DILEMMA: what to do, what to do ...

slowlanejane
slowlanejane Posts: 312
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Need an all-round bike for:
Occasional Commuting, distance varies, up to 18 miles, need panniers to carry laptops & papers etc, but not having to carry too much
+
Bit of local shopping as & when
+
Tag-a-long attached bike rides with kids on towpaths etc
+
Rides where I'll need to lock & leave the bike (only use the roadie when I can maintain eye contact)
+
General bimbling about

Do I go for hybridised road bike or some kind of tourer?

Pro/con for the hybridised road option:
Pros: Faster, counts towards the road mileage / training I'm trying to achieve, better looking, I'm a bit of a roadie at heart
Cons: I've aready got a road bike (but not suitable for panniers etc and I dont want to fiddle with my speed machine) , bit hard on the bumps & potholes. Not great with a tag-a-long, not so comfortable for long leisure rides with the family.

Pro/cons for tourer:
Comes with all the fixtures & fittings, comfy, will go anywhere & do anythying
Cons: Heavy, slower, too squashy (even without suspension)

Input from users appeciated - what do you lot think?

Comments

• Sounds like what you need is a rough and tumble road bike. Kona make quite a few good ones, steel frames, strong wheels, mudguard and rack mountings. Have a look at the Honky Tonk for example:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=22815
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Fast tourer with lightweight frame but long wheelbase and eyes for mudguards and carriers. Doesn't have to have excessively heavy wheels and tyres but does have room to fit them if you want them.
    There used to be a lot of options but these days the handbuilt British lightweight is a bit of a rarity. Mercian still make them.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Fast tourer/audax style bike sounds like what you need.
    Riding on 531
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Waits for Tricross brigade to swing into view..... 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter