stomach ulcers

baronsouthside
baronsouthside Posts: 64
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Has anyone out there ever made a connection between a stomach ulcer and cycling?

Body position cramping the stomach leading to escape of acid? That kind of thing? Being commuters and not out and out sports persons, some times eating at work isnt at the best times befor cycling home plus the belly over the trousers.

Anyone had stomach ulcers? Did it ease when you stopped cycling? Did you change body position? etc etc

Just thought id throw that thought out there.

I may have a stomach ulcer for those that didnt guess.
If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I thought some Aussie scienticians had proved that the cause of stomach ulcers was bacterial.

Won the Nobel Prize no less.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    if your worried go to the doctors mate
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Asprilla wrote:
    I thought some Aussie scienticians had proved that the cause of stomach ulcers was bacterial.

Won the Nobel Prize no less.

Yep!

A hernia maybe? Definitely worth a trip to the doctor
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Most ulcers are caused by helicobacter pylori. Gastric (stomach) ulcers are uncommon ouside of the elderly but 80% due to HP. Duodenal (first part of small bowel) ulcers are 4x as common as gastric ulcers and 90% due to HP.

Other risk factors are use of drugs like aspirin/ibuprofen, alcohol and smoking.

So....

you aren't likely to have an ulcer due to cycling posture, however if the actual problem is gastro-oesophageal reflux of acid it is likely that cylcing posture would exacerbate this.

the answer lies in a careful history and examination at your GP who may then send you for other tests.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    I get them once or twice a year, normally after binging on booze too much, eating spicy food and overdoing it generally... but never thought that they may be connected to cycling...

just sensative stomach i guess, take some PPI's to neutralise the acid...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Eating yoghurt or other "live" foods with good bacteria can reduce the occurence of stomach ulcers as it reduces populations of bad bacteria in the gut. Of course you have to consistently consume yoghurt regularly, you can't just take down a pot of raspberry flavoured ski and then expect yourself to be immune from all stomach related problems forever....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.