Ride buddies wanted Shrewsbury area

Loretta Damage
Loretta Damage Posts: 270
After months of riding solo I'm looking for someone to ride with, normally Sundays for 30-50milers. Occasional weekday evening training rides as well. Around 20mph.

Anyy takers?

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Am in Telford i usually head over the longmynd via hope valley or the bog on a sunday?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • I'm away in France til 15 August, but I'll be looking to get out most Sundays after that. I'm in Hanwood, just outside Shrewsbury so Long Mynd area is quiet good for me.
  • idw
    idw Posts: 11
    telford area here too!
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Do you guys go anywhere near Clun or Clunton? Have a very old friend there who I haven't seen in years!
  • wicked
    idw wherebouts telford?
    bunneh yes sometimes go through clun after bishops castle and back to church stretton.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Wicked - went for a ride up to the Bog from the Minsterley side this afternoon. Needed some hill work after 2 weeks on the flat in France. Started to rain as I was on the descent just coming past the old church cafe, very slippy by the time I was nearing final corner before the main road. Just touching 40mph, braking and ran out of road - slid along the verge for a very impressive 20m or so! The very kind woman who stopped to ask if I was ok said it looked very dramatic. If you fancy a ride out some time let me know and we'll sort something; Sunday 29 Aug is good for me, I'm doing the Wild Edric on 5 Sep.

Take it easy.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Hi Loretta, 20mph!! Is that an average ride pace on your own? If so you should join up with one of the local bike clubs and race.
    I live in Pontesbury near Hanwood, I do quite a lot of cycling, mainly Sportives, challenge rides and a few Audax's.
    Last Sunday I did a club ride with the Mid Shropshire Wheelers who have some very quick youths in the club squad as well as a good overall age mix, and two young ladies out.
    They start there rides from Sundorne Sports Centre 9.30am, various routes, last Sunday we did a hilly ride out to Long Mountain-Marton-Chirbury-Church Stoke-Hyssington-Shelve-Bog (visitors centre for tea & cake)-Bridges-over Long Mynd to Church Stretton-Roman Road-Condover-Shrewsbury (Sports Village), I tacked off near Longnor for home and did 89 miles but I had done 16 miles before reaching Sundorne.
    For more leisurely rides up to and around 60 miles the Saturday Casuals leave the Red Barn Pub car park (Longden Road Shrewsbury) at 9.30am each Saturday, there ride pace is low but steady, they are great company and do go up the proper hills. They stop for lunch somewhere but you don't have to join them, some carry on to get back earlier.
    The I-Team (Internet cyclists club) meet at Dinkies Dyner location here...
    http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/dinkys_d ... _a458.html
    Each Saturday morning at 9.00am, usually a morning ride but sometimes extended in summer, Ride pace 17-19mph.
    I have taken early retirement and get out a fair bit during the week, so if you have some time off and want some company let me know, my pace on the not too lumpy would be around the 18mph. I did the Devil Ride this year in 6hrs 45mins for 103 miles with big hills.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Last Sunday I did a club ride with the Mid Shropshire Wheelers who have some very quick youths in the club squad as well as a good overall age mix, and two young ladies out.
    Hi Ron, I hope you enjoyed Sunday's run.

Loretta, hope you are OK after your 'off'. If you like climbing the MSW hill climb at Stiperstones (that climb from Minsterley before The Bog) 7pm on 31st August. Why not come and give it a go? It's not far from your house.

MSW have set up a section of the forum to encourage regulars/ride leaders to suggest a route for the coming weekend to give some idea of the distance etc.

There are training sessions at the floodlit Sundorne circuit from 7pm most Tuesdays and Thursdays, all are welcome. The Shropshire clubs each organise one or more Reliability Rides in the Spring around the county, so check the website/forum for mention of those nearer the time. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about MSW or club events.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • I've had a look at the MSW website, looks liek something I should be getting into.

Simon - I wouldn't say I "liked hills", they are more of a necessary evil! But I do enjoy the challenge and you can't beat the training value. I'm about on 31 Aug so might well ride over to take part in Stiperstones Hill Climb - where is start point?

Ron - At the tender age of 40 with 30 years of rugby behind me I'm not sure if racing would be a good idea (although tempting!) but I would like to get some sportives under my belt; I'm doing the Wild Edric on 5 Sep, short route. I can normally blag an early drop from work now and again, a ride out one afternoon would be good, I'll pm you if thats ok?

