South Downs...shutting trails

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Living in Mid Sussex, my local spin is across the South Downs near to Ditchling Beacon and surrounding area. Since the place gained National Park Status, I've noticed things have started to deteriorate a little.

Descents - including the bridleway up the side of the beacon - lots of gates added. Used to be a great way down..through the trees, over a rooty section and a couple of little drops at the bottom

So - head across to Hassocks....the descent locally known as "the Tank Tracks" - another favourite. Suddenly there is a sign on the gate saying No Mountainbikers - fines of upto £20k if caught. WTF!?

I really hope that this is just a blip and not indicative of obtaining national park status :(

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    You'll need to find out what if any right of way the tank traps has. if there is no bridleway etc then your going to need to change their minds, same with gates on the bridle way.
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    I was hoping that the national park status might improve investment in the area, improving what mountain biking there is. It just seems like they only support walkers though. Really annoying.