4 year old - 14" or 16"

spdpug98
spdpug98 Posts: 112
I am after a bit of advice, my son will be 4 in October and the plan is to buy him his first proper bike, but I am a bit stuck on which way to go.

We have been down to our LBS and have tried him on a 14” and 16” wheel bike, both he can ride comfortably (with stabilisers and seat at lowest level), he also currently comes out for rides with me on a 16” wheel Trek Tag-a-long

So the question is do we give the 14” a miss and go straight for the 16”, my thinking around this is that he will get more use (i.e. in years) out of a 16” whereas if we buy the 14” we will just have to buy the 16” in a year or so

Also, anyone have any recommendations on what bike to buy him, I have heard that the Isla Bikes CNOC is a good start are there any others

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    To be honest I think that if your son cannot ride without stabilizers buy him a scooter bike - it will teach him quickly how to balance on the bicycle and use legs for support. Only then get him a bicycle with pedals and without stabilizers. I've heard a lot of opinions telling me that stabilizers do more harm then good, and now that I try to teach my son how to ride without them i find they were all true - a bike with stabilizers handles differently, corners differently and what's more important tilts with the ground - so many times when my son crossed a driveway I had to catch him because it would make him tip over.
  • spdpug98
    Thanks for the reply, I forgot to add that we hope to get him a balance bike within the next week or so. The hope is that by the time his birthday comes around he will be on two wheels, or at least almost there
  • spdpug98
    spdpug98 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, I forgot to add that we hope to get him a balance bike within the next week or so. The hope is that by the time his birthday comes around he will be on two wheels, or at least almost there

I have just converted one of his bikes into a Balance Bike by taking the crank and pedals off, don't know why I hadn't thought about it before!!

He has spent the last 20 minutes going up and down the front lawn (bit of a hill) and already he can balance to the bottom (6/7m), it is so true what they say. He has had that particular bike for ages and had never used it.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    If you have the budget, go to Islabikes.com, look up his size on her sizing chart and get the appropriate bike.

He'll love it and you'll never regret it.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Meurig06
    Meurig06 Posts: 9
    Hi m8,
    We bought a bike for my sons birthday when he turned 4 at the end of June. He is on the small size for a boy and after sitting him on them we got him a 16" bike.

The seat sits fairly low and we have (not my choice!) got stabilisers. The size is fine for him, in fact he is well away.

I would suggest a 16" would be fine for him.

Meurig
  • spdpug98
    Thanks for all the replies, he has gone off to play school all excited that he can have another go on his balance bike when he gets back

I think we will get him a 16" and will have another look on the Isla Bikes website, we did show him the Giant Animator which he quite likes.......but then who's choice is it anyway ;)