Bikey Things on BBC4

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited July 2010 in The bottom bracket
Just a heads up guys n gals.

Tuesday 27th

8.30 Britain by bike - the clare balding thing

9.00 Ride of My life- Rob Penn goes round the world trying to get parts to build his dream bike.

10.00 The Story of Tom SImpson. This is a repeat but last time I saw it it was on about 1 in the morning.

11.00 Thoroughly Modern- about Edwardian cycle technology (or if you live in Crewe cutting edge bike technology)
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    cheers - the thoroughly modern thing sounds 'interesting'
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Bumpity bump incase you miss them.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Just noticed them all myself now. There seems a positive slew of non-tour (excepting Tommy Simpson tonight) progs on tv now. There's the one following in Hadrian's footsteps, and the one about cycling Britain using old an old guide (forget the name), and now all these.
    Hoorah.
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    This 'Ride of my life' is actually rather enjoyable :)
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    campagone wrote:
    This 'Ride of my life' is actually rather enjoyable :)

Especially that art student at about 40 minutes in. :shock: :D
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    I met Claire Balding once, she was stood next to me in the urinals.
    :?
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    Ride of My life - really enjoyed it...except for the colour he chose! Even Mrs W seemed interested in bits of it. I think when he disclosed the cost she thought what i spend is small change.

Campagnolo didnt seem too friendly though, Im sure sram would be nicer! ;-)
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Or even that big Japanese company - look I like them O.K. :twisted:
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I missed the first 10 minutes of "Ride of My life" can someone tell me what frame he got.

Also looks like Chris King has been on the same industrial security course as Campagnolo.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Cleat Eastwood
    its on again at about half twelve. Th eframe was a custom built by Brian Rourke.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    953 steel.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Is it just me or did the 'ride of my life' bloke build 2 bikes and stick them together.

Cinelli, Campag, wheels.

&

Steel, Brooks, wheels.

Both sets were great but, didn't seem to gel together.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Mmm I thought that too about the the slight mismatch of parts... But I spose if it's what he wanted then fine with me. Campag was a good choice even if they didn't let us see around the campag willy wonka factory with groupset been fangled from unobtaineum and moondust spangle!!! I enjoyed it though. Good viewing.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Both good programmes but the bike build programme was excellent. Not sure about those wrap-around seat stays but that's a Brian Rourke thing. Brian at TWMP was in Portland last year and wrote about on the Washing Machine Post site.
    Whats not to like - custom bike,custom wheels,Italy and bikes all in one programme (and I suppose that artist 40 mins in)
    M.Rushton
  • fatfreddy
    fatfreddy Posts: 332
    and tonight at 10.30pm BBC4 - Belleville Rendezvous.

if you haven't seen it - a beautifully made animation about a TDF rider kidnapped by bad guys

FF
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Wow, is it Christmas. If it is, can I have a new bike, as well?
  • Marky
    Marky Posts: 504
    This link may be useful if you want to catch up on the programs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... h_Borders/

I use the iplayer quite a bit. Very useful. All the best.
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    As a whole i thought his bike looked terrible! Great individual parts and little stories behind each, but as a whole just looked crap.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I also had the same thought, everything looked nice when not on the bike, but the bike looked very pick and mix at the end.

Then again, if he likes it, that's all that matters.
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Watched the Tom Simpson part and was rather good.

But being fairly new to cycling I couldn't get my head round to why he was a cycling "legend".

He was a drug cheat at the end of the day, along with most of the peleton according to the documentary. Now this is just my opinion but he was that much of a user it killed him, where's the legendry status in that?

(cue the pelters)
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    slunker wrote:

But being fairly new to cycling I couldn't get my head round to why he was a cycling "legend".
    (cue the pelters)

why is this not on the iplayer??
  • mrushton
    He was the first British rider to really succeed in such a closed environment that had been dominated by the French and Italians. As for the drugs, well they were par for the course and hindsights a marvellous thing but back then, amphetamines,brandy,cocaine were par for the course for anyone wanting to succeed in a brutal sport.
    M.Rushton
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I've never condoned drugs in any sport.

Not making excuses for Tom, but mrushton makes a valid point, in the 60's drugs were the "norm" in top level cycling. I would say if most were on the gear the playing field was perversly levelled. :?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    sampurnell wrote:
    slunker wrote:

(cue the pelters)

why is this not on the iplayer??

I don't know, but it is being repeated at 2.15am tomorrow morning if you have a recorder (or suffer from insomnia).
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    slunker wrote:

He was a drug cheat at the end of the day, along with most of the peloton according to the documentary. Now this is just my opinion but he was that much of a user it killed him, where's the legendry status in that?

(cue the pelters)

How could he be a cheat? He didn't break any rules. Controls came in post Simpson's death.
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Beatmaker wrote:
    slunker wrote:

He was a drug cheat at the end of the day, along with most of the peloton according to the documentary. Now this is just my opinion but he was that much of a user it killed him, where's the legendry status in that?

(cue the pelters)

How could he be a cheat? He didn't break any rules. Controls came in post Simpson's death.

So every single racer was on drugs then???
  • mrushton
    Possibly. If you read the history books the Euro race circuit was brutal but these guys were stars and the pressure they were under from teams to succeed was immense. They could get v.well paid and even rich but winning was required or at least be seen to be a good contender. Road and track racing esp.the 6 day circuit were v.lucrative and a blind eye was turned to riders taking 'pot belge' or stimulants. Simpson had the chance to make a good living and retire in some comfort but the efforts cost him his life.
    M.Rushton
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My god, that Claire Balding thing was a bit boring. I Just watched it (or most of if until I found myself mapping the route on mapmyride to keep myself amused) and have just realised just how good people like Michael Palin and Robbie Coltraine are when they do their bits on B Road Britain or Around the World, etc. Then again, may be it is the the script writers? Not blaming Claire because the whole thing came across like one of those "educational" programmes.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    I met Claire Balding once, she was stood next to me in the urinals.

Cue the 'dyke on a bike' comments....
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    slunker wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:
    slunker wrote:

(cue the pelters)

So every single racer was on drugs then???

there was a quote in the program itself basically saying that it was a closed shop to a 'clean' rider and they would be ostracised by the peloton if they didn't dope.

For some more recent perspective (80's) have a read of Paul Kimmage's book Rough Ride (contraversial as either an expose of the reality of what it took to just be a domestique let alone a contender or a good foot in the door from a journeyman ex pro looking to get into journalism).

TBH even as a pro cyclist with access to world class coaching, nutrition and training doing 3000odd km over some of the lumpier bits of France in 3 weeks at an average of 30mph seems superhuman without some help -and in the 60's it was 4000 odd km. its all well and good villifying pople as drug cheats but it's spectators demanding faster, higher and more spectacular that created the monster.