Cav's green dream

Team Banana Spokesman
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Can you experts pls tell me how many points are available on Sunday?

I am just trying to work out where Hushovd anfd Petacchi would have to come in the sprint if Cav would win and get the green?

ATM:

213 - Alessandro Petacchi
203 - Thor Hushovd
197 - Mark Cavendish

Comments

• domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    35 points for the winner
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Cycling weekly has worked out the scenarios

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ersey.html
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Quotes from the contenders:

Petacchi: "It'll be a real fight in the intermediate sprints and in the final sprint on Sunday but if I lose this green jersey, I'll lose with honour."

Hushovd: “It's finished for the green jersey; it's over. I lost too many places today. I didn't do a good sprint. It was very hard today with the headwind. I want to do a good sprint on the Champs Elysées. If I can do that I'll leave the Tour happy with my performance,”

Cavendish: "I’m going to try to win on the Champs Elysées whatever happens. That’s all I can do.”
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I think Cavendish has to win and the Italian come worse than 5th on Sunday.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I wonder what will happen if Cav ends up second for the points competition, by Ale-Jet gets done for doping (as he's under investigation). Probably nothing as I suspect it won't affect the current race...
  • Pokerface

Assuming that neither of them collect any intermediate points
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:
    I wonder what will happen if Cav ends up second for the points competition, by Ale-Jet gets done for doping (as he's under investigation). Probably nothing as I suspect it won't affect the current race...

The doping accusations don't relate to this Tour, so it wouldn't effect it.

Plus Petacchi's advantage over Cav comes from staying upright on stage 1.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pokerface wrote:

Assuming that neither of them collect any intermediate points

Interesting point. Can't see either of them going for them though. Both will want the powder dry for the finish and there will likely be a breakaway mopping them up
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Whatever else, today was a disaster for Hushovd. Seemed like a dozen riders came past him in the last 50 metres.
  • Pokerface
    Whatever else, today was a disaster for Hushovd. Seemed like a dozen riders came past him in the last 50 metres.

Baker's dozen to be exact. 8)
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    I expect cav & alejet to put teammates in to collect int points to stop the other getting them. Ale just needs to ride cav's wheel and stay within 4 places of him.
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    cav's issue comes from sitting up on stage 2... the intermediate sprints could be very interesting if he goes for them, but I suspect that he won't, his tactic all along has been to get stage wins. remember also that he was debating whether to start the bordeaux stage so to change tactics on the last day would be a real turn up for the books, Bob Stapleton isn't one for changing horses midstream
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    Cav needs his team at the barrier pinch point (after he has scooted clear) :wink:
    Powered by Haribo.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    FCE2007 wrote:
    Cav needs his team at the barrier pinch point (after he has scooted clear) :wink:

They could call in the merest form of favour owed to them by Julian Dean for doing the same trick as he did last year and slowing Ale Jet right down
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

yes, because when you get done for doping, it's only the actual race you doped for that is counted in your punishment. like Valverde, whose doping accusations were years old and soultimately had no impact on his 2010 results. er...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

yes, because when you get done for doping, it's only the actual race you doped for that is counted in your punishment. like Valverde, whose doping accusations were years old and soultimately had no impact on his 2010 results. er...

He kept all his results from 2006-2009, didn't he?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

It's 7th, isn't it?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    there was another stage when Cav was coming in with a group for 20th place and he didn't even bother to sprint. if he hd those points as wel and add in the not sitting up he would have more of a chance.

Think Cav or Patecchi deserve it as they are the ones who are vying for stage wins.
  • RichN95.
    sherer wrote:
    there was another stage when Cav was coming in with a group for 20th place and he didn't even bother to sprint. if he hd those points as wel and add in the not sitting up he would have more of a chance.

That was the cobbles where he got one point. He said they didn't realise that group was a far up in the stage. Given that Petacchi was right behind him in the same group and didn't sprint either, I don't think Cav lost anything really.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

That was the cobbles where he got one point. He said they didn't realise that group was a far up in the stage. Given that Petacchi was right behind him in the same group and didn't sprint either, I don't think Cav lost anything really.

You could say he gained a point over his closest rival ;)

Much like the Yellow Jersey, the Green will go to the guy who has worked to get as many points as possible. If Cav loses out it won't be because he fell in Stage 1, or that he came 12th in Stage 4, it will be added up over the course of the race.
  • ill take the 'guy who has worked to get as many points as possible' with a pinch of salt if petacchi wins considering he is under investigation for doping in italy and meeting an judge next week over the allegations. his team should have pulled him

lets hope cav or hushovd wins
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

You could say he gained a point over his closest rival ;)

Much like the Yellow Jersey, the Green will go to the guy who has worked to get as many points as possible. If Cav loses out it won't be because he fell in Stage 1, or that he came 12th in Stage 4, it will be added up over the course of the race.

Surely it was exactly that as I believe Cav picked up more points on every other stage where either of them scored? For the record I'm still not sure he sat up on Stage 4, it still looks to me like his legs went and he just couldn't pedal.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    seen that one a few times and looks like he sat up to me. Think about 4 riders went passed him so not sure if that would have been enough anyway.

Good effort from Cav and another learning year