No riding this weekend though - brakes and gears having a rebuild this week after my less than perfect dismount!
  • simon_e
    I wouldn't say I "liked hills", they are more of a necessary evil! But I do enjoy the challenge and you can't beat the training value. I'm about on 31 Aug so might well ride over to take part in Stiperstones Hill Climb - where is start point?
    Know what you mean about the necessary evil and the challenge.

The hill climb sign on and start are outside the Stiperstones Inn (map). There is usually a relaxed social in the pub afterwards with plates of chips.

The hill climb is just over a mile, it goes to where the road more or less levels out at Pennerley. Would be great to see you there.
  • If gear re-build goes to plan I will be there - any cost?
  • simon_e
    If gear re-build goes to plan I will be there - any cost?
    £2.50

Forecast is for showers the morning and afternoon, clearing by evening. Hope to see you there, it's a fun evening.
  • Ron Stuart
    I've had a look at the MSW website, looks liek something I should be getting into.
    Ron - At the tender age of 40 with 30 years of rugby behind me I'm not sure if racing would be a good idea (although tempting!) but I would like to get some sportives under my belt; I'm doing the Wild Edric on 5 Sep, short route. I can normally blag an early drop from work now and again, a ride out one afternoon would be good, I'll pm you if thats ok?

No riding this weekend though - brakes and gears having a rebuild this week after my less than perfect dismount!

At the tender age of 59 with 9 years of organized bike riding, 23 years of top flight racing dingy sailing and before that 18 years of senior amateur soccer I can't get enough of this stuff. I was runner-up in the G14 World Champs 1994 (Lee-on-Solent) at the ripe old age of 44.
    As for age I did this years Shropshire Highland Challenge with this guy.... http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/palm ... n_tony.php

I shall be out riding during the day with Tony and the Mid Shropshire Wheelers chairman Dennis Milsom check this out.... http://www.midshropshirewheelers.com/fo ... PIC_ID=313

By the way Tony is 76 years young and Dennis is 82!!

Dennis will be helping out at the Hill Climb and I also will be along.

Tony has a great book out see here... http://www.abcc.co.uk/Reviews/PursuitStardom.htm

I am currently trying to get Barry Hoban out on one of our Tuesday rides, he lives near Newtown. He held the record number of British Tour de France stage wins till Cavendish arrived also married Tom Simpson's ex wife.

See you at the Stiperstones :D

ps. I am down to do the Wild Edric (Long Route bypassing Asterton Bank) :wink:

[url][/url]
  • simon_e
    I may have confused the issue with talk of the forecast. MSW hill climb at Stiperstones is NEXT week, the 31st.

Tonight, Tuesday 24th, is the last of the season's 10 mile time trials. First rider off at 19:01, HQ at the Lion Inn in Westbury (on the Chirbury road).

Thanks for the links Ron, hope you have a good ride today. Dennis is faster at 82 than I am at half his age!
  • wicked
    Ron Stuart wrote:

At the tender age of 59 with 9 years of organized bike riding, 23 years of top flight racing dingy sailing and before that 18 years of senior amateur soccer I can't get enough of this stuff. I was runner-up in the G14 World Champs 1994 (Lee-on-Solent) at the ripe old age of 44.
    As for age I did this years Shropshire Highland Challenge with this guy.... http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/palm ... n_tony.php

I shall be out riding during the day with Tony and the Mid Shropshire Wheelers chairman Dennis Milsom check this out.... http://www.midshropshirewheelers.com/fo ... PIC_ID=313

By the way Tony is 76 years young and Dennis is 82!!

Dennis will be helping out at the Hill Climb and I also will be along.

Tony has a great book out see here... http://www.abcc.co.uk/Reviews/PursuitStardom.htm

I am currently trying to get Barry Hoban out on one of our Tuesday rides, he lives near Newtown. He held the record number of British Tour de France stage wins till Cavendish arrived also married Tom Simpson's ex wife.

See you at the Stiperstones :D

ps. I am down to do the Wild Edric (Long Route bypassing Asterton Bank) :wink:

[url][/url]
    Ron would one of those chaps tony or dennis ride an older style trek madone and do some coaching at the track in shrewsbury? Met him in condover on a ride once nice chap.
    Lorretta will meet up one sunday but not this week and am not doing the edric as i do not believe in paying to ride on roads i use all year for free!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron would one of those chaps tony or dennis ride an older style trek madone and do some coaching at the track in shrewsbury? Met him in condover on a ride once nice chap.
    Lorretta will meet up one sunday but not this week and am not doing the edric as i do not believe in paying to ride on roads i use all year for free!

