Tyre width limit SKS P45 & tyres for Pakistan/India

blorg
blorg Posts: 1,169
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
I have SKS Chromoplastic P45s on my tourer right now. This mudguard is rated for 700x28-37c. I have used them with Conti Sport Contact in 700x37c and have Schwalbe Marathon Racers on right now in 700x35c. Lots of space there.

I am looking now at the Schwalbe Marathon Extreme- this would be for riding in Pakistan/northern India. On road insofar as that is possible. I am wondering if pushing the limit to get the 700x40C or whether I should just stick to the 700x35C. Schwalbe has bigger numbers in the ISO sizings and I am wondering if this suggests they are wide to start with:

ETRTO 37-622 (28x1.40) is equal to 700 x 35C
ETRTO 42-622 (28x1.60) is equal to 700 x 40C

Opinions on whether this is a good sort of tyre for roads in Pakistan/India would also be appreciated.

Comments

• satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Unless you are planning on going to South Asia during the monsoon (why?), then there is usually no need for mudguards; they are just extra weight and are likely to be damaged either in transit or once there. If you cycle over high passes during the spring thaw you *will* get wet. I suppose guards might reduce this a bit, but I'd leave them at home, or improvise frame/rack mounted guards from mineral water bottles and zip ties once there.

As for what tyres to take, road surfaces will vary considerably. You will rarely if ever find smooth, sealed surfaces, and will have to deal with patches and potholes, rough shoulders, dirt, gravel, washaways, landslides, creek and river crossings, maybe snowmelt, etc. In northern parts of Ladakh there are many nasty thorns (I collected at least 7 in one hit just south of Leh, and more in the Nubra Valley - recommended BTW) so something like a Marathon XR (now obsolete) or Extreme is sensible, and will help with traction on poor surfaces too. I would definitely go for the 700x40 Extreme, not narrower, or preferably 26".

Note that you *will not* be able to find 700C tubes in India!!! You may be able to fit local 26 x 1 3/8 or 28 x 1 3/8 tubes but these will invariably have Woods valves, NOT Schraeder or Presta, so you will need to take plenty of spares and/or have Schraeder drilled rims to use the local tubes. Take lots of patches as the local ones don't have thin edges like Remas and so don't stick as well. You should also take a Woods-valve compatible pump (or adapter) and some easy-pump valves - the latter are not available in India, and the local valves take lots of extra effort to inflate.

Tubus or other steel racks are also recommended - do not take Blackburn alu front racks as these will break.

The basic principle is that whatever you take to India and Pakistan should be durable and easy to repair. I'd also be careful about where to go in Pakistan, but provided you can avoid the problem areas (which sounds as if it's getting increasingly difficult) it's a great place to travel in - or was in 2000 when we rode up the KKH from Islamabad to Kashgar and elsewhere. Swat and Peshawar were safe then too... :cry:
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Thanks for the reply. I am keen on my mudguards to be honest, also have to get there first which involves cycling across Turkey and Iran. If they drive me mad I can always throw them away but I doubt it. I was certainly happy to have them during thunderstorms in Bulgaria and Turkey. I've gone for 700x35C Marathon Duremes which seem quite smooth in the middle but a bit a tread. I am bringing these as spares and plan to put them on around the Pakistani border. Marathon Racers in 700x35c on the bike right now. I have off-roaded on 700x35c standard Marathons before; I'd prefer 40s but I guess I'll survive.

If I was starting with no bike I would certainly go 26 but 700 is what I have so I'll have to manage with that... will bring three or four spare tubes and plenty of patches. My rear rim (Mavic A719) will take Schrader but my front one (Open Pro) won't. Rear is I guess more likely to puncture. I won't get to Pakistan until October but will have to keep an eye on the situation. Initial plan was to cycle up the Indus but that may not be viable. Will probably bus through Balochistan although may fly from Iran depending on the situation.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    We met a Dutch couple in Islamabad in 2000 who were on their way home after riding from Amsterdam to Kathmandu. They were on 700x37 Marathon XRs and seemed to have had no problems with them, including on the rough stuff north of the Chinese border. I cannot emphasise too much how few decent spares are available in India, and things were similar in Pakistan in 2000 - haven't been there since. The parts situation is much better in Kathmandu, although decent tyres are still hard to find and are probably unavailable even there in 700C.

The Indus was safe in 2000 too, although the 24 hour gun shops in Besham didn't exactly inspire confidence. Seems weird that one can buy bullets in the middle of the night but not food, etc. IMO, the best riding on the KKH is from Gilgit north, so I wouldn't fret too much about busing it up to there - that's what I'd do if I went back, even if things were stable.

Have fun! FWIW, everyone we met who'd been to Iran loved the place.