camper longflap

stevercp
stevercp Posts: 113
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
:D
hi all plan to use my longflap with sqr on my verenti millook
anyone used this on a roadbike
not carrying much just ovenite gear for a whizz round arran overnite at lochranza youth hostel :)

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Should be fine.
    You need about 5" of free seatpost. Carbon seatposts may not be a good idea, so if you've upgraded, put the old one back in for the duration.
    The bottom of the bag should be reasonably well clear of the tyre (3-4") even if mudguards are fitted
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've used the Carradice Super-C - similar size to yours - and it works fine. If you think you might do more of this sort of thing, it's worth getting the Quick Release Expedition Bagman - a saddlebag support rack - from Carradice. They are expensive - about £35, stupid money, really, for what they are, but they do a great job of keeping the bag stable, away from your seatpost and any rubbing with your legs, and let you get the bag off and on really quickly.

I do a lot of touring and so lashed out and having done so, would not go anywhere without it. Worthwhile investment, even if the upfront cost makes you shake your head..
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Im just back from my 1st tour on road bike with the SQR and Camper Longflap.
    Spent ages deciding what to get as had not planned on doing much touring...
    Bag is great and can fit quiet a lot of stuff...

The main problem is the length of seatpost you have available. Clamp requires about 7cm i think but its the clearance the bag will have above the rear tyre when fitted that is important...

Careful packing, putting heavy items towards the top helped a great deal. If your a tall rider and have a lot of exposed seatpost then it should not be a problem.

I secured the bag with two bungy cords and that kept it very stable.was even able to ride out of the saddle on hills.Also worth considering a rucksack cover or similar to keep it dry when raining.

I bought online from BikePlus who were the cheapest.
  • stevercp
    stevercp Posts: 113
    cheers for replys i have ordered 2 spare blocks so i can swap between rockhopper
    and millook i wont be putting much gear in the longflap enough for 3 nites maybe
    i have plenty of space or think i have will check in the morning
    :)