Fighting

sampurnell
sampurnell Posts: 126
edited July 2010 in Pro race
ok, whilst i am a Cav/Renshaw/Htc columbia fan, i am not one who believes the tour organisers are out to victimise them.

saying that can somebody explain how renshaw was worse then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFvbefsDN00&NR=1 :?: :?:

if you watch the closely you can see him run from about 10 feet with his wheel raised to hit him.

sorry if i missed a similar post.

Comments

• Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    He was doing it at 50kph and if he had gone down would have taken all the people behind him out resulting in broken bones and possibly ended careers. That's why.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • sampurnell
    and potentially breaking facial bones with the axel from the bike isnt particualrly bad?
    as my mum said, he could of had someones eye out with that.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    My favourite bit is the Rabobank soigneur squaring up to some sort of security guy...
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    I believe the commisaires were concerned that Renshaw's antics might have given Cav an advantage. If he were just fined, there'd be no reason not to do it again.

I suppose they don't want sprinters deliberately butting, obstructing etc, knowing that a stage win is well worth a 200 franc fine.
  • sampurnell
    i never said i dont think renshaw should of been booted - but surely something more then a small fine should of been handed out for public brawling?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The commissaires witnessed the Renshaw incident first hand while the beating up with a bike wheel incident wasn't. Or so they said.

Renshaw also did 2 bad things - headbutting and then cutting off Farrar and nearly putting him in the barriers.

These were their justifications for their actions - whether you agree or not. (I don't)
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    I think it was wrong to chuck him out, but on the plus side ... at least he'll be remembered for it ! And we all know, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Plus it didn't have the effect they desired in the end anyway.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Let's face it, the fighting was funny, so a fine was enough. Besides, if they had kicked Barredo out, we would have missed out on a few crazy, doomed attacks and especially his look of sheer disappointment as he trundled into Pau.

Meanwhile, they knew they could send a statement about the unacceptability of in-race headbutts out to the peloton by kicking Renshaw out, safe in the knowledge that it would make no odds to who won the sprint stages anyway...
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Pross wrote:

Yes it did. Renshaw didn't ride any further stages of the tour. That was the desired result.
  • Pross
    If you say so :wink:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Pross wrote:

Yes it did. Renshaw didn't ride any further stages of the tour. That was the desired result.

I agree with Shiny here.

Their actions did not have the required result.

As I said previously had this have been Garmin or Cervelo the punishment would have been a drop down the placings and high fine.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    edited July 2010
    In that case you don't agree with me.

Sure the penalty was about making it harder for cav to win future stages, in much the same way renshaw's actions were intended to make it easier for cav to win stage 10.
  • Pross
    So you don't agree with Shiny then? :wink:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Sorry :lol: I disagree with Shiny.