TdF jersey winning bikes

weapons
weapons Posts: 367
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Contador rode into Paris on a yellow S-Works, Schleck rode a yellow bike when in the yellow jersey, as did Cancellara and Pellizotti rode a ploka dotted Cannondale last year, I always wondered, do these teams just have a stock of these bikes in the expectation that one of their riders will be in a coloured jersey? If so, what happens to the bikes if they fail to have any rider in a jersey? Does anyone know?

Comments

• paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I tweeted at LA and George Hincapie to see if I could get a bike when mine got written off in an accident.

I received no reply, so I have no idea what happens to any ex-bikes, let alone the decorated ones
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Some teams will definitely have yellow (or green or polka dot) bikes waiting in the wings. Specialized knew that at some point either Andy or Alberto would be in Yellow. Likewise - Cervelo had a green-accented S3 waiting for Thor to use. Scott would have had a green Scoot waiting for Cav, etc.

The bikes that don't get used are put back into storage or re-painted or given to a VIP in the company. (I would think)

<insert comment here about bikes being sold on eBay to fund doping>
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    The Chav's Yellow/Green hybrid on Stage 3 was painted straight after his stage 2 victory in Merckx's factory in Belgium then bussed/carred/shipped/got very quickly to the start of the stage
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pokerface wrote:
    Some teams will definitely have yellow (or green or polka dot) bikes waiting in the wings. Specialized knew that at some point either Andy or Alberto would be in Yellow. Likewise - Cervelo had a green-accented S3 waiting for Thor to use. Scott would have had a green Scoot waiting for Cav, etc.

The bikes that don't get used are put back into storage or re-painted or given to a VIP in the company. (I would think)

<insert comment here about bikes being sold on eBay to fund doping>

I think very few riders have them pre-prepared (Contador, Cav, maybe Hushovd). Cancellara refuses to have them pre-made for superstition (although they probably still do).

They're pretty quick and easy to spray and badge overnight. For KOM they'll usually know before the stage is over.

Also Contador and Schleck will ride different frame sizes.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    agree I can't see any rider having one pre-prepared and the fact that different riders have different frames means they don't pre-prepare.

As stated I think the bike makes have a striped down frame just in case then they can spray them overnight and ship them to the tour.

At the worlds they may be pre-prepared as when Cipo one Spech pulled out a bike straight away for him
  • Pokerface
    Again - SOME of the bikes ARE prepared. The yellow Spesh FRAMES were ready - just not built up. Same with Thor's Green accented S3 (they actually did the same frame last year).

Others are sprayed and shipped/built overnight.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I hate this trend for head-to-toe adornment - it's beyong vain and panders to ego.
    Polka-dot helmets, yellow bikes and green shoes etc are utterly vulgar.
    For a rider like Cancellara or Chavanel (who aren't even close to being GC riders) to be riding around like big-chinned bananas is a joke.
  • Pokerface
    ^
    I bet that if YOU were riding in the Tour de France and got yourself into a jersey, no matter how you earned it, would want to 'brag' about it.

Biggest bike race in the world - and certainly guys like Chavannel earned that Yellow jersey with his awesome riding.

Besides - it's more down to the sponsors than the riders.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    it costs v.little to have a bike ready. the kit is supplied via the sponsors and the frames are already made. if you have one or two sprayed up it's only cost the firm some paint and time and that comes out of the promo budget. For that they get a readily identified bike that gets lots of airtime
    M.Rushton
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    The riders can't really win in this situation, as it's down to personal taste.

Personally I hate even yellow/green/polka dot shorts to go with the jersey, but also thought Menchov looked hideous in his pink jersey/blue and orange Rabobank shorts in the 2009 Giro

denis_menchov_pink.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW many teams sell/auction off the bikes at the end of the season - usually into the trade. Some are returned to the manufacturers/sponsors for them to dispose of. I know some of the Specialized guys and many of the team frames are bought by staff / distributors. For some teams they sell them before they get used - allegedly!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Pokerface wrote:
    ^
    I bet that if YOU were riding in the Tour de France and got yourself into a jersey, no matter how you earned it, would want to 'brag' about it.

Biggest bike race in the world - and certainly guys like Chavannel earned that Yellow jersey with his awesome riding.

Besides - it's more down to the sponsors than the riders.

Sadly, it's a decision I'll never have the make!
    But I stand my my original view. The leader earns a yellow jersey. I'm not sure how donning yellow shoes, socks, gloves, shorts, helmet, glasses, bike, brake hoods, pedals, gear/brake cables etc amplifies the glory/sense of achievement.
    I'm sure sponsors have influence, but t'was ever thus.
  • Pokerface
    Thor Hushovd's Green-highlighted Cervelo S3 was recently given away on Facebook in a contest for fans of Cervelo. Some lucky girl in Michigan won it.

Just an example of what happens to some of the bikes.
  • AO1504
    AO1504 Posts: 57
    Garmin often sell the riders Felt bikes including special editions