Upgrade old bike or buy new bike

uphill struggler
uphill struggler Posts: 9
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have always cycled, though much over last 10 years, and never a proper road bike, and now, at the grand old age of 52, I have gotten the road bike bug and am keen to enter some sportives and stuff like that (hopefully without disgracing myself in my age category at least)
I have started out on an old Peugeot Elite (P10), and have replaced the rather high gearing (53/42 chain rings with 5 speeds at the back) with a compact 50/34 and 7 sprockets at the back, which is helping my old knees enormously on these Welsh hills and my regular 18 mile commute, and added clipless pedals. I may be in a position to spend a bit more money on my new hobby at some point so I'm wondering whether it is worth continuing to spend cash on my rather characterful steel frame, friction shifter on the down tube, Peugeot - maybe put on some lighter wheels, a 10 speed cassete should work with new wheels etc, or whether I should budget for a new bike at some point (my budget, as a family man with a lot of other overheads, is never likely to go over £1k to be honest)

I'd be interested in the opininions of those with more knowledge of these things than I have (I mean I have never actually ridden a good modern road bike to make a comparison with!) Thanks.

Comments

• James T
    James T Posts: 104
    It is invariably more cost effective to buy a new bike complete.
  • Thanks for the advice, but isn't it possible that a steel frame will last longer than some of the lighter modern frames - also I can upgrade a bit at a time rather than forking out £700 plus in one go?
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    It may be worth checking if your employers do the Cycle to Work scheme - it would effectively make a £1k bike cost circa £600 and spread the payments.
    Cycling weakly
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I had a five speed Peugeot as a teenager, loved it :-)

You might have a wee problem upgrading to 10 speed with the axle width. I think some of the old steel framed bikes run a narrower axle than modern bikes. There are ways to bend the frame wider though.

If you're on a budget look at used bikes on ebay or gumtree, look for ones that have been ridden once then left in the garage! I got my Cannondale like that. 1200 quid new, barely used but three years old, mine for 400 :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Uphill Struggler, if you want to keep upgrading, by all means do.

I had been debating whether to upgrade my old Raleigh Road Ace purely and simply to gain the benefits of modern shifters and gearing etc. I have decided not to but simply to keep it in its retro state. It works well so if it ain't broke... is the logic I've applied along with a heavy dose of nostalgia.

However, if you do chose to follow the upgrade route there is little stopping you. £ for £ buying a complete bike will have financial advantages but if you are happy doing most of the upgrades yourself then why not do it bit by bit. In a few years, when all of your components are new you can stump up for a new frame and then you'll be on a completely new machine.

The limitation with going 10 speed will be the axle width as your rear spacing will be 126 mm as opposed to 130. This can be overcome via two routes. Widening the rear spacing through cold setting the frame or having new wheels re dished on a narrower axle to fit the 126 mm spacing. Paul Hewitt in Leyland ( a respected wheel builder) offered this as a solution to me.

The biggest hurdle is if you want to go 10 speed you are realistically looking at new wheels and drive train all at the same time. This will be a fair proportion of the cost of a full bike. You won't be able to go ten speed drive train without new wheels.
  • Red Rider
    Red Rider Posts: 93
    It's been mentioned elsewhere the last few days.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360045297/
    Well within your £1000 budget and really decent spec. If I had my £600 again (I went for an Allez last year) then I'd probably be goin for this.

I've done up an older bike for knockin about on, but you'll appreciate the newness on a lengthy ride.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    If your Peugeot has a carbolite frame, it's probably not worth spending more money on. Keep it as a winter hack/commute. If you are fond of steel, there is nothing to stop you from getting a better framed old bike. Yes, they do tend to outlast the more exotic materials. However, the new stuff is usually nice and nimble.
    Cold setting the rear dropouts isn't that difficult - decent LBS will do it for you. Probably not worth it for a carbolite Peugeot, however. Nothing wrong with its current 7 speed incarnation for a commuter.
  • PeeDee
    PeeDee Posts: 88
    Hi Uphill, great to hear that you are getting back into road biking again!

I would say that the question is as much psychological rather as technical. Do you feel happier with "traditional" bike and kit? Would you feel a bit out of place riding a flashy new bike (feels a bit like a mature man wearing clothes designed for teenagers?)

