Cavendish

Squaggles
Squaggles Posts: 875
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Why doesn't he get the credit he deserves ? And I'm not just talking about mainstream media in the UK
The UCI are Clowns and Fools

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Who says he doesn't? He's widely regarded as the best sprinter, and he is the best sprinter, what else should he get?
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Because he's never won a Tour jersey. Loser.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    15 stage wins in 3 Tours ranks higher than a green.
  • Cavendish = Legend
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    dougzz wrote:
    15 stage wins in 3 Tours ranks higher than a green.

Shhh, he's a loser.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    lol.. oh dear

bcc61d5525439f354d5e3ad6e2b4df62-getty-102149792ga071_le_tour_2010.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    He gets the credit he legitimately warrants (and I think legitimately a lot of it) - a very good sprinter over the final 300 metres.
    But there is nothing else (cycling-wise) he does to give him credit for, so no one should ever go overboard in their praise..
    I think he comes off pretty well in acclamation (like most sprinters, considering their contributions to most of a race - but I accept that's what races are about).
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    He's only been around in contention for three years in Grand Tours and he's already being talked about as one of the all-time greats across the cycling world.

Just a quick scan of the European press tonight reveals the huge respect and, at times, genuine awe in which he's received.

If he retired tomorrow he'd hold a number of records - one of only three riders in TdF history to win 4 stages in three successive Tours (with Rene Le Greves 1934-36 and Eddie Merckx 1969-72); most mass sprint victories ever (15 v old record of 12); most stages by rider e;igible for white jersey (15 v Merckx's 14) etc etc
  • neomoz
    neomoz Posts: 4
    Funny he's posing with the scott F1.

He couldn't win a stage with it, had to go back to his old addict to win.

I guess they'll have some time to market to figure out why it sucks for sprinting.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    knedlicky wrote:
    He gets the credit he legitimately warrants (and I think legitimately a lot of it) - a very good sprinter over the final 300 metres.
    But there is nothing else (cycling-wise) he does to give him credit for,

Apart from his Milan San Remo win and his amazing ability to rack up GT stage wins you might have a point there.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Moray Gub wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

Apart from his Milan San Remo win and his amazing ability to rack up GT stage wins you might have a point there.

Damned with faint praise or what?
    M.Rushton
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    The guy's a sprinter, what else ie he supposed to do? He's more than 10 years younger than Petacchi so plenty of time to 'transform' into something else but for now would people be happier if he went on the odd fruitless long break or tried not to be in the groupetto on a climb?
    At this rate he should overtake Merckx with the most Tour stage wins in 4 years!
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    He gets plenty of praise and adulation throughout the cycling media and fans across Europe. In the UK less so, but then again, cycling has a modest following in the UK.

He's the best at what he does - the Gary Linaker of cycling - a great finisher.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    inseine wrote:
    The guy's a sprinter, what else ie he supposed to do? He's more than 10 years younger than Petacchi so plenty of time to 'transform' into something else but for now would people be happier if he went on the odd fruitless long break or tried not to be in the groupetto on a climb?
    At this rate he should overtake Merckx with the most Tour stage wins in 4 years!

+1

Its insane to belittle him because he does what he's meant to better than anyone else in the World. And its not like he's allowed to tootle up to the last 300m at 30kph is it? Right now he's actually better than he was last year, at least relative to theopposition who have been nowhere this year. I'd like to think a part of Cav is also enjoying the fact that he's come out of this Tour with his reputation enhanced unlike his old oppo Wiggins
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Niland
    Niland Posts: 35
    I'd say that he is only a handful of spring classic wins and a green jersey in the TdF away from being declared the greatest sprinter ever.

What I really like about him is the fact that he is a winner through and through, something and someone we don't see often (enough) in the UK.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Moray Gub wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

And the World Championship Madison gold medal. Otherwise a vastly over-rated rider. :wink:
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    He is the anti-UK sportsman stereotype... He wins and tells people about it.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    The competition looked p1ss poor in the mass sprints.

Can't decide whether that's because Cav is just so much faster? Or the others are either second-rate (Dean, Ciolek etc) or well past their sell-by date (Pettachi, McKewen etc). Hushovd looked strong enough, but clearly didn't have the speed following his injury.

Perhaps we need to see Greipel v Cav?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He suffers a little of making everything look easy.

When people see what looks like effortless winning it goes against the instincts to think he's really doing his best > which he obviously is.

Also, because sprints, by their nature, mean you don't see the rider untill 300m before the line, the efforts doesn't seem as great.

But he makes it look easy because he is just ridiculously good.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    He's a fuckin legend.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182

Can't decide whether that's because Cav is just so much faster? Or the others are either second-rate (Dean, Ciolek etc) or well past their sell-by date (Pettachi, McKewen etc). Hushovd looked strong enough, but clearly didn't have the speed following his injury.

Er there is no-one second rate in the front at 70kph+ - you are either a contender or not. Perhaps your sprint skills/assessments should be offered out there if you believe you can offer more. All those names you mention are the best in their field. (Un)fortunately, cavendish is equivalent to someone like Usain Bolt in that they have raised the bar within the discipline - having said that, cavendish has a superb team (as he always tells us) who deliver him to his launch point.
    M.Rushton
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

They're not second rate. He just makes them look second rate. A comparision can be made with Usain Bolt who makes Gay and Powell look second rate, even though they're the second and third fast runners ever.

Personally, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Greipel. I think he's hopelessly over rated. Farrar's probably the second best (IMO).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    I don't know enough about pro cycling to have an opinion on his merits, but the enjoyment he gave me yesterday practically made up for the World Cup. I'm a bit hoarse from screaming (happily) at the telly when he kicked for the finish.

Seen again, that side-angle shot at about 400m is almost comical, it'll be on "What happened next?" in few years' time. "And now Thor Hushovd checks that his wicker basket is firmly attached...gives a little ding on his bell to alert any pedestrians...and presses down sharply on the pedals...surely he has this race in the ba...."
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    He's a fuckin legend.

+1

Guys immense. That final burst yesterday was just awesome.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    RichN95 wrote:

They're not second rate. He just makes them look second rate. A comparision can be made with Usain Bolt who makes Gay and Powell look second rate, even though they're the second and third fast runners ever.

Personally, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Greipel. I think he's hopelessly over rated. Farrar's probably the second best (IMO).

+1 to all this other than possibly Farrar (we'll see when he's fit). Greipel isn't even the second best sprinter at HTC IMO, I reckon Renshaw would beat him at the end of a hard stage. Difference is Renshaw is happy playing second fiddle to help the team and Greipel prefers to sulk. We'll see next season when Sour Greips gets to go head to head. Something like the Tour Down Under he may win but come Tour time I'd be amazed if he gets through the mountains.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think Farrar is less of a sprinter and more of a classics rider but success in the sprints has seen him channel his energies there because it can bring more ready wins. Think Museeuw early in his career. Physiologically Farrar has what it takes to breakaway and do well in short TTs.

As for Cavendish, he really is exceptional and of all the riders in the Tour, he was probably the best rider in terms of achievement and domination. Yes Contador was good but had moments of weakness. Cancellara "only" won on Saturday by nine seconds.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549

clap clap clap
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I think he's proved how good he is this tour. With Renshaw out and his train suffering, he's had to do a Mcwan and latch onto the back of other guys, which he has done brilliantly. His last two wins achieved this way.

Well done Cav and keep it up!
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    I do think that has a lot to do with it . I realise he gets far more credit in places like Belgium but I'm talking about the UK and UK cyclists

The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    neomoz wrote:
    Funny he's posing with the scott F1.

He couldn't win a stage with it, had to go back to his old addict to win.

I guess they'll have some time to market to figure out why it sucks for sprinting.

The official line was that they hadn't got his position set up quite right on it, so they went back to his old bike.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...