Alternative to porridge

13»

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    What if you really hate milk and want to make your porridge with just water and a wee bit of salt?

That's allowed - especially in this part of the world where it's very much approved of...

But how do you do it? What quantities do you use?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Norky wrote:
    davis might disagree with you on that one. He tried cheese in porridge on the advice of a Scottish fellow. I think the gentleman was pulling his leg.

I trust the chap completely. He sold me this fetching bridge, after all.

(still think he was being serious though).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

Depends a bit on the oats TBH. With the ones I use, 1 measure of oats to 2 of water. Salt is to taste. Start with a little and add until it tastes right.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

Depends a bit on the oats TBH. With the ones I use, 1 measure of oats to 2 of water. Salt is to taste. Start with a little and add until it tastes right.

Yup- also depends on how you like your porridge. I like it quite "nutty", whereas my wife prefers it a bit runnier. I cook mine overnight in an Aga (sorry), 125g pinhead oatmeal to 750ml water, goes into the low oven. I have mine first thing then add more water and pop it back for her....

Just oats & water. I add salt, stir it in and then double cream on top. Very, very yummy!

Jumbo oats 1:2 with water should work fine. It's just easier and more efficient for me to do it in the oven 'cos I don't need to wait for it to cook, boil over etc.

Cheers,
    W.
  • lost_in_thought
    Thanks chaps. Alas, my nearest supermarket only has scotts porage rolled oats or something, which I don't think are great quality having read the rest of this thread. A trip to waitrose is in order.

The swede made is very, very thick, which was lovely. Runny = bad.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bagels, toast or even just cereal. Porridge is good, but goes through me faster than sh!t through a goose on the mornings of sportives etc.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    A single teaspoon of dessicated coconut mixed into a bowl of porridge makes a nice change. Gives it a richer taste and smell.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Thanks chaps. Alas, my nearest supermarket only has scotts porage rolled oats or something, which I don't think are great quality having read the rest of this thread. A trip to waitrose is in order.

The swede made is very, very thick, which was lovely. Runny = bad.

Oooo. Scotts are where it all started and pretty much the norm up here.
    There are 2 types of Scotts. One is the "normal" one and the other is thick milled (chunkier). It may just be that you have a box that is too thick/thin for your taste.
    Note:- Runny = too much water.
    35mg oats, 200ml water, pinch of salt. Mixed in a bowl that you think is too large.
    3 mins in the microwave.
    Sit for 1 min and add sugar, honey, whatever......
    Add milk. Ideally at the side so it slips under the porridge.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    daviesee wrote:
    Note:- Runny = too much water.

Or not cooked long enough...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    I had porridge for my lunch today. (10 mile run home as not on bike today)

I use the Scotts sachets and they are great.

Open sachet. Fill up to line with milk. Empty into bowl. 2 mins microwave. Add honey / fruit or whatever.

Perfect every time!!!!!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • lost_in_thought
    No.

Milk.

Bleurgh.

I'm resisting the temptation to start ranting about just how weird and wrong milk consumption is.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    lucus_j wrote:
    ...Semi-skimmed Milk...

What is this obsession with half-milk? You want the full fat stuff, it tastes better!

What's the point in cycling for exercise if you still have to eat badly?

Cheers,
    W.

+1 - Cream and honey :wink:
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    I'm resisting the temptation to start ranting about just how weird and wrong milk consumption is.

A substantial portion of the human population evolved lactose tolerance back in neolithic times; it greatly increased the benefits of livestock herding. For their descendants, drinking milk is no more unnatural than walking upright. Of course, every generation throws up the occasional regression... :P
  • lost_in_thought
    itsbruce wrote:

A substantial portion of the human population evolved lactose tolerance back in neolithic times; it greatly increased the benefits of livestock herding. For their descendants, drinking milk is no more unnatural than walking upright. Of course, every generation throws up the occasional regression... :P

:lol:

Oi! What can I say, I'm a purist. Would you drink breast milk?

:lol::lol:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    itsbruce wrote:

:lol:

Bitty.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

Sure... love the packaging, too...

Cheers,
    W.