Cost-wise, in the long run you are going to spend the same amount of money on either option. Just about every component will now be non-standard on your old bike (frame, headset, hubs, stem, bars, gears, bottom bracket, chain, crankset... )

Maybe look for a second hand steel framed sportive bike a couple of years old?

PS I'm 50 and know how you feel. With lower gears I seem to be able to ride just as far and nearly as quickly as before, I just don't have the power for climbing steep hills that I used too. Definitely right to go for lower gears if you can.

One last thought, are you really going to ride so much you will wear out a new bike frame? If so then hats off to you!
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I'm the same age as you and if I was in your boat I'd use the Peugot as a winter hack and get a nice new summer bike on the cycle to work scheme. The only thing I would add is insist on a triple chainset. We're not getting any younger and a compact may be OK now but in a couple of years time when you hit that big hill on the hundred mile mark on The Fred those extra low gears may be a god send.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Very many thanks to all of you for offerring such really useful (and friendly) advice - it's given me a lot to think about, so I will do just that and let you know what I decide in due course; there's a lot to consider and a couple of bigger rides coming up to help me clarify my thinking. I'll keep you posted!
  • PeeDee wrote:
    I would say that the question is as much psychological rather as technical. Do you feel happier with "traditional" bike and kit?
    I've been having a good think and looking at lots of bikes and I've come to the conclusion that this really hits the nail on the head - I just prefer the style and elegance of the traditional Peugeot to the look and feel of modern bikes, even though I know they are much lighter and therefore faster generally, easier for climbing hills etc they don't inspire me aesthetically in the same way - and there is a real sense of satisfaction in matching the performance of many more modern bikes in longer rides where pure top speed potential is not the only factor, and being a natural eccentric and individualist I like riding something a bit different and left field.

So even though my bike is only a Carbolite frame, and therefore not worth bothering with in many peoples opinion, it's what I have - barring the sudden appearance of a PX10, or the day I can afford a modern hand built steel bike - and it is serving me well. But I would like to make it lighter and faster if possible so I'm thinking about putting on some new wheels - does anyone have any recommendations for wheels that are light and fast, but able to cope with Welsh roads and potholes, and that wouldn't look too out of place on a trad bike?
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    have you thought about upgrading the carbolite frame to something contemporary with the frame? i'm thinking a raleigh 531, or any one of a hundred or so artisan framebuilders around back in the day producing beautiful lightweight steel frames; holdsworth, gillot, tj quick, carlton, leach marathon, etc... you can get a 531 or even 531c frame for about £60-120 on ebay, there's a peugeot 531c on there right now.

this way you don't compromise the rich aesthetic of cycling that you are keen on, but also gain from a considerably lighter frame, probably as a much as a kg.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    have you thought about upgrading the carbolite frame to something contemporary with the frame? i'm thinking a raleigh 531, or any one of a hundred or so artisan framebuilders around back in the day producing beautiful lightweight steel frames; holdsworth, gillot, tj quick, carlton, leach marathon, etc... you can get a 531 or even 531c frame for about £60-120 on ebay, there's a peugeot 531c on there right now.

this way you don't compromise the rich aesthetic of cycling that you are keen on, but also gain from a considerably lighter frame, probably as a much as a kg.

My thoughts exactly.
  • peejay78
    oh - and i definitely counsel against getting a px-10, unless it's fully built and NOS.

the measurements on peugeots pre-1980 completely mitigate against swapping parts out without incredible degrees of faffing around.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    peejay78 wrote:

On that basis might as well just get a whole new vintage 531 bike and keep the Peugeot as a winter bike. The 531 is likely to have better components all over than the Peugeot so would be better bought complete allowing the Peugeot to carry on as a complete bike.

I got a Raleigh Record Ace off Ebay last year for £120. Wheels are poor replacements but otherwise it is pretty nice - the gears (Suntour Cyclone) are as nice as anything modern and very light too.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • peejay78 wrote:

Good idea, I have been looking out for something like that recently - Have you got a link for the peugeot 531c on eBay by any chance as I couldn't see it ? (I have the same problem losing my glasses!) Thanks
  • peejay78
    i tell a lie - it was only 531. the 531c was a sirius.

depends how tall you are, but it's here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52837935@N ... 872172887/
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-Triathlon ... 202wt_1137
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm 52 as well (for the next 4 weeks anyway) and returned to road cycling 2 years ago. My decision about what to ride was made simpler by the scrote who nicked my old 10sp Raleigh, and a reasonable annual bonus.

