trust that if anyone asks why it's to mean you can unhook the chain even if the other powerlinks are otherwise unusable for some reason? :P
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1 link measures 1 inch, and comprises of an inner and outer half link section.
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    BigShot wrote:
    I trust that if anyone asks why it's to mean you can unhook the chain even if the other powerlinks are otherwise unusable for some reason? :P

exactly! it wasn't through stupidity or through the interference of beer. absolutely not.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    supersonic wrote:
    1 link measures 1 inch, and comprises of an inner and outer half link section.

Well you won't believe the arguments on Pinkbike about that..... I was the only one who said the same as you. Had to actually point to some proof in the end. :roll:
    Craig Rogers
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I would of put some of the old links back in rater than a couple of extra Powerlinks. :?

When I was putting my old Shimano chain on a SS I didn't have any Shimano pins or Powerlinks so I put a couple of SRAM links in so I could rejoin it :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3