Alfine 8 speed internal hub - Genesis Day One

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Have just found out that Genesis are bringing out a Day One road bike with an Alfine 8 speed hub for 2011...I got quite excited about this as it could fit my needs perfectly!

Does anyone know what the 8 speeds equate to on a regular bike? I run a 39/53 up front and a 12-26 on the rear at the moment, and when I'm commuting fully loaded I utilise all but the 53/12 every day. Roughly, does anyone know where the Alfine would fit in this range?

2 other questions regarding the gearing, can you change the front ring to raise or lower the range, and what sort of chain does it use, is it 'Alfine' specific?

Any ideas?

http://road.cc/content/news/20605-genes ... es-icebike

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    The chain looks like the same one on my single speed Day one.

It's a shrewd bit of bike speccing that and will be very popular.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Looks like a nice bike and I am not at all surprised to see the drop bar/alfine combo going into more mainstream production, but if it is priced at just under a grand I suspect the Sidways Cycles version of the Cotic Road Rat is a better specced bike.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Have just found out that Genesis are bringing out a Day One road bike with an Alfine 8 speed hub for 2011...I got quite excited about this as it could fit my needs perfectly!

Does anyone know what the 8 speeds equate to on a regular bike? I run a 39/53 up front and a 12-26 on the rear at the moment, and when I'm commuting fully loaded I utilise all but the 53/12 every day. Roughly, does anyone know where the Alfine would fit in this range?

2 other questions regarding the gearing, can you change the front ring to raise or lower the range, and what sort of chain does it use, is it 'Alfine' specific?

Any ideas?

http://road.cc/content/news/20605-genes ... es-icebike

you'll be fine with an alfine 8 the only blip is the jump from 4 to 5 is more noticable than with a derailleur range.

as far as I know its a straight up singelespeed chain

I've not tried changing the fromt ring but theres been mention of it in a couple of earlier threads on here.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Think I need to find a bike with the Alfine and give it a try. Thanks for the feedback so far.
  • martylaa
    martylaa Posts: 147
    i would of being tempted with the alfina gearing but it does make the back end heavy, maybe next year when they have 11 geras i will look at them again, its a bit hilly where i am and i want ot make sure i have enough to get up and down some of the hills