New bike for commuting, recommendations

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Getting a bike through cycle to work scheme from halfords, and have a voucher for £400.
I already have a mountain bike so I don't want to get another one.

I was going to go for the carrera TDF, which is £299 at halfords, down from about £449. but nowhere near me has a large one in stock(I live near portsmouth) and they can't get any more from head office as it was a tour special.

Am looking at the following 2 bikes
Carrera Virtuoso

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710

Carrera Gryphon

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

They've both been given good reviews on bikeradar.

Any comments on these 2 bikes? Are there any other options I have (I spotted a great boardman hybrid but it is £499 and you cannot add to your voucher, so I have to stick to £400 budget).

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both good bikes, just slightly different ie the flat bar. You won't do better for the money really.

As for sizing, try some out: you could be something different.
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    +1

Carreras are great bikes and are superb value for money.

If you already have a flat barred bike then try the Virtuoso as the drops may pleasantly surprise you once you get used to them. It took me about 200 miles but now I love em.
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    I may now have the option of the TDF as found out I actually need a medium, rather than a large.

Coming from a MTB background, and knowing nothing about road bikes, is there much difference between the TDF and the virtuoso? Is one better than the other?

I think I would be more confident on the gryphon as it has flat bars, and similar brakes and gears that I am used to on my MTB, but I'm sure I could learn to ride a road bike easily enough.

I have no idea which is the better bike though, in terms of spec. From what I've seen, the 3 bikes have various tyre widths(varying from 700x23 on TDF, to 700x25 on virtuoso and 700x28 on gryphon). I know a narrower tire will roll better, but would there be that much difference between the 3? I have also seen that the virtuoso and the gryphon weigh about 10.5kg, and the tdf apparently weighs 10.9kg.

I've heard good and bad things about all 3. I sat on the tdf and gyphon today and the gryphon obviously felt more natural, but is that a good thing? Are there many benefits to getting a road bike with drop bars, to what is essentially a road bike with flat bars? Is there more to it than that?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Definitely go for the Virtuoso or Gryphon. They both have carbon forks and better components, compared to the TDF's alloy fork and Shimano 2300, which is similar to Shimano Tourney for mountain bikes.

They tyre widths will make almost no noticeable performance difference but fatter tyres add comfort.
    Are there many benefits to getting a road bike with drop bars, to what is essentially a road bike with flat bars? Is there more to it than that?

Drop bars allow more hand positions, so it is more comfortable over long distances, and you can get lower down, so you are more aerodynamic.

I would go for the Virtuoso because it will end up being the quickest, but it depends if you are comfortable on it.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    The Virtuoso has steel forks but steel will flex and absorb road buzz just the same as carbon and the weight difference is nothing.

Just as the weight difference between the 3 bikes you will not notice a difference.

The specs of the 2 road bikes as pretty much the same so do you like yellow or blue?

As for the bar selection it really is a matter of comfort over longer distances. Riding on the hoods is a lot more comfortable than you could imagine even though you are more stretched out and aero. But they are not for everyone and I use both on different bikes.

As for the tyres I have 28mm and 23mm and I would say the 28mm ones are (a little) softer but the 23mm ones are (a little) faster.

You pays your money you gets your choice springs to mind.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    thel33ter wrote:
    Definitely go for the Virtuoso or Gryphon. They both have carbon forks and better components, compared to the TDF's alloy fork and Shimano 2300, which is similar to Shimano Tourney for mountain bikes.

They tyre widths will make almost no noticeable performance difference but fatter tyres add comfort.
    Are there many benefits to getting a road bike with drop bars, to what is essentially a road bike with flat bars? Is there more to it than that?

Drop bars allow more hand positions, so it is more comfortable over long distances, and you can get lower down, so you are more aerodynamic.

I would go for the Virtuoso because it will end up being the quickest, but it depends if you are comfortable on it.

:oops: I was thinking of the Vanguish. Ignore everything I said :roll:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'd go for the Virtuoso over the TDF. I don't trust halfords not to overprice something while it's popular, exibit A the Boardman Team Carbon's sudden £200 price increase during the tour after being on sale at £1000 for nearly 2 years. Rip off merchants.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017