Bike-friendly house insurance

GiantMike
GiantMike Posts: 3,139
edited July 2010 in The bottom bracket
Hello

I need some new house insurance that will also cover my 8 bikes. I'm looking for a bike-friendly policy; preferably one that doesn't insist they're locked in a vault or charge a fortune for anything worth more than £1000.

I've tried the price comparison sites but they're too generic and it's hard to get any real details about the level of cover without phoning each company directly, and then I usually get the 'village idiot' who assumes all bikes are from the LBS and worth £100.

Can anybody recommend a good company??

Cheers

Comments

• datasone
    datasone Posts: 35
    try More Than (royal sun alliance)
    I have to pay £500 a year for buildings/contents/bikes etc
    However there are no big restrictions. For the price they will cover each bike up to £2500 with no limit to the number of bikes you own.
  • GiantMike
    That's a good place to start. Cheers
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    M&S will cover any single bike up to 4k.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I've got a contents policy with Aviva. I called to add 2 bikes stored in the garden and away from the home. They bumped up the contents in the garden from £500 to £1200 at no extra cost. They also added the pedal cycles away from the home cover for both bikes again at no additional cost.

Was very very suprised - I used to work for a house insurer and this is unheard of! They've confirmed it writing though so I'm a happy bunny!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Rolf F wrote:
    M&S will cover any single bike up to 4k.

agree 100%, changed over to them last month, got same cover for house/contents,and as mentioned cover for bikes up to 4k, as opposed to 1k with previous company.
    you can also for a few quid extra take out their ' goods away from home' which is ideal. The premium was slightly more than my quote with last ins company, but i got more peace of mind now.
  • I am with LV. They only insist that the bike is locked. I could use the cheapest lock possible and they would care.
  • pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 30
    Another vote for M&S, yes you pay a bit more BUT its worth it. When we lost 4 bikes in a car crash recently they were spot on, ruthlessly efficient and everything was sorted very, very quickly!
    dyslexia rules KO
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I am with LV. They only insist that the bike is locked. I could use the cheapest lock possible and they would care.
    they would care? Oh dear :?
  • pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 30
    Another vote for M&S, yes you pay a bit more BUT its worth it. When we lost 4 bikes in a car crash recently they were spot on, ruthlessly efficient and everything was sorted very, very quickly!
    dyslexia rules KO
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Another vote for M&S, went with them for the 4k coverage per bike, just had 3 bikes stolen worth 9k+ so we'll see how they do
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I am with LV. They only insist that the bike is locked. I could use the cheapest lock possible and they would care.

LV? Liverpool Victoria?
    M&S won't insure me. House is partially made of cob. I only want to insure my bike. The house can fall down around me and the bike, as long as it doesn't scratch it!
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    +1 m&s
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    +1 M&S

and Jason Isaacs :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    M&S +1 :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • GiantMike
    M+S are looking good. Thanks for the advice guys.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Yet another vote for M&S. We got burgled last year and M&S were excellent. All paid out very quickly and follow up calls were made to ensure that we were happy with the service
  • Do M&S have an excess charge..e.g. as at the moment I have to pay the 1st £75 on a £1300 machine accedental damage/stolen..or £15 on a £600 machine
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    GiantMike wrote:
    Hello

I need some new house insurance that will also cover my 8 bikes. I'm looking for a bike-friendly policy; preferably one that doesn't insist they're locked in a vault or charge a fortune for anything worth more than £1000.

I've tried the price comparison sites but they're too generic and it's hard to get any real details about the level of cover without phoning each company directly, and then I usually get the 'village idiot' who assumes all bikes are from the LBS and worth £100.

Can anybody recommend a good company??

Cheers

My Legal & General hous insurance covers my £2,300 Felt F3 and misc bikes
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • rjh299 wrote:
    House is partially made of cob

A house made of sweetcorn?

Scrumptious!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • odichu
    odichu Posts: 116
    Hiscox have been nothing but helpful and prompt in my recent claim.
  • GiantMike
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. As I have a large number of bikes I went for the M+S insurance. For me, it was cheaper than other policies where bikes are individually listed.

Also, based on recommendations from here, I have peace of mind that it's a good policy.
  • I know you've already got it, but another plus for M&S. Phoned them recently as was taking bike abroad and they confirmed that it's still insured! Well worth it for that peace of mind, and it was cheaper than my last insurer, Barclays!
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    I know you've already got it, but another plus for M&S. Phoned them recently as was taking bike abroad and they confirmed that it's still insured! Well worth it for that peace of mind, and it was cheaper than my last insurer, Barclays!

I also changed from Barclays to M&S after I phoned Barclays to try add the bikes to my contents policy (instead of eye wateringly expensive individual insurance) and when the guy heard how much the Sunday best bike was worth he laughed out loud and asked quite seriously 'You paid 2500 for a push bike?' Didn't exactly inspire confidence or loyalty. :roll: