Road rash blues....

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited July 2010 in The bottom bracket
Went down hard today with road rash on my knee, elbow, arm and shoulder.

Had a long bath a cleaned up. Figured leave it uncovered and let it breath?

Any pointers on it?

Gutted as Dura Ace shifter, rear mech and pedal looked shocking now. Usual thing led on the deck thinking screw the injuries how's the bike looking :-(

Deflated to say the least but taking a positive out out of an upsetting day did 50 hilly mendip miles including cheddar gorge with 12-25 on the back and 200 miles this week in total over 4 rides

Pete.

Comments

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    If it's clean, then do either, but bandages will mean you won't get plasma on your clothes and when you catch it, it won't hurt as much.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810

Get some hydrocolloid patches, ie don't leave it uncovered, but cover it something totally.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Gutted as Dura Ace shifter, rear mech and pedal looked shocking now. Usual thing led on the deck thinking screw the injuries how's the bike looking :-(

Pete.
    I wouldn't worry, that's how they look out of the box :wink:
  • Stick8267
    Stick8267 Posts: 154
    jibberjim wrote:

Get some hydrocolloid patches, ie don't leave it uncovered, but cover it something totally.

Absolutely. If you can get some put Granuflex on it and leave it for five days. It will smell a bit 'odd' and look a mess when it comes off but will lift any gravel out and minimise the risk of tattooing.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Cover it. When I got some really deep road rash on my hip about a year ago, once they cleaned it, they put some mesh like stuff (with Iodine in it apparently) on it and then covered it with a massive dressing. Took ages to heal, but the scaring is much better than it would have been if it had been left uncovered. Plus, if the it's somewhere where skin needs to bend/fold then having it all dry and crispy will hurt when it cracks.

I have a scar on my elbow too. It leaves a big white/pink area in the summer when I tan, and then when the tan is gone it's just a big pink area. Still looks like a fresh scar nine months later.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jibberjim wrote:

+1 - uncovered = scars, hydrocolloid = no scars.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Cover it with a hypercolloid bandage.