Is it me, or are there more nuts on the tour this year?

Gotte
Gotte Posts: 494
edited July 2010 in Pro race
I'm thinking of the costume wearers. I know that they've been there before, but I seem to remember that mostly it was just fans running along side the riders at the mountain stages. This year it seem like it's costumes, costumes, costumes. I hope it's not going to turn into Last night at the Proms.

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    tube_img.jpg
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Gotte wrote:
    I hope it's not going to turn into Last night at the Proms.

It can't. Bradleee hasn't won it this year.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited July 2010
    Gotte wrote:
    I'm thinking of the costume wearers. I know that they've been there before, but I seem to remember that mostly it was just fans running along side the riders at the mountain stages. This year it seem like it's costumes, costumes, costumes. I hope it's not going to turn into Last night at the Proms.
    They do anything to be on TV and Feck the riders getting in their way.
    The idiot German Devil got it going and now the slobs know the camera might just point their way.

Light/thin oil = Low Viscosity
    Thick oil = High Viscosity
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    There's certainly a lot more nuts on the forum!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pokerface wrote:
    There's certainly a lot more nuts on the forum!
    From Bastogne then.
    sorry I'll leave the room.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    thats deep , would the quote concern the trapped americans at the battle of the bulge :lol:
  • Gotte
    Did you see the four or five Borats? Best as I remember it, there used only to be one. And the yellow masked Tour figures, and was there a green one? And the guys in what looked like pantomime local dress with massive berets? And the bare arsed guy? At first I chuckled, but then I started to get that itchy, uncomfortable Children in Need feeling. You know, the "Well, isn't everything just so...light entertainment?" Call me a misanthrope, but they all looked like David Brent to me. If I was French TV, I'd send le riot flic in.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Was that a yellow "LeTour" gimp suit someone was wearing at 2kms to go? Amazing. Must check out eBay sometime....
  • Gotte
    brakelever wrote:
    thats deep , would the quote concern the trapped americans at the battle of the bulge :lol:

Ahhh, I get it.
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Those Basques are a pain getting right in the faces of the riders with their flags.
    Noticed a lot more British flags out there this year, Union Jacks and Welsh dragons on every stage, must be the SKY effect.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2010
    All this fancy dress stuff is still quite low level compared to your average England cricket match (especially against the Aussies) - everyone's at it there.

Personally, I didn't see any fancy-dressers get too close to the riders, so they're OK by me. All part of the show and the colour. It's the flags and the screaming, possibly drunk, runners that are more of a problem. And vuvuzelas are hopefully just a fad.

I think the nuts were more obvious today, with the road being quite narrow, meaning the barriers couldn't go 3km down the mountain.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Gotte wrote:

I recall during last years Tour Of California a few posters in here commented on those daft yanks turning up to a race with their costumes on etc that kind of thing would not happen on mainland Europe etc etc.................i think the knobends on show this last week have disproved that theory.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Really? I thought there were fewer than in some past years.
  • That was crazy seeing that happen, it can't be good for the guys dueling to be tops.

But in another moment of today's, Thursday's stage, did it not look like Contador conversed, even if very briefly, with a fan out there? I think so.
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    The needless crack-flashing and the village idiot at the bottom of Ventoux, drooling as he stops dead in the path of a line of riders. Does my T*ts in.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Mankinis are never justifyable :evil:

Not ironic.

Not post-modern.

Not funny.

Not

ever

never

ever
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    daviesee wrote:

Not ironic.

Not post-modern.

Not funny.

Not

ever

never

ever

Too right. Yech. But I don't think worse than before- anyone remember the stage in the Pyrenees that Millar won against Delgado? (Superbagneres 1989) Poor old PD had his countrymen repeatedly screaming encouragement right in his face from about 6" away and looked thoroughly pissed off with it.

http://www.yolike.com/video/bollywood/s ... neres.html
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    I blame the likes of Big Brother (or possibly The Word before that), everyone just wants to be on TV these days so sporting events are full of idiots there to be seen rather than to watch. It gets on my nerves when I go to rugby internationals these days and there's always groups of munters in fancy dress who spend the whole time either looking for the cameras, pushing past to go to the bar or pushing past to go to the toilet.
  • Gotte
    Deegs wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Not ironic.

Not post-modern.

Not funny.

Not

ever

never

ever

Too right. Yech. But I don't think worse than before- anyone remember the stage in the Pyrenees that Millar won against Delgado? (Superbagneres 1989) Poor old PD had his countrymen repeatedly screaming encouragement right in his face from about 6" away and looked thoroughly pissed off with it.

http://www.yolike.com/video/bollywood/s ... neres.html

Thanks for the clip. Great to see it. And you know, not a single stupid costume (unless you class the shellsuits and 80s hip cup shorts). I really do hope it doesn't turn into It's a Knockout. Like the previous poster says, it's all about getting on TV. c'est diabolique (or however you say it).
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    I thought it looked like a couple of them spat at Contador??
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    He was having a good few words with one spectator. No telling what that was about.

Attention whores can't have been as prevalent as this during decades gone by. I don't even mind the people who run alongside and show genuine encouragement to the riders, but there are so many that overstep the mark. They have no respect for the unwritten rules for the side of the road.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Le Tour needs to start taking tips from il Giro:

pic112552734_600.jpg
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    afx237vi wrote:
    Le Tour needs to start taking tips from il Giro:

pic112552734_600.jpg

I think the security is for the safety of the tifosi in that shot. :wink: