wiggins was wrong

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited July 2010 in Pro race
after the prologue:- "you don't win the tour in the prologue it will be won in the mountains"

41 seconds given to Contador by Frank in Rotterdam ......

Comments

• samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    Wiggins was wrong about so many things..
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    And his socks are an obscenity :lol:
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    after the prologue:- "you don't win the tour in the prologue it will be won in the mountains"

I take it you mean Andy?
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    zippypablo wrote:

I take it you mean Andy?
    [/quote]

:oops: yes!
  • zippypablo
    prologue and chain slip cost Andy the tour? Or would Bert have been able to make time back elsewhere?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Andy lost the Tour because he finished with a slower time than Alberto. Pretty simple really.

Doesn't matter WHERE that time was lost - it was lost and that's all that matters. Sucks to be him.
  • zippypablo
    Pokerface wrote:
    Andy lost the Tour because he finished with a slower time than Alberto. Pretty simple really.

Doesn't matter WHERE that time was lost - it was lost and that's all that matters. Sucks to be him.
    Yea, I understand how it works thanks. Question was, if Bert had to gain time on Andy in the mountains would he have been able to?
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    zippypablo wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Yea, I understand how it works thanks. Question was, if Bert had to gain time on Andy in the mountains would he have been able to?
    I agree. Andy needed to climb himself a lead, and maybe start earlier - Contador looked done in on the T..
    next year must be AS's
  • Pokerface
    zippypablo wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Hard to say for certain. Andy looked strong. Bert spent most of his time wheelsucking. If the situation was reversed, who knows if Bert could have gotten away. He tried a few times and didn't have much luck.

The problem with this type of racing is that it is full of 'what if's?". That's what I mean by him losing time - he lost it and that's all that matters in the end.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Agree with much of above, all that ,matters is the time, where you gain or lose it is not important. That Menchov is a sneaky little devil, hardly showed on any stage and there he is a mere couple of minutes down.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    dougzz wrote:
    Agree with much of above, all that ,matters is the time, where you gain or lose it is not important. That Menchov is a sneaky little devil, hardly showed on any stage and there he is a mere couple of minutes down.

And Menchov was stitched by the Spa neutralisation. Still, he made the podium so I win £355! Not bad...
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    It does matter where the time is lost and you can bet that Andy Schleck will be looking at this and trying to make sure it doesn't happen in the same way next year. Probably won't be riding SRAM!
  • Specialized chainsets are known to bend and drop chains, that's why quickstep ditched them after their first training camp.
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    Specialized chainsets are known to bend and drop chains, that's why quickstep ditched them after their first training camp.

Whats that got to do with this post :?:

AS was using SRAM as where many others who had a trouble free tour
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    orbeaorca wrote:
    Specialized chainsets are known to bend and drop chains, that's why quickstep ditched them after their first training camp.

Eh?!

The point is loads of top riders were on SRAM Red without a problem. Saxo-Bank were using Spesh chainsets, which (Rodrego was hypothesising) may have been responsible for Schleck's chain 'issues'- ie other teams refused to use them!

Anyway, back to the orig post - Andy didn't lose the Tour in the prologue. That's far too simplistic a way to boil down a 3-week Grand Tour. Sure he lost a bit of time there, but it didn't define his approach/tactics.

Perhaps Wiggo lost the Tour there, as it dawned on him that he was way off where he needed to be (despite his cocky post race interviews).
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    orbeaorca wrote:

Eh?!

The point is loads of top riders were on SRAM Red without a problem. Saxo-Bank were using Spesh chainsets, which (Rodrego was hypothesising) may have been responsible for Schleck's chain 'issues'- ie other teams refused to use them!

Anyway, back to the orig post - Andy didn't lose the Tour in the prologue. That's far too simplistic a way to boil down a 3-week Grand Tour. Sure he lost a bit of time there, but it didn't define his approach/tactics.

Perhaps Wiggo lost the Tour there, as it dawned on him that he was way off where he needed to be (despite his cocky post race interviews).

As far as I know Andy Schleck was using a SRAM Red LTE groupset on his bike as was Fabian Cancellara
  • Pokerface
    Saxo Bank use a combination of Specialized crank ARMS with Sram Red CHAINRINGS.

saxo_bank_tarmac_sl3_yellow_crank_600.jpg

There have been complaints in the past about Red chainrings being flexy - but they updated the rings in recent years to make them stiffer.
  • A question if I may? -

Paul Sherwen (I know, I know) said Schleck's problem might have been prevented by having a chain guard, but that to save weight he didn't have one fitted. Given that Schleck's bike could presumably have had one fitted and the weight reduced elsewhere (doesn't he have small weights attached to the frame to take it up to legal weight?) this doesn't seem to make sense.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    A question if I may? -

Paul Sherwen (I know, I know) said Schleck's problem might have been prevented by having a chain guard, but that to save weight he didn't have one fitted. Given that Schleck's bike could presumably have had one fitted and the weight reduced elsewhere (doesn't he have small weights attached to the frame to take it up to legal weight?) this doesn't seem to make sense.

Apparently all the Saxo bank riders had chain guards fitted (there was an interview with one of their team mechanics on the ITV4 highlights who confirmed it).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • zippypablo
    Pokerface wrote:
    zippypablo wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Hard to say for certain. Andy looked strong. Bert spent most of his time wheelsucking. If the situation was reversed, who knows if Bert could have gotten away. He tried a few times and didn't have much luck.

The problem with this type of racing is that it is full of 'what if's?". That's what I mean by him losing time - he lost it and that's all that matters in the end.
    Yea, fair point. Over 3 weeks there's plenty of "what if" questions.
  • Pokerface
    edited July 2010
    saxo_bank_tarmac_sl3_chain_watcher_600.jpg

You can see the chain catcher attached in the pic above. Don;t ask me how he still managed to drop the chain (although I've had one fitted in the past and still dropped my chain so they are not infallible).
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    People keep forgetting that the reason Andy had time over Bertie was because Frank stacked it on the cobbles and caused a delay. Bertie was faster over three weeks. End of.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Interesting that Schleck seemed to have problems with his gears again yesterday. Just after Contador "attacked" him before they got to the Champs Elysees he had to switch bikes. Wonder if the problem was the same?
  • Pokerface
    Interesting that Schleck seemed to have problems with his gears again yesterday. Just after Contador "attacked" him before they got to the Champs Elysees he had to switch bikes. Wonder if the problem was the same?

Are you being serious?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Pokerface wrote:

Are you being serious?

Are you John McEnroe?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:

Are you being serious?

Are you John McEnroe?

You CANNOT be serious!
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    By rights, Schleck shouldn't have even been in contention after St 2. How many favours does this guy want/need? Schleck wasn't even in the yellow jersey at that stage. Thankfully, his high-profile team-mate was and he played a 'get-out-of-jail-free' card.

Over the 3 weeks, the best guy won - end of.
  • Pokerface
    Over the 3 weeks, the best guy won - end of.

Naw.... the best RIDER won. ;)