Building a bike

richf
richf Posts: 104
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
I have been having trouble with my bike being the wrong size, I have got a very good component set up and cant justify buying a new bike so whaty I have decided to do is get another frame and swap over my compnenets.

My questions is can soemone who doesn't really know anything about bikes build one! I know how to adjust the basics etc but have never built a bike before. In know there is guides on here and park tools but should I attempt this or get my LBS to do it? They have quoted £100 plus disc brakes so looking at about £300 based on deore discs @ £100 each that he has in stock. (Wiggle have got cheaper brakes i know but was basing things on his prices)

Cheers
Rich

Comments

• £200 for deore disk brakes?

I hope he was gentle.

They're £50 per end on CRC.
  • richf
    £200 for deore disk brakes?

I hope he was gentle.

They're £50 per end on CRC.

Oh!! Wiggle have them @ £83 Probably going to get juicy 3.5's though and get him to fit them.
  • I'd rather the deores myself!

Brakes are easy to fit as long as you have allen keys.

What frame do you have and what frame are you getting?

Some parts such as seatpost, front mech headset, forks etc etc etc may not fit for various reasons.

Make sure you research properly!
  • richf

Some parts such as seatpost, front mech headset, forks etc etc etc may not fit for various reasons.

Make sure you research properly!

Hmmm I have just found that out! Have a Cannondale at present and was going to get either a Rockhopper frame or possibly a commencal combi deluxe frame.

Am thinkimg I may have problems!! Maybe I should just buy a new bike!!
  • Building a bike isn't too difficult. So long as you're comfortable with a set of tools - not everyone is.

And do make sure you have all the right tools. It'll make life a lot easier, and components will less likely get damaged in a moment of impatience!

You may still have to take the frame to the LBS for facing if you're fitting an external BB, but everything else is a doddle. The hardest thing I find, is setting up the gears, but you can also pop it along to the LBS for those if you're not happy with them and they won't charge much.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    i got the bike shop to fit the bottom bracket and the headset but everything else is easy with a torque wrench, basic tools and a bit of reading. Only cost about £20 for the bikeshop to face and fit as they charged by time taken rather than a set price per job. Highest estimate i got for it was £60 though.
  • snapper52
    snapper52 Posts: 34
    I started mountain biking less than 2 years ago when I bought a Giant Rainier. After 8 months I bought a Marin Mount Vision frame and using some new and some 2nd hand components, built my own full susser using various guides on the internet, and friends for advice. The LBS were extremely helpful as well, even lending me a BB tool overnight so I could fit a new hollowtech chainset which I had bought on the internet.

Any problems, people on this forum are very helpful. The trick is don't rush it and be sure components such as seatpost, and front mech are going to fit the frame (tube diameters vary quite a bit from frame to frame). Technically it's not difficult if you take your time, and I got great satisfaction from knowing I had done it myself (not to mention saving quite a few bucks).
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    The fun part comes on your first ride when you find out what you forgot to tighten up.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • richf
    Thanks for all your reply's guys but the frame I got was completely different to what I have so alot of parts didn't fit so i am selling the lot to buy a new bike!

Cheers
    Rich