Tour De France publicity stunts

daccordimark
daccordimark Posts: 68
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Thank God Armstrong won't be back next year to pull arrogant publicity stunts at the TDF. ASO should have thrown Radioshack off the race for disrespect.

There are plenty of outlets for publicising the good work that Livestrong does without highjacking a sporting event. He always bangs on about how he respects the race and the sport of cycling but his actions say otherwise.

I can't believe the rest of the team went along with it. Are they all so in awe that they daren't say no?

I remember well the days when protesting French farmers and others used to disrupt the race. In one incident I'm sure Hinault had a pop at someone. He was proper hard.

Mark.

Comments

• Almost as bad as that veneered cock end Tom Cruise sticking his head out of the red car and waving like the cameras where there just for him

However Ms diaz on the other hand could assist me with recreating a mild variation on a scene from "Something about Mary"

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    OH god no thanks. Just seeing her on top gear wanted me to slap her one, irritating bitch ....
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    OH god no thanks. Just seeing her on top gear wanted me to slap her one, irritating ***** ....

I had the same reaction!

Love to slap her one on her backside as she's bent over in front of me :twisted:
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Has her face gone funny?
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    ooh they changed their shirts! big whup.
    Storm in a teacup, badly handled by all concerned.

Radioshack should have gotten pre-approval. ASO could have been a bit less hysterical about the whole thing.

Not that it's relevant but the Livestrong shirts were quite a lot nicer than the normal Radioshack ones, maybe they should change their kit.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Where can I get a Black Radioshack shirt, 28 on the back?

Sized, 42" chest...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The entire race is a publicity stunt.

But the jersey nonsense yesterday was a pity. It's against the rules and once the team realised they couldn't race in them they should have stopped and changed quickly. Instead they delayed the race for some time. What should have been a celebration for the real jersey winners was shortened by the camera fodus on Armstrong's hunt for some safety pins.
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    I certainly agree the black kit looked so much nicer than their awful red and grey outfits. Why they didn't wear a variation on it (with all the sponsors/minus the number on the back etc) for the whole tour is beyond me.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Ok, I'll take a 40" and look like hulk Hogan then...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Didnt saeco play around with their kit on several occasions ? Cipo dressed as caesar once. Rock Racing had several kits on for the TOB the other year. Cant see the harm myself. At least radioshack would have looked different to BMC for once.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    the guy is a massive p3nis
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    They have to appear before a disciplinary commission

What did Bruyneel say?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:

What did Bruyneel say?

well they dont want to go alienating that lot...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    cougie wrote:
    Didnt saeco play around with their kit on several occasions ? Cipo dressed as caesar once. Rock Racing had several kits on for the TOB the other year. Cant see the harm myself. At least radioshack would have looked different to BMC for once.

the best one was saeco/cannondale dressed in cat in the hat convict uniforms on sub reg weight bikes with lead weights attached
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    iainf72 wrote:

What did Bruyneel say?

He called the commisars a bunch of c@cks on twatter (or words to that effect).

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Kléber wrote:
    The entire race is a publicity stunt.

Hurrah somebody got it right.
    The reason they think the TDF is the best race is because there is more publicity there.
    The ASO will do anything to get publicity and IMO they stoop very low sometimes to get that publicity.
    I still havn't got over the stage 1 finish in the suburbs of Brussels with a 4/5 lane very straight road being reduced to one and a half lanes that had curves.

WTF was the so called head butt incident if not just to get publicity. (that's not the way a race jury would make such a decision, except with the ASO pressure to get their way and very quick)

Remember if you can the biggest publicity stunt they ever had to play the day after the football world cup final in Paris.
    They really needed an attention grabber on that monday morning as they stepped back on French soil after being hidden away in Ireland. (well they knew they wouldn't get much publicity that weekend anyway)
    They pulled the rabbit out of the hat and it is called for ever more "The Festina Affair".

Slow down, Jock the Plod as there is an element of truth here but unfortunately it needs some thought and experience. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    How contrived. Popvych (or whoever) sitting down at the side of the road to settle in for a knitting session was my favourite bit.
  • Armstrong and his blatant rule breaking eh.....

damn that man what does he think he's doing. changing his shirt!

i don't belive it. i mean if he shows such little respect as changing his shirt what other rules do you think he might break?

a disciplinary hearing? is this his first one?, perhaps a bit token, maybe it's all the can get him for. sort of reminds you of how they got capone eh!
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Armstrong and his blatant rule breaking eh.....

a disciplinary hearing? is this his first one?, perhaps a bit token, maybe it's all the can get him for.!

More likely the UCI are trying to milk their cash cow just one more time... :wink:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    i don't belive it. i mean if he shows such little respect as changing his shirt what other rules do you think he might break?!

All of the sarcasm in the world won't change the fact that it was a breach of the rules.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Seems the UCI were not pleased either and have called Bruyneel onto the carpet to explain his comments.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-lau ... d-bruyneel
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It was clearly a big mistake by LA and Radioshack as they should have talked to the ASO and arranged it in advance, instead they end up looking stupid and the actual Livestrong message gets overshadowed.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Anyone else figure that Lance could do with a bit of this sort of controversy at the moment and less of the other?