MacRide - Stratford-upon-Avon - 12 Sept 2010

robgul
robgul Posts: 1,651
edited September 2010 in Family & kids cycling forum
Lots of entries coming in for this great family event - looks like we'll have to limit on-the-day entries again this year - enter soon at http://www.macride.org.uk and enhance your summer riding experience with one of our event jerseys - all the money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support

Comments

• Was just about to sign up for this when my wife reminded me that we are doing the Birmingham Skyride on the same day.

Would loved to have done the family ride with the kids.

PS. The link is missing the k off .org.uk
  • robgul
    mrsossidge wrote:
    Was just about to sign up for this when my wife reminded me that we are doing the Birmingham Skyride on the same day.

Would loved to have done the family ride with the kids.

PS. The link is missing the k off .org.uk

Ah, thanks - I've fixed the link!

Yep - The Skyride is the same day but from what we've seen of the other Sky events they're pretty basic with limited genuine road closures - there is time to do both : ride the 25 mile MacRide in the morning and then go to Brum for the Skyride (you can even get the train from Stratford with un-restricted bike carriage and get straight on the course)

Rob
  • Thanks Rob, but the kids are only 8 and 7. I don't think their little legs would be up for doing both!
  • MYOB
    MYOB Posts: 7
    Rob

Do tell...

what's all this malarky on your website from the 1st September about road painting?
  • MYOB
    edited September 2010
    After a bit of research I have found out for myself.

Rob

Is it really true that you have gone complaining to the council about the markings on the road from the Great Shakespeare Ride? Is it true that you went out taking pictures of the road markings to back up your complaints? How very, very sad indeed that you would go to such lengths.

And as for you dedicating four paragraphs to the subject on your own charity's website, words evade me as to quite how pathetic this comes across!

Did you bother to speak to the organiser first, or did you choose to strike early in the knowledge that she has been on holiday since organising the event?

Did you check with the highways authority for each area to see what permissions had been granted for signage and markings, or enquire with the organiser about this and the advice of other agencies? I think everyone who did both the Macride/Shakey 100 last year and the GSR this year will agree that the latter won handsdown on signage, and I certainly don't recall seeing groups doing reciprocals to find the route in the most dangerous of places as I witnessed on the Macride last year.

Do you know what paint was used, how long it lasts etc. I noticed only yesterday that some of your signs are still adorning lamposts and signage from last year - did you complain to the council about your own signage at the same time?

It has been common knowledge that since you heard about the Great Shakespeare Ride your behaviour towards it has been none-too-friendly, but for heaven's sake man, there is plenty of room in the calendar and the area for two charity rides in the same period, in fact I wouldn't be suprised if the GSR has actually boosted interest in your event.

The upshot of your involvement, is that a good number of us who were doing the Macride have now pulled out, and fortunately most of us hadn't paid already - we can put our money to a Macmillan coffee morning instead (heaven forbid someone running a coffee morning in Stratford gets jealous of someone running a coffee morning in Wellesbourne eh!).

I really think that your jealousy has clouded your judgment on this issue. A reasonable response to a complaint from someone to you accusing you of spraying the road would be, "I am sorry, but those signs weren't done by us, they are probably from the GSR...you need to speak to...". Why you feel the need to get involved in putting someone elses house in order is beyond me, I would concentrate on your own because last year's Macride was a bit of a shambles IMHO.

And let's just clarify, before you go pointing the finger, I am not one of the organisers nor do I speak on their behalf...quite frankly they wouldn't approve because they are above your pettiness and I imagine would rather just pity you silently.

All the best with your event, I hope everyone stays safe and you raise shed loads for Macmillan...but you sir need to get over yourself because you have lost a lot of "friends" over this.
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    I have to agree with MYOB on pretty much everything he says!

If the Shakespeare Hospice did something wrong then they can answer for it, but getting involved when you clearly see yourself as a rival rather than another good cause/charity, is bad form.

Not your finest hour mate.

EDIT: At least the article has been removed from the Macride site now. A good move I think. An apology to the Shakespeare Hospice to follow?
  • Again, i have to agree with MYOB,
    The shakespeare hospice 100 was my first event of this kind. it was great the route was hard but great fun. the road marking told you of up and coming dangers and confurmed which way to go if you missed any of the signs for which there was a load!!
    i was talking to a group of my friends who did the shakespeare/mach 100 ride last year they did say how poor the sign's were and now poor the event was. but despite this i have entered the mach ride, but after reading the mach web site and the comments made by the organising have really left a bad taste in my month and if i hadn't trained and made plans to get to the area on sunday i would pull out and ask for my money back.
    i may still do ths unless you stand up and explane why you look to be hell bent on destroying the other event that runs from stratford.
    we are all cyclest can we not just enjoy riding any event???
  • There have been a number of complaints and threats of legal action regarding the spraying of roads for a cycle event in the north Cotswold area.
    The offending event was The Great Shakespeare Ride organised by Shakespeare Hospice (a small charity in Stratford-upon-Avon) and held on 22 August2010.
    To clarify our position :  Shakespeare 100 (12 September) signage will all be bright orange boards attached to road signs etc and will be removed by our team on the evening of the event and during the following day. We have notified the Clerks to Parish Councils in most of the areas that the rides pass through
    As cyclists we enjoy the countryside - defacing it, especially in well-kept villages, is simply unacceptable.

Just in case anyone missed his post on his website
  • FOAD
    "As cyclists we enjoy the countryside - defacing it, especially in well-kept villages, is simply unacceptable."

So you Rob have set the example...your stickers are still all over the bloody place!
  • robgul
    The recent posts in this thread were brought to my notice by a PM from FOAD late last night.
    The maiden post from MYOB asking a DIRECT question addressed to me by name in an INDIRECT medium, and then posting a response within hours is not within the spirit of debate on a forum or newsgroup.

Unfortunately, a number of key points in the follow-up post(s) are inaccurate and suggestions incorrect.

It would appear from another maiden post that there is orchestration, or a further agenda. More is to be lost than gained by a public slanging match, for all parties.

The original question addressed to me should have been sent directly to me, or at least waited for a response. I am more than happy to answer questions, and criticism, sent direct to me - in a balanced and adult manner from the OP and others ... I am not tied to my computer and will do my best to respond within 24-36 hours.

Finally, the 2009 Shakespeare 100 signage has been dragged into the thread. I am the first person to admit that it was poor - it had worked for the 4 previous MacRide events - it didn't work for the 100 event.

We published an apology on the website the same evening and sought feedback on the event. That feedback (from about 50 riders), with the obvious exception of the signs, was very positive (A respondent did ask why the roads weren't closed .. there's always one!).

The signage for the hospice ride, the road-painting aside, was pretty good :arrow: ... but I didn't like the hills,

Rob
  • FOAD
    Hi Rob

I appreciate you taking the time to formulate some sort of reply, however I must say that what you have written has incensed me further.

You complain that you have been asked a direct question addressed to you in an indirect medium, that the questions should have been sent directly to you and time allowed for a response.

The way I see it, as the OP and someone who has clearly responded to every other Macride post/question on these forums (you are subscribed to your own threads aren't you?), his questions were in fact very direct, as he, as did I when I read them, clearly expected you to reply.

He may have further expected a quick reply from you, as I did, when the article was removed almost immediately after MYOB's post from your site (you are the site admin are you not?) thus suggesting that you had read his post.

Where does putting the article on the Macride website fit in with your philosophy on the above? Did you make the organiser aware of your posting the article on the site, which to my interpretation publicly alleges criminal activity on the part of The Shakespeare Hospice and those who did the sigining?

I think MYOB was totally justified in asking the questions publicly, as you chose to write publicly on your site material that is legally very questionable.

I quite agree that more is to be lost than gained by a public slanging match - given the naivety of your article appearing on the Macride website I do not see how you could expect anything less - however from what I have seen thus far on this thread, the only "slanging" levelled towards you was a statement from MYOB branding the Macride of 2009 a shambles. The thing with forums, is they are there for opinions, popular or otherwise - however I guess in the circumstances he/she would have been better refraining from expressing that particular one.

I wouldn't quite class MYOB's "slanging" in quite the same class as publicly publishing something that to some gave inference of allegations of criminal conduct! He did however ask a number of pertinent questions of you which you have chosen to refrain from answering (in what seemed to be and adult manner - it's difficult to be balanced when asking questions) . I would more than welcome your response by PM if the answers are not publicly printable.

You mention that a number of key points in the follow up posts are inaccurate and the suggestions incorrect. Again, I would welcome comment by whatever means you deem appropriate on these.

I would of course like to see these answered publicly, as you chose "public" in the first place.

Regards
  • Iv been watching conversation grow and grow and i have to say i agree with MYOB and spanner boy (wierd name) but Rob, you have littered your site with rubbish about the GSR and you try and justify your action by saying ...

The signage for the hospice ride, the road-painting aside, was pretty good ... but I didn't like the hills,

your prob the only one who moaned about the signs!

YOU DONT LIKE HILLS ... THAT HAS SQUIT ALL TO DO WITH SIGNS!! (HTFU)

I have done many british heart foundation rides 50 miles mainly and they manage to make mistake with sign posting got lost 3 times!! yet i did the 100 miles on the GSR got lost once because i wasnt paying attention within seconds i had realised by the friendly steward telling me its back up the road.. I dont rember any service like that on the mac ride which has been running for years.. The organisers did a great job on the GSR First year round and they made no mistakes on route planning quiet the opposite for the mac ride last year..

I HAVE TO CLARIFY I THINK ITS GREAT THAT THE MAC RIDE IS RAISING MONEY FOR A GREAT CAUSE BUT I DONT THINK ITS SPORTSMAN LIKE TO SLATE ANOTHER CHARITY EVENT. without contacting them with your views first.

Finally, just a reminder !! remember to remove your signs this year As cyclists we enjoy the countryside - defacing it, especially in well-kept villages, is simply unacceptable
  • MYOB
    Well Rob it's been pretty much two days and I haven't received a reply to what seem to be pretty pertinent questions. It seems unlike you to be so quiet, as most Macride questions have received a response pretty quickly.

The conclusion I would draw is that given your silence and the rapid withdrawal of your article on the Macride site, you realise that your conduct is indefensible and you are now very much ashamed of yourself.

Whilst I gather an apology or explanation won't be forthcoming to those who have posted here, I am certain that you will man-up and do the decent thing and apologise to the organiser herself and the Skakespeare Hospice.

I hope your event tomorrow is a succesful one, and that in future you refrain from sinking quite so low!

Good luck!!!