sampurnell Posts: 126
edited July 2010 in Amateur race
hi Guys,
whats a TLI race? :oops:
x

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    TLI is an organisation which promotes bike racing, a bit like BC but with less admin/costs. Tend to be handicapped - setting off in ability/age based groups, slow ones first, fast group last - with the idea that all groups come together to contest the finish.

Google TLI - if you want to start road racing, it is your best/cheapest option as a beginner.

Tends to be regional - plenty of races in certain areas. Like Yorkshire/North Mids.
  • sampurnell
    cheers mate.
    sounds good. :!:
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Sam

I've never done any BCF races, but I've started racing TLI this year. It's a good hard work out and, as posted above, you can choose a group to go off in to suit you own ability.

£16 a year to join, about £6-7 a race.

Don't be kidded into thinking it's easy racing. First 2 races I went off in group 3 and got dropped. Last race I went off in group 2 and finished with the bunch, averaging 24.3 mph over 35 miles.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    www.theleagueinternational.com

The races ARE easier than BC races (I've never finished a BC race with the bunch, but have sprinted for spots in TLI races) - nevertheless - they are great fun. And some ARE quite hard, especially the hilly ones!

You don't need a TLI membership for all races. Some of the race series they put on require it, but individual races have member and non-member prices.

Definitely worth a look if you want to get into racing.
  • sampurnell
    cheers all
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,145
    Wish they were active in my area, their setup seems to be a good stepping stone to people starting or returning to races. Also looking forward to 3 years time to get some LVRC racing in.
  • sheffsimon
    Pross wrote:
    Wish they were active in my area, their setup seems to be a good stepping stone to people starting or returning to races. Also looking forward to 3 years time to get some LVRC racing in.

Looking forward to being 40. :shock:

Just qualified myself this year. :(

Am planning on joining LVRC and riding some LVRC events myself next year, and expecting them to be full of knarly old b**tards dishing out pain.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Looking forward to being 40. :shock:

Just qualified myself this year. :(

Am planning on joining LVRC and riding some LVRC events myself next year, and expecting them to be full of knarly old b**tards dishing out pain.

Get yourself a Dura Ace Zimmer Frame :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've only ridden LVRC this year - haven't bothered with a BC licence - really enjoyed them.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • sheffsimon
    I've only ridden LVRC this year - haven't bothered with a BC licence - really enjoyed them.

Whats the format of them Tom, handicapped? massed start?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,145
    My understanding is they're run in groups based on age. I've also heard they are hard but not so jumpy as lower cat BC races. In the recent Welsh Champs 4 of the top 6 were vets so not expecting an easy time - just look at the Tour the other day, two 38 year olds and a 39 year old in a break that lasted all day or Malcolm Elliot still dishing out pain in the circuit series and nearing 50, you used to be over the hill as a vet :shock:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes massed start - As and Bs (40-50) normally have a race which sets off 5 minutes before the older categories - think it depends on how many entries they get in each category though as I did one that had 40-55 together and then an over 55s race. They may split the over 50s into two races but I don't think they do.

Just like a BC race really except the bunches tend to be a little bit smaller and the riding a bit more predictable. No points on offer of course but they normally list the top 10 or so finishers - the official results seem to be top 3 in each 5 year age band.

As for the standard - I haven't done any BC races for a couple of years but probably the same as a 3/4 race but with the smaller bunch and more predictable riding they suit the more risk averse rider - national series races will probably be a bit harder.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • sheffsimon
    Yes massed start - As and Bs (40-50) normally have a race which sets off 5 minutes before the older categories - think it depends on how many entries they get in each category though as I did one that had 40-55 together and then an over 55s race. They may split the over 50s into two races but I don't think they do.

Just like a BC race really except the bunches tend to be a little bit smaller and the riding a bit more predictable. No points on offer of course but they normally list the top 10 or so finishers - the official results seem to be top 3 in each 5 year age band.

As for the standard - I haven't done any BC races for a couple of years but probably the same as a 3/4 race but with the smaller bunch and more predictable riding they suit the more risk averse rider - national series races will probably be a bit harder.

Thanks for info mate, I imagine I will be riding a few next year.