What mistakes have you made that others can learn from?

Axleuk
Axleuk Posts: 81
edited July 2010 in MTB general
I doubt there is anyone reading this that has not made mistake on the trails.

Maybe you didn't pull over to let someone faster and more experienced than yourself past. Perhaps you let your ego decide that you 'could' take that jump and land it like a seasoned veteran only to find yourself face down in a ditch.

Whatever the circumstances there is always something to learn from the misfortunes of others.

Speak up. Help those of us that have yet to cross over into the realms of the 'experienced' and share your nuggets of wisdom.

Comments

• pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    When you're the wrong side of 40, you shouldn't try and keep up with your 17 yr old Son. :lol:
  • Axleuk
    pte1643 wrote:
    When you're the wrong side of 40, you shouldn't try and keep up with your 17 yr old Son. :lol:

I disagree :) - OK, i'll admit to being on the 'right' side of 40. You know what they say " Once your over-the-hill you tend to go faster"
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    Axleuk wrote:
    I disagree :)

Well, to a point.

I find that I tend to be a bit more adventurous "Technically", but he can pedal all bluddy day long. :lol:
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    Reporting my break-in to the police, should've kept quiet and found the buggers myself. Police did bugger all and issued a verbal warning to the scrotes.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Never brake when fully committed to anything.

Did this on a big double and never lost enough speed to roll it, result was a huge crash after landing on the upslope of the landing.

Plenty of occasions when the bike ended up over a drop with me hanging over the edge too.

If you're not riding well don't push yourself to do new things as it'll end up in tears.
    On the flipside, if you are riding well that's the time to try that jump/drop/whatever you've been fearing for months.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I would recommend against 'buzzing' a group of secondary school children out on a nature ramble in case one of them turns suddenly and you catch your handlebar on their bag and skittle the whole bunch of them.

Similarly it's not a good idea to tackle even a small jump one-handed just because there are a couple of girls standing nearby. There's a chance that you will land crossed-up, go cartwheeling down the trail and spend the next few weeks nursing your bust-up ribs.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Never say "i'll just do it one last time". Thats the time you bin it! :D
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Looking round on berms to see how far you are in front of your mates is another guaranteed way to stack

Don't try and adjust anything while you are riding along.
  • Axleuk
    .blitz wrote:
    Don't try and adjust anything while you are riding along.

Guilty
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    mudsucker wrote:

That's what I was going to say :lol: (yeah, a broke a rib just after I said that)

So, my other alternative is "forget the warm down. Just pack it in.", that's when you pull a muscle.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Do not try to put your foot down on a log ride.
    There is no log to put your foot on and falling sideways into mud will get you laughed at by your "mates" :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Always take enough fluid and energy products.
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    mudsucker wrote:

+1 broken arm, several broken ribs and torn ligaments in my shoulder and 2 months of no riding :(
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    edited July 2010
    Not checking descents i've never been on.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    mudsucker wrote:

Probably the best advice here.

Along with not checking descents to a point, but if I had checked one I did recently I would never have gone close to an 8 foot gap jump, let alone cleared it.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • marki3boy
    marki3boy Posts: 20
    Never start the ride thinking/saying “It’s only a trail centre”.
    Meta and two veg
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    You cannot use a bump on singletrack to perform a jump :P Ended up hitting another bump a few feet in front of the first, going over the bars, and bending the rear wheel.
  • Axleuk
    chedabob wrote:
    You cannot use a bump on singletrack to perform a jump :P Ended up hitting another bump a few feet in front of the first, going over the bars, and bending the rear wheel.

Guilty...this is not looking good.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    chedabob wrote:

you can...but if you do...be prepared for there to be another bump a few feet in front of the first, so as you don't go over the bars, bend your back wheel..break your ribs and get laughed at by your mates, 3 days before a planned 60 mile epic... (or is that just me :D )

Still went on the 60 miler though...that hurt....a lot
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    mudsucker wrote:

Yup... cost me 2 broken ribs, a hairline fracture to my shoulderblande

and worst of all.....

Scratched my Hope Bling :(
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    On a weekend trip away, cane it all day saturday, celebrate the day's riding by caning it all night in the pub.... suffer all day sunday because you are completely dehydrated...

I keep reminding myself of this every time I do it, but it still happens..... flat learning curve ;-(
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Axleuk
    Always take a crap before you start a long ride or at least pack some toilet roll. I nearly got caught short last week. Ended up donating a pair of boxer shorts to the forest gods.
  • don't fall off.

also agree with having a turd before setting off...
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Axleuk wrote:
    Always take a crap before you start a long ride or at least pack some toilet roll. I nearly got caught short last week. Ended up donating a pair of boxer shorts to the forest gods.

Oh yes, that's another one I'm guilty of. It's a good job Kielder forest has lots of bushes to squat behind.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • monkeylizard
    monkeylizard Posts: 155
    Do not decide to get your multitool from your camelbak as it's the best thing you can think of at the time for fixing one of your kid's toys.
    You will forget to put it back.
    You will then go for a ride for the first time ever without your multitool.
    You will then snap your chain for the first time ever.
    Whilst flipping the bike over to try and fashion a fix, you will see the powerlink go flying into the undergrowth.
    You will now realise that you have no powerlink, no tool, and insufficient knowledge to bodge it.
    This will happen at the point of your ride that is furthest from home. This will coincidentally be the point at which home is pretty much uphill all the way.
    You will also notice that your rear mech doesn't look quite like it should (pics later in a separate thread - need some advice).

Just a cautionary tale... :lol:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    How long have I got?
  • MountainPete
    MountainPete Posts: 418
    Never let anyone else ride your bike. It will end badly.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Splottboy wrote:
    How long have I got?

Hwat?
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    How long have I got...to describe ALL the mistakes I've made...so far.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Splottboy wrote:
    How long have I got...to describe ALL the mistakes I've made...so far.

Oh...

That's one lol from me.