the best all round tyre???

mr joey
mr joey Posts: 427
edited July 2010 in MTB general
hi all,i know this question gets asked loads,but what is a great do it all tyre?having gone from a patriot 66 which tyre"s didnt really matter at the time,to an orange crush as im gonna be more prone to flats but want a fast rolling one but one i can have comfidence in ???

Comments

• spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Apart from Gods Wondertyre all condition, it's all down to personal preference. You'll probably be told

Scwalbe Racing Ralph or Nobby Nic
    Kenda Nevegal
    Something by Maxxis
    Specialized Sauserwinds or Captains

Personally I like Sauserwinds, but if money allowed I'd like to try the new Nobby Nic double defence.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • mr joey
    probaly spongtastic,running kenda nevegals at the mo 2.3s but just feel abit sluggish,theres just so many to choose from :roll:
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    It also depends on which version of a tyre youve got. Proper folding dtc Nevs are nothing like wire oem versions
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • mr joey
    i take it folding are way better?? also more expensive??
  • hbrashaw
    hbrashaw Posts: 286
    slighlty more expensibe, usually only £2 more or so.

and maxxis minion dhf single ply folding 2.35 60a front/maxxis advantage folding 2.25 exception rear
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    mr joey wrote:
    probaly spongtastic,running kenda nevegals at the mo 2.3s but just feel abit sluggish,theres just so many to choose from :roll:

The 2.1s are the better allrounder, 2.35s are definately a bit "harder hitting". Love them but not great XC tyres. Especially the stick-e compound.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Round rubbery type ones
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    cooldad wrote:
    Round rubbery type ones

+1

and better stick with black

:)

Dave
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i like specialized tyres the bestest. i run eskars on the bigger bike and i wish they did a slimmer version for me to run on my stumpys, proper ace tyres, light, fast, grippy, tubeless ready and cheap.
  • lee170
    lee170 Posts: 236
    Schwalbe nobby nic evos, They are awesome A bit pricey at £42 a tyre though. I have them on my hardtail and they are awesome, rapid rolling and very grippy
    2015 orange crush
    2015 cannondale super six evo
  • n.battison
    n.battison Posts: 57
    Nobby Nic has my vote
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nic is very good, but expensive and not very good at mud IMO which is a bit of a killer. Mine didn't last very long, I sold them as soon as I found out I couldn't ride through the sloppy sections of trail that I would just plough through with nevegals. Of course that comes with a speed penalty but that's worth it. NN I see as a summer tyre only, but that means it has to try and compete with the dedicated summer tyres, which it can't on their turf.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    lee170 wrote:
    Schwalbe nobby nic evos, They are awesome A bit pricey at £42 a tyre though. I have them on my hardtail and they are awesome, rapid rolling and very grippy

Somebody saw you coming if you paid £42 for Nobby Nics as they can be had for £53.46 for a pair at Ribble Cycles.

They are a great all rounder though, but you need to have a range of tyres to get the best out of a bike with different conditions.

ie wet rocky conditions, Minions, lots of mud, Trailrackers.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    robertpb wrote:
    lee170 wrote:

Somebody saw you coming if you paid £42 for Nobby Nics as they can be had for £53.46 for a pair at Ribble Cycles.

The 2010 evo's? the 2009 version can still be had, alot cheaper than the new revised 2010 evo's.
  • ade73
    ade73 Posts: 70
    hi guys
    i,m currently building a cannondale jekyll and i have been looking at the shwalbe hardliner tyres look good for £25 for the pair