Giro/TdF double

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Me thinks Contador will put that little thought back in the cupboard
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There's talk he might still go for the Vuelta this year.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kléber wrote:
    There's talk he might still go for the Vuelta this year.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5006/ ... uelta.aspx

Roughly translated as "not a hope in hell".
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I'd like to see that. I'm not Contador's biggest fan but it's definitely good to see someone race a calendar that's not just the Tour with a few prep races thrown in.

Good for the sport I reckon.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Menchov for the Vuelta this year?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Menchov for the Vuelta this year?

It's going to be a pretty poor field, so yes.

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Giro Tour double:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12661621

Pretty sad if Contador does not compete in the Vuelta. He has no excuse this year of being under mental pressure during the TdF then after it with having to find a team. I really hope he races it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    I would suspect Contador's schedule will be thinning out a bit from now on. Cant see him going for a Giro - Tour double anymore and a Tour - Vuelta double is pretty remote now.
    Mañana
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    it was stated earlier in the year that he was going to ride the Giro next year. Not sure if that is true but I think if he can get the form of 09 back then he could do the giro tour double
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    sherer wrote:
    it was stated earlier in the year that he was going to ride the Giro next year. Not sure if that is true but I think if he can get the form of 09 back then he could do the giro tour double

If he races the Giro next year to win, I'd bet the house on Schleck beating him in the Tour. Noone who rode this year's Giro (OK, a tough one but the Giro is rarely easy) looked anything but cooked in the 3rd week. What was the highest a Giro rider came on GC? Did Ryder do it?

There's a lesson there.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Yep, I'd be amazed if Contador did the giro next year.

So who's doing the vuelta? Reckon Nibali will beat Menchov, but are there any other big names?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

So who's doing the vuelta? Reckon Nibali will beat Menchov, but are there any other big names?

Kreuziger and LL Sanchez appparently scheduled - but both haven;t yet really developed into 3-week GC big names.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    calvjones wrote:
    sherer wrote:

If he races the Giro next year to win, I'd bet the house on Schleck beating him in the Tour. Noone who rode this year's Giro (OK, a tough one but the Giro is rarely easy) looked anything but cooked in the 3rd week. What was the highest a Giro rider came on GC? Did Ryder do it?

There's a lesson there.

Vino was the best placed rider. 16th overall, which says a lot.

I think Contador doing the Giro would be a huge risk, and one I seriously doubt he would take. The Vuelta, maybe, because if you fail at the Vuelta, who cares.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    FJS wrote:

Kreuziger and LL Sanchez appparently scheduled - but both haven;t yet really developed into 3-week GC big names.

"Andy told me yesterday that he has signed up for the Vuelta a España. We both intend to contest the race," - Frank Schleck, a couple of weeks ago.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Abdoujaparov
    RichN95 wrote:

"Andy told me yesterday that he has signed up for the Vuelta a España. We both intend to contest the race," - Frank Schleck, a couple of weeks ago.

That's great news and Frank's got to be a serious contender then.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Just googled that stuff on Frank riding the vuelta and see that he thinks he'll probably ride for Andy. Might not be a good tip then! Still, who knows how it'll pan out...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    afx237vi wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    sherer wrote:

There's a lesson there.

Vino was the best placed rider. 16th overall, which says a lot.

I think Contador doing the Giro would be a huge risk, and one I seriously doubt he would take. The Vuelta, maybe, because if you fail at the Vuelta, who cares.

I agree it is a risk but I think Contador cares about his place in cycling and doesn't want to do just one race. he wants a Palmares like Merckx and so wants more than just the TdF, hence trying the classics this year.

As I said it all depends what AC it is. if it is the one from 09 then I think he could do both, if it's the one from this year then yes it will be a risk
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    RichN95 wrote:

That's great news and Frank's got to be a serious contender then.

Remember reading somewhere that Andy would work for Frank in return for Frank helping Andy in France. Since he didn't really get the chance, I wonder if the roles will have changed...

Would love to see Frank win a grand tour. Probably a good chance for him since Andy is more likely to dominate at the Tour from now on
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151

Igor anton : :D
    PTP winner 2015.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nowadays the only way you'll see a Giro/Tour double is if the best GTer in the world is Italian, on an Italian team.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Nowadays the only way you'll see a Giro/Tour double is if the best GTer in the world is Italian, on an Italian team.

I think there's one other way, and that's for the Giro course to be quite 'soft' (ie not too taxing). An example of this would the the 2004 version. However, for this to happen the best sprinter in the World needs to be Italian (in 2004 it was Petacchi) so they lay on plenty of flat sprinters stages.

However, there doesn't seem to be a great Italian sprinter arriving any time soon, so they'll keep going with their insanely bonkers parcours.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811

[whisper] Like Pantani? [/whisper]