Dug Posts: 153
edited July 2010 in Amateur race
Hutch 17.57 today on the V718

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Jeez!!!
    I've got no chance against him now, then... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Beats Wiggins' record be a second.

I want to do a 10 on that course!! (But all the remaining events are when I'm away).

Anyone know of some other super-fast 10 courses in the North West?
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Ryan Mullen - 19:14 at age 15.
  • blackhands
    Fast NW Course L1015

http://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Default ... &tabid=362

tBTW he course that Hutchinson rode this week was near Hull so NE.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    people shouldn't be allowed to ride on the a63 nevermind have organised events. its too busy/ important a road to have people cycling along completely oblivious to their surroundings.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blackhands
    On what grounds do you say that - have there been accidents?
  • gsk82
    blackhands wrote:

there are accidents on it every year. due to it not having a hard shoulder and been the only proper road into hull the area grinds to a halt as soon as anything happens to slow traffic flow on it. add in that its the route probably 90% plus of freight traffic (into one of the countrys busiest ports) takes and to me it seems a ridiculous course to me
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    gsk82 wrote:
    blackhands wrote:

there are accidents on it every year. due to it not having a hard shoulder and been the only proper road into hull the area grinds to a halt as soon as anything happens to slow traffic flow on it. add in that its the route probably 90% plus of freight traffic (into one of the countrys busiest ports) takes and to me it seems a ridiculous course to me

If you knew anything about TTing you'd know that events on that course are held when the traffic count is at it's lowest, i.e. in the evenings, early mornings.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Pokerface
    blackhands wrote:
    Fast NW Course L1015

http://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Default ... &tabid=362

tBTW he course that Hutchinson rode this week was near Hull so NE.

Thanks - someone mentioned that course to me on Saturday.
  • gsk82

If you knew anything about TTing you'd know that events on that course are held when the traffic count is at it's lowest, i.e. in the evenings, early mornings.

i do know that, i ride with a club who organise a lot of events on there. that road is very rarely not busy, certainly not at 7pm on weekdays. due to the tides its not necessarily rush hour that has the largest number of lorries on it.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    nothing beats the feeling of being sucked along a DC by a load of HGV's!

I'm guessing thats why its so fast?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Chris Boardman has gone faster.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    gsk82 wrote:
    people shouldn't be allowed to ride on the a63 nevermind have organised events. its too busy/ important a road to have people cycling along completely oblivious to their surroundings.

I doubt that course is any more dangerous than any other TT course. Our local course which is a SC with traffic island on it, is alot more dangerous in my eyes than any DC course I have ridden on.

Plus there is nothing illegal about riding on a DC even if you are not racing, unless there are signs up to say no cycle traffic.

You can have an accident in training more than likely on a country lane, with some nutter thinking he is in a rally. I have never felt in danger ridding on a DC course.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    How dangerous is TTing on dual carriageways - how many deaths/serious injuries have there been in TTing in the last decade and how many of them were on DCs vs non DCs?

Having ridden a few DCs this year it's true they seem less dangerous when you are riding on them than you'd think - even so I still feel more at risk on them than on your average non DC road. My perceptions aren't really that relevant though as there has been enough TTing on DCs for there to be some hard facts on accident rates.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Obsession with 'fast times' is crazy to me.

I wouldn't race on a road that I wouldn't train on - seemples!

Racing on the A1 - what a great idea :roll:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    How dangerous is TTing on dual carriageways - how many deaths/serious injuries have there been in TTing in the last decade and how many of them were on DCs vs non DCs?

Having ridden a few DCs this year it's true they seem less dangerous when you are riding on them than you'd think - even so I still feel more at risk on them than on your average non DC road. My perceptions aren't really that relevant though as there has been enough TTing on DCs for there to be some hard facts on accident rates.

Been a few on the R25/7 in my neck of the woods. Used to be the course that people would ride locally to chase a time before the Hirwaun ski slope started but I won't ever ride on it again.
  • 05hcarth
    05hcarth Posts: 25
    proto wrote:
    Chris Boardman has gone faster.

and Obree...
  • proto
    Didn't know about Obree. What was his time?

I believe Chris Boardman recorded a 17m 50s.
  • Pokerface
    Wiggins has the CTT record. Or did until Hutch broke it. Not sure how the other times fall into the mix?
  • proto
    Boardmans' was a club event and so not eligible for competition record.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Just so long as he didn't look like this:

http://martin.photium.com/photo5681656.html
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    nolf wrote:
    Just so long as he didn't look like this:

http://martin.photium.com/photo5681656.html

cornholio.png
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    grantus wrote:
    Obsession with 'fast times' is crazy to me.

I wouldn't race on a road that I wouldn't train on - seemples!

Racing on the A1 - what a great idea :roll:

DerpDurrDog.jpg