sore neck

sirdjango
sirdjango Posts: 123
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
i usually get a sore neck if i ride more than 2 hours. is this because my body position is wrong. would changing to a shorter stem help? currently my stem is 100mm. should i change to 90mm?
ride like the wind... with the wind... to the wind...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Try relaxing your shoulders.
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Your shoes are too tight.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You could try flipping the stem first to raise it a little (assuming its in the 'low' position)...and loosen your shoes :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • johnnyL
    johnnyL Posts: 36
    I'd go with dmclite. First try relaxing your sholders, but make sure you hold them back. I found this makes a difference on longer rides.

Go for a bike fitting - I had a shorter stem installed after a bike fitting, because I have a shorter torso for the length of my legs. I found the shorter stem a lot more comfortable.

Also bear in mind that you may fit a shorter stem makes the steering a little more 'titchy'. I did, but got used to it very quickly.
    skinny as
  • PeeDee
    PeeDee Posts: 88
    Might sound unconnected, but are you eating and drinking enough on longer rides? Running low on blood sugar can give you a sore neck if your muscles are no longer supporting you spine properly. Does the sore neck usually coincide with a feeling of being very tired? 2 hours is about the amount of time it takes to run out of energy if you don't eat.
  • sirdjango
    sirdjango Posts: 123
    ok lads thanks for the replies... i will try each suggestions that has been posted...
    ride like the wind... with the wind... to the wind...