Spoke tension

Aguila
Aguila Posts: 622
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I have some dura-ace 7850 wheels that have been on the best bike for about a year. The tension in the spokes is far from uniform, there are a few on the rear that are really not tight at all.

That said the wheel appears to be completely true. I really do not want to start tightening any as I assume this will just put the rim out of true and ruin them. At the same time I'm a little unhappy with the slackness in a couple of them.

Thoughts?

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    If you have a couple that are really slack there is no harm in nipping them up slightly, it will not change the trueness of the wheel. I done this to my rear wheel only last night.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    If you have a couple that are really slack there is no harm in nipping them up slightly, it will not change the trueness of the wheel. I done this to my rear wheel only last night.
    Not only is there no harm doing so it is likely to prevent the wheels going out of true. Eventually loose spokes will lead to a deformed rim in my experience.

Mike
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Just a word of caution. If you don't know for SURE what you're doing, then take it someone who does. I'm in a bit of disagreement with the boys who say "go ahead-
    tighten them up - no problem". Do it right or get it done right.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    dennisn wrote:
    Just a word of caution. If you don't know for SURE what you're doing, then take it someone who does. I'm in a bit of disagreement with the boys who say "go ahead-
    tighten them up - no problem". Do it right or get it done right.
    Agreed. I was just assuming the OP knew what they were doing.

Mike
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Fair point. For a decent pair of wheels, it's worth spending a few quid at the LBS to get them trued/tensioned properly. They'll have all the gear and if they screw it up, you'll have some recourse. Screw it up yourself and you'll be down the LBS anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Yes will go to lbs I think, trouble is we're not well blessed with decent shops round here.

Still, a £500 set of wheels is probably not the place to learn the ropes. :)