Is it ok to hang your bike from the seat?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2010 in MTB general
titles says most.
is it ok to hang like they do in this picture but for a mountain bike? Im assuming its find considering you put all of your weight on it and more when riding, but please tell me if it is ok.
I was thinking of storing my bike like this when im not using it, just to free some space in my workshop.
btw it would be hanging my ceiling so just incase your wondering the front wheel wouldnt be touching the ground.
biketransition.jpg

Comments

• The average MTB may weigh somewhere from 20 to 35 pounds?

Yet adults weighing from say, 112 pounds up to 300 pounds and beyond, are able to sit on these saddles and seatposts and ride on off road terrain without them snapping.

I know one is pressure applied from below versus from above, but does that in some way answer the question?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Its fine as long as you don't swing on it.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • its fine... loads of uplifts in germany carry the bikes dangling from the seat... and these are big DH bikes too!
  • yt_
    yt_ Posts: 20
    Yeah my dad's got a beam in the garage what he uses to winch engines out of cars and bikes and we have several bikes all hanging from it by the seats and also a safety rope around the top tube because they aren't all that safe just on the seat.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hope so

IMG_0638-1.jpg

P1000816.jpg

It's a long way down :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hoopz
    Hoopz Posts: 4
    :D

That reminds me of the first time I put my bike on a ski lift. I didn't have proper insurance and was bricking it in case it went for a burton. :shock:

I bought insurance the moment we got off the slopes via an internet cafe. :oops:
  • whats a burton?
  • Hoopz
    Hoopz Posts: 4
    whats a burton?

To take a drop/fall or go missing.