Quads are aching big time today

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I rode London to Southend and back last Sunday, during the week I had 4 x 32 mile round trip commutes and 1 x 15 mile round trip commute. Saturday was a rest day (at a wedding reception, few beers!) and yesterday I done the London to Cambridge and rode back.

Managed the 16 miles in this morning but feeling very achy (quads) and tired as the day goes on. Hope I perk up before the commute home and am contemplating using the car tomorrow...but really don't want to! Fingers crossed it's only the office that's making me feel knackered (it has that effect for some reason).

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    No stretching? Get up and walk around more than you would normally do.
  • essex-commuter
    Cafewanda wrote:
    No stretching? Get up and walk around more than you would normally do.

I'm the worlds worst at stretching. I know I should do it more but never do...it sounds stupid but I forget! Right, off for a walk now..might do it in a John Cleese manner for office entertainment value!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Feeling bit of an ache myself this morning - been on holiday for the last week as Mrs JW now has her new bike - couldn't figure why we both felt knackered yesterday evening until we sat down and worked out the mileage - 180 in the last 4 days :shock:
  • Cafewanda
    Protein recovery drinks (ie Guinness) would have minimised that 'knackered' feeling :wink:
  • essex-commuter
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Protein recovery drinks (ie Guinness) would have minimised that 'knackered' feeling :wink:

I've always steered clear of recovery drinks, thinking that decent grub will do the job just as well. Perhaps I need to rethink my strategy and start taking them?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Ive had no zip in my legs ever since I got back from 4 days in the Alps a couple of weekends ago. Just about managed a respectable time in the Richmond Park tt a week last Sunday, but my commuting performances have been dire. Should I be having a break? Increasing the training? Any other suggestions as to how I can refind my mojo?
  • Cafewanda
    I use recovery drinks after a run and on the only long ride I've done and have found them useful. Guinness is a favourite of mine and tend to knock that back as a nightcap, but I swear it help the legs recover (no medical evidence so don't shoot me) :wink:

Try to drink within 20 mins of riding and eating within the hour. See if that helps.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    What was your time for London Cambridge?

Never done a ride like that before - I did 3:05 - not sure what's a good time?
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Guinness is a favourite of mine and tend to knock that back as a nightcap, but I swear it help the legs recover (no medical evidence so don't shoot me) :wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3266819.stm ;)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • essex-commuter
    pastryboy wrote:
    What was your time for London Cambridge?

Never done a ride like that before - I did 3:05 - not sure what's a good time?

I didn't go all the way into Cambridge, I rode from my home 40 miles out and then turned East and headed for Rickling Green (with the help of my Garmin) and then came back through Stansted Mountfitchet, Harlow, Epping, Woodford etc.

I would have retraced the route back but there were so many planks riding 8 abreast and not taking any notice of the fact that that a road has two sides, I thought it safer to do a detour!

91 miles total, 18.9mph average.
  • pastryboy
    You're lucky to have not gone all the way into Cambridge - when it got to the main part of the town it was complete carnage - cars all over the place and lots of cyclists trying to find gaps that weren't there and work out which direction they were meant to be going in.

I imagine it would have been a pain trying the same route back - people were spreading out across the lane which meant any overtaking had to be done on the wrong side of the road. I almost felt sorry for some of the drivers who were getting boxed in by slow moving bikes.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    My clubmate was one of the first into Cambridge in 2:50 so 3:05 is a pretty good time. I rode up there with some work colleagues who had never gone further than 15 miles before the day (and they all finished bless 'em) so my pace was very leisurely - but at least I got to appreciate the scenery more than I normally do! :D

We retraced the route back at a fair old lick though (19's) and didn't have any issues with the hordes still making their way up there - just lucky I guess...
    Still breathing.....
  • Cafewanda
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Guinness is a favourite of mine and tend to knock that back as a nightcap, but I swear it help the legs recover (no medical evidence so don't shoot me) :wink:

So I'm ok to say I drank the stuff as a child? 8) Back in the mists of time the 'old folk' and my then doctor swore by it.
  • pastryboy
    hambones wrote:
    My clubmate was one of the first into Cambridge in 2:50 so 3:05 is a pretty good time. I rode up there with some work colleagues who had never gone further than 15 miles before the day (and they all finished bless 'em) so my pace was very leisurely - but at least I got to appreciate the scenery more than I normally do! :D

I was torn between going for it as I'd never done anything like it before and sticking with the people I started with who were probably about 2mph slower than I wanted to go.

Did about half and half in the end but much preferred the second half where I just went for it - I never was one for being sociable.
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

So I'm ok to say I drank the stuff as a child? 8) Back in the mists of time the 'old folk' and my then doctor swore by it.

You have to be careful when giving Guiness to children, it can stunt their growth.