I have a Kinesis racelight TK. Light alloy frame / carbon forks but with mounts for mudguards and rack should I desire them. 105 triple groupset so I have light, reliable braking and shifting without taking my hands off the bars, and enough gears to keep my knackered old knees spinning up just about anything.

Anyway, good luck with Ebay. Just keep your wits about you, and walk away from anything that looks / feels slightly dodgy.
  • peejay78 wrote:

Many thanks, looks good, but may be a bit small as I am 6ft 2ins tall, though my legs are not that long for my overall height. What's the difference between Reynolds 531 and 531c?
  • PeeDee
    If you do decide to get some new wheels then build your own. Its not as hard as it looks and its a great feeling once they are done.

If you are patient and look around you can pick nice looking hubs and rims from cycle jumbles or off ebay, then get your bike shop to order you a set of spokes. As mentioned before,ready built off-the-peg wheels might not fit your old frame.
  • peejay78
    thinner, lighter variant.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    peejay78 wrote:

Just renovated a mates one of those. It is 531 main tubes only (gas pipe rear triangle) so not really a top line 531 but the bike came with light wheels and barely weighs more than another mates new Bianchi C2C. It is a lovely thing to ride.

Doubt that much will be compatible with the OPs older bike - everything on that frame seems pretty standard for the time to me.

@OP - picks of your bike please :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    I vote for the upgrade route - a useful learning experience, as well as being inexpensive vis a vis buying something new and unknown!

I restored and mildly upgraded my youngest son's Peugeot, primarily the wheels and an up to date rear mech and a cheap wireless computer with lights.

His comment on his first ride - 'It goes like a rocket'

pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41489547@N ... 335844080/
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • peejay78
    i switched stem, bars, seatpost, saddle and chainset on a raleigh 531. seemed to lighten the bike considerably.
  • This is all really good advice, and some inspiring examples, and I'm learning lots already!

I will look out for a better quality/lighter frame, or even a complete bike with Reynolds 531 steel frame, but in the meantime I think I will investigate putting some new lighter wheels on my bike, on the assumption that anything I buy now can always be transferred to a new frame/bike if I find one. I have already put on a new Shimano compact drive chain.

Don't think I've got the time to build my own wheels at the moment - supposed to be working on my business now as it is, but thinking about my bike is always more tempting somehow - so I will probably shop around for some, either new or secondhand, so that brings me back to my original question as to whether anyone has any pointers as there seems to be an awful lot of wheels out there with huge price differentials?

Thanks
  • peejay78
    you can get some very cheap bontrager/shimano wheelsets; often as a result of people buying a new bike, but discarding the factory wheelset in favour of whatever other hoops they have been riding.

mavic open pro are a terrific all-round wheelset.
    mavi aksiums are entry level, but very sturdy and effective.
    bontrager racelite can be a real bargain second hand.

i've used campag ventos - a great wheelset, sturdy and relatively light, mid-range, i now have campag neutron ultras, these are expensive and very very light. i have a set of open-pros on my audax bike, fantastic wheelset.
  • peejay78
    oh - and i forgot to mention - planet-x nearly always have some sort of ridiculously cheap and decent wheelset on their erotic webpage.

not the lightest, but good and cheap:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... c-wheelset
  • Porta105
    Porta105 Posts: 57
    What about this?

Old Skool looks, new skool go

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/30220/Genesis_Equilibrium_10_Bike_2010

I personally like this bike as much as my Bianchi (which is saying something!), I know it's the top of your original theoretical budget but bought through the Cycle to Work would work out about £650 and spread over 12 monthly payments.

Just a thought!
  • PeeDee
    Before you buy new wheels make sure they will fit your frame.

New wheels will be 130mm (distance between insides of drop-outs on frame). Your old Peugot frame may be 126mm, check by measuring across the outside of the locknuts on your old wheel.

A good bike shop can probably re-set the frame to 130mm for you.