Defiant Armstrong

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Armstrong speaking after the final stage in Paris.
"I can assure you that there is not going to be a teary-eyed confession from me", said Armstrong, who has hired a criminal defence attorney to fight the [Landis] allegations.

"I'm 100% confident. I know what I did and didn't do. And I know that the press is incredibly sensational. I'm not a fool, that's what they need, that's OK. In the end it will all come out.

"We will certainly field the best team but in the end it's a fair competition, that's why ultimately - maybe not yet, maybe not right now - but ultimately it will be a fair competition and I'll get my chance to speak about it."

As we say in my part of the world, "G'wan ya gud ting!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8853187.stm

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    "I can assure you that there is going to be a teary-eyed confession from me", said Armstrong, who has hired a criminal to fight the [Landis] allegations.

"I'm 100% confident. I know what drugs I did and didn't do. And I know that the press is incredibly sensational. I'm a fool, that's what they need, that's OK. In the end it will all come out.

"We will certainly field the best team but in the end it's a fair cop, that's why ultimately - maybe not yet, maybe not right now - but ultimately it will be a fair cop and I'll get my chance to write a book about it."

As we say in my part of the world, "Go on you drugged up plank!"

Fixed that for you.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    "I can assure you that there is not going to be a teary-eyed confession from me", said Armstrong, who has hired a criminal defence attorney to fight the [Landis] allegations.

"I'm 100% confident. I know what I did and didn't do. And I know that the press is incredibly sensational. I'm not a fool, that's what they need, that's OK. In the end it will all come out.

"We will certainly field the best team but in the end it's a fair competition, that's why ultimately - maybe not yet, maybe not right now - but ultimately it will be a fair competition and I'll get my chance to speak about it."

I'm not sure I understand your post. How is he being defiant? Sounding defiant, without actually saying anything at all, I'll happily give you, but that's something really quite different, isn't it?
    The quote you give is clearly written by a PR person in order to sound as if it's saying something whilst not actually saying that at all. You clearly feel it's defiant, yet I struggle to see anything in there that isn't a statement of the blindingly obvious. He doesn't even claim to be clean....
    G'wan ya gud ting, 'cos you like PR-speak, 'cos you find it amusing when folk try to mis-lead with spin, 'cos you like dissimulation? I'm confused....
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

I didn't know you were Jamaican :?: :wink:
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    There are more quotes from him on this here:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5028/Lance-Armstrong-I-couldnt-abandon-my-last-Tour-de-France.aspx

“I’m asked a lot about politics,” he confirmed. “Never say ‘never’, but the chances are low. The two choices are political questions. As an Americans, it’s necessary to ask of our leaders ‘Are you doing what is in our interests?’ on the environment, the health service… Many people answer ‘yes’.

“Is allowing agents to track athletes without evidence and destroy their credibility a good use of American taxpayers’ money? I think many people would say ‘no’.”

Landis’ allegations are the latest in a long line of accusations of doping aimed at Lance Armstrong. This, he says, is something that he has become used to over the years; he has learned to put them out of his mind.

“Sure,” he said, “it started in 1999, I’m vaccinated against it. There are people who say ‘he did it’; others say ‘he didn’t do it’; others say ‘he did it but so did everyone else so it’s okay by me’. Each side comes up with arguments that suit their own side. I gave up fighting against it long ago; it doesn’t stop me from having my foundation, from doing what I want with my life.”
    He was also quick to point out that many past champions have had similar fingers pointed at them, and expects the trend to continue in the future.

“These doubts apply to all champions,” he claimed, “Thevenet, Hinault, Fignon, Lemond, everyone. In a few years I’ll be one of those former riders and there will be another rider at the eye of the storm.

“Right now, for the last ten years, it’s me.”

Is this the basis of his defense? I'm the latest in a long line of winners that've used PED's.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey