Wheel advice

Wingchunand
Wingchunand Posts: 19
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Evening all.

I've managed to kill the front wheel on my 2010 rockhopper so need to buy a new one. The thing is I don't have a clue of what's what.

I ride a fair bit on the road but do hit the trails probably once a month, so need something that would suit both, ideally.

It has been suggested that I buy a second hand, built, wheel of e bay, as this will be cheaper than building my own.

Any advice or help would be a massive help as I don't even know where to start! :D

Appologies if this has been covered before.... :oops:

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Have a look through the wheel builder here - http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... c/list.htm

I would go for an XT hub and Mavic XC 717 rim, comes out at around £70 with basic spokes and will be light.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    I have a Shimano M505 wheel you can have if you want it? Ideal for what you want.

Can be yours for £35 as its brand new and nevr used.
  • Will check that wheel guide Cheers the l33ter.

And cheers for the offer on the wheel, bwfc4eva. Got a few days off so will be having a look around. Will get back to you if I want it.
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    thel33ter wrote:
    I would go for an XT hub and Mavic XC 717 rim, comes out at around £70 with basic spokes and will be light.

Amen to that!

I bought a set of MT15 wheels with a disc brake set from Merlin. The wheels are fautless they spin for hours and i can sit there for hours with it in the bike stand just spinning the wheel once watching them turn for ever :lol:

A set of Cross Country wheels will suit you perfectly you can go down the fctory built route like my Shimano MT15's or you can do as i would have wanted to do the hand built route which means you can get exactly what you want. XT hubs are solid and good not the lightest but they certianly last and then XC717 rims are also true and solid to there job. If you dont want to splash out on 717's you could get some 317's if Mavic still sell them...