Wouldn't be Tony might be Dennis but more likely to be a Dave Nickolas another Golden oldie who may be out with us as well soon.
    The roads look a bit different with loads of bikes on them and there is also the camaraderie you may get from being with others before, during and after. Then if your like me you can get a great deal of satisfaction from getting round quicker than some that are half your age.
    Sportives are about using your head as well as your body :wink:

Ride safe (for free)
    Ron.
  • wicked
    I know what you mean Ron I have done the Dragon and Devil Ride this year but I draw the line at paying to use my regular training roads! I don not begrudge paying a fee which is too high IMO to use a route I have never used before and get decent feed station support.
    Last year I was out when the Edric was on and happened to stop at the all stretton feed station for a chat and all they had was fun sized mars bars! If thats what I get for £27 they can stick it.
    P.S
    I think you were right about it being Dave Nickolas the name now rings a bell, nice bloke and does not hang around either
  • simon_e
    wicked wrote:
    I think you were right about it being Dave Nickolas the name now rings a bell, nice bloke and does not hang around either
    May well have been Dave Nicholas, a MSW coach and club run regular. He and Dennis were both at the time trial last night. As it was the last one of the season there was a tasty buffet at the pub afterwards too :D

I'm not prepared to give Kilotogo money to ride my local roads, particularly after reading on this forum of the cheap junk food provided at last year's Cheshire Cat. 'Sports Nutrition' my ar5e! When you can join a Sunday club run for free and ride in company on similar roads where is the incentive to pay extra? I've been told that the MSW club run this weekend will be a bit flatter and less strenuous than the last couple of weeks.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Simon E wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    I'm not prepared to give Kilotogo money to ride my local roads, particularly after reading on this forum of the cheap junk food provided at last year's Cheshire Cat. 'Sports Nutrition' my ar5e! When you can join a Sunday club run for free and ride in company on similar roads where is the incentive to pay extra? I've been told that the MSW club run this weekend will be a bit flatter and less strenuous than the last couple of weeks.

Have to agree on the Sportive racket which appears to be part of cycling the 'new golf' syndrome...but not singling out Kilotogo specifically... they are after all only reacting to a 'market'.
    Had a look on the MSW website and impressed by the information, the range they do -- even a RR league..
    shame that the club is just a tad too far afield.. but yes a few other clubs could look and learn.
  • wicked
    Simon E wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    May well have been Dave Nicholas, a MSW coach and club run regular. He and Dennis were both at the time trial last night. As it was the last one of the season there was a tasty buffet at the pub afterwards too :D

Simon I will tag along on one of your club runs soon if you chaps do not mind, will nip over from Telford so only down the road.This sunday would have been nice but its a friend's birthday party saturday night so may be a little tender after that!
    Do you get a good turn out? Whats the pace like?
  • simon_e
    JGSI wrote:
    Had a look on the MSW website and impressed by the information, the range they do -- even a RR league..
    Thanks, it's nice to think we must be doing something right. I only joined in 2008 and have found it a very open, welcoming club to belong to.

The RR league isn't run by the club. This and the SCCA time trial series are run on an inter-club basis between clubs in the county/region. MSW campaigned long and hard for a dedicated cycle track and the 1km floodlit circuit at Sundorne is the result. The club's Go-Ride accredited coaches put in many hours for free to nurture some great youngsters in the youth squad as well as Tuesday and Thursday evening sessions.
    wicked wrote:
    Do you get a good turn out? Whats the pace like?
    Tony said the numbers have been in single figures recently but it's the summer hols (I don't think the club has bothered in July & August before). Should see more people drifting back over the next month or so. Keep an eye on the club run forum. He said he probably won't run one on the 5th because of the Edric and the Hospice charity ride.

The pace isn't too hot, they try to accomodate all riders in reasonable condition, but routes can be fairly hilly (hence the easier option this week). Ideally they'd like to have enough riders that the group could split naturally by ability, and maybe have a shortcut or bail-out option available to those not wanting the full monty 4+ hour hilly workout.
  • This Sunday I will be taking my wife out for her first ride on her Corratec Dolomite Tiagra 2010.

My gear and brake re-build went well, everything is fully serviceable so will be out on 31st for hill time trial at Stiperstones.