Schwalbe Marathon Plus Split!

stevep3156
stevep3156 Posts: 37
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I commute on Schwalbe Marathon Plus ATB's, with smartguard - usually bombpoof, but I noticed on Friday a small (1cm) split just under the central ridge, through which I can see the blue smartguard belt.

I appreciate on most tyres, a split would immediately signal a replacement, but i'm wondering whether this smartguard would mean this is strictly necessary?

Has anyone else ever ridden on with these even though they are split? They're one of the toughest tyres i've ever ridden, i've used them for 3-4 years (got throuh 2 pairs so far) without a single puncture, so they may stil be usable!

Many thanks
Steve

Comments

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    If it were mine I'd look at the condition of the tyre as a whole and only replace it if there were other signs of significant wear or damage.
    A split on a newish, unworn tyre could be a reason to ask for a replacement if you can be sure that it is a split and not a cut. If there's some fault with the tyre then it might continue splitting.
    I would be tempted to see if superglue could be used to effect a lasting repair.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • stevep3156
    Thanks dondare, they're over 1 year old & reasonably worn but still with plenty of life & grip in them yet, & as they cost a fair bit i'm not keen on replacing them unless I have to.

I like the idea of using superglue, I hadn't considered that to be honest, I think I may give that a go to start with!

Thanks!

PS - sorry about my dreadful spelling in the first post!
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    How about whacking a bit of shoe goo over it?
  • stevep3156
    Just looked up what shoe goo was, never heard of it before... :oops:

Looks like another cracking option...I must admit I had been thinking along the lines of 'carry on with the split or replace the tyre', I wasn't considering sealing it...

Great stuff, many thanks...
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Haha, I reckon it would work well as it`